Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM

hairston is on a distinguished road

i like the second one, looks very high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesox68 View Post
I have been advised that these aren't the best but I can't afford the best. I have read so many mixed reviews and I don't really understand LED's and brightness and par and all that stuff. All I know is I want a 3 watt, with a nice blue colour. Can someone please tell me the difference between these 2 and what you would go with, or if you know a better brand without a huge price jump? It would be tucked in a wooden canopy with fans
over a 40 tall

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/3178...d cons welcome
Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I thought it would be worth mentioning that the savings on these overseas lights extends to the DIY market too. If you are handy with a solder iron you can build custom fixtures to fit any tank at a fraction of the cost.

I purchased a Bridgelux 16 emitter kit, heat sink, pots, wire and two dimmable drivers for $110 shipped. Everything needed to build a kick ass led fixture.
Http://aquastyleonline.com
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM

bluesox68 is on a distinguished road

I would love to do a diy but thats over my head lol! I think I have decided on this one http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...573022517.html The only problem is I will be truing to mount in under my canopy and I just tope its easy to get to the on/off's and dimmers Opinions and feedback is welcome!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Not a bad choice really for the money. Although I might go with the first one you linked to since there's little info on the UV & Violet components on the one you've picked now. The first one lists the ratio of blue to white & the fact that they are Bridgelux LEDs, which is a well known brand. The second one has no info on how many UV or Violet LEDs are included & whether they're separately dimmable.

Looks like the fixture is well cooled with 3 fans, but you'll need to provide adequate clearance inside your hood for circulation. You don't want that too airtight.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-26-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM

bluesox68 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I really want to get it soon, My canopy is tall and well ventilated but its more a concern for easy access to on/off and dimmers. I know people have there concerns with this light in regards to corals but would it be fine for a bta that likes moderate light?