Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, lots of ways of doing it, some work better for one person, not the next.
Yes, but what I've found, too, is that when it doesn't work for the other person, it is usually because they are not doing something right. And then they say that method doesn't work... Maybe they should try to find what they were doing wrong instead of just saying it doesn't work for them.

We all know coral reef keeping isn't all easy. We wouldn't be doing it, if that were the case, right? But geez, some of this stuff really isn't rocket science...

Like my sig says: Solutions are easy. The real difficulty lies in discovering the problem.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Maybe same premise, but not the same in actual practice. Bio pellets = easy, rest = PITA. It always kills me when I see people that insist on doing things the hard way... And you can't tell them otherwise...

Walk into kitchen....open up vinegar.....measure 20ml......dump into tank. If that's too much work then you're in the wrong hobby lol
Old 07-29-2015, 05:05 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
Walk into kitchen....open up vinegar.....measure 20ml......dump into tank. If that's too much work then you're in the wrong hobby lol
I'm lazy, I keep my bottle under the stand. I have a doser to add VSV, but see first comment. lol
Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I'm lazy,... would rather do it once a year (went a year and half last time) than once a day. Keeps nitrates near zero, and only test about once a month.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Or I suppose you could spend a couple hundred on a bio pellet reactor , plumb it into your system , replace pellets every six months ( or however often it is ) and check every once in a while to make sure they are tumbling correctly. Either way I would hardly say that's any easier than dosing vinegar or vodka etc.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:10 AM

Plainswalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or I suppose you could spend a couple hundred on a bio pellet reactor , plumb it into your system , replace pellets every six months ( or however often it is ) and check every once in a while to make sure they are tumbling correctly. Either way I would hardly say that's any easier than dosing vinegar or vodka etc.
I keep thinking about trying biopellets but I can't really beat the simplicity of adding vinegar using a doser. All I have to do is refill a container once a month. Very simple and straightforward - don't have to worry about pellet tumbling and I don't have to take apart the reactor to refill.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I used to be dead against biopellets because I saw so many people having troubles with them. There are a few things to keep in mind when using them, and other than that they do their job - really well. I don't need biopellets in my own tank, but I do use Prodibio (for good bacteria balance) and vinegar (to make the kalk more concentrated). Though the latter two the carbon dosing effect is the secondary effect for me.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
I keep thinking about trying biopellets but I can't really beat the simplicity of adding vinegar using a doser. All I have to do is refill a container once a month. Very simple and straightforward - don't have to worry about pellet tumbling and I don't have to take apart the reactor to refill.
I use a doser for Ca and alk, but have to test often and make occasional adjustments. Once the pellets are tumbling properly (no more than a day or two of flow adjustments), no other adjustments or maintenance necessary.

I tried the carbon dosing initially, and for me it was a big PITA with all the measuring, calculating, and adjusting to get your nitrates where you want them to be.

Plus with dosers there is always a risk if something goes wrong, whether it is lines plugging, calculation errors (esp initially), or Apex (or other timer) going nuts on you.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'm lazy, I keep my bottle under the stand. I have a doser to add VSV, but see first comment. lol

Even easier lol