Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy a Lizard (Vanc.)

My son has been showing us that he is becoming more responsible and would like a lizard. We are still trying to decide on the type, I vote for Leopard Gecko but he is a light sleeper and it's nocturnal behavior might not mesh. We bought a tall 25gal tank at PetCetetera sale. Where might be the best place to buy the actual lizard. I know PetSmart has them but I would hesitate to buy a fish there, should I be as concerned with a lizard?

Thanks for any input.

Joe.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

Leopard Gecko's and fat tailed Gecko's are probably one of the best for 1st time Lizard owners and the 25 gallon tank should be fine for either of these types. They breed in captivity quite often so you may actually find one from someone locally via some type of reptile association or something. Bearded dragons are quite nice and fairly easy to look after IMO, but the 25 gallon tank wouldn't be even close to the space they would need.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Don't buy from chain pet stores... generally lesser quality than breeders. I would suggest buying/adopting from a shelter such as here (doesn't look like they have any leopard geckos though)...
http://www.reptilerescuerichmond.org/special.htm

...or buy from a breeder. check out this local reptile forum (quite a few breeders and reputable sponsor vendors here)...
http://dasnakes.com/bcrc/

Leopard geckos are great first choices if you're okay with keeping live crickets all the time. I'm lizard sitting for my brother and personally, i find the crickets to be the most annoying bit. I know they're not for everyone, but have you considered a snake? A cornsnake eats thawed frozen mice (a lot easier to keep than live food obviously) and is very undemanding yet very beautiful and rewarding as a pet. I got a hatchling cornsnake from a breeder on the above forum...
http://www.rrrcorns.com/index.htm
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Thank Justin,

Great info, just the type of thing I was looking for.

Joe.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 PM

cav~firez22 is on a distinguished road

Aquatic Addictions also has a large selection of reptiles i saw last time i was in there
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

I know there are a lot of people feeding canned crickets now, not sure how they compare to live though.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
Don't buy from chain pet stores... generally lesser quality than breeders. I would suggest buying/adopting from a shelter such as here (doesn't look like they have any leopard geckos though)...
http://www.reptilerescuerichmond.org/special.htm

...or buy from a breeder. check out this local reptile forum (quite a few breeders and reputable sponsor vendors here)...
http://dasnakes.com/bcrc/

Leopard geckos are great first choices if you're okay with keeping live crickets all the time. I'm lizard sitting for my brother and personally, i find the crickets to be the most annoying bit. I know they're not for everyone, but have you considered a snake? A cornsnake eats thawed frozen mice (a lot easier to keep than live food obviously) and is very undemanding yet very beautiful and rewarding as a pet. I got a hatchling cornsnake from a breeder on the above forum...
http://www.rrrcorns.com/index.htm
Great advice! The leos themselves do not make much noise but the crickets do (depending on size, adult crickets sing, smaller ones don't, if you always buy smaller subadult crickets you will be ok)
I think corns are excellent beginner snakes as well, the site justin mentioned also has corn breeders, and corns come in some WICKED colours these days.
(You will have to join that forum to view the classifieds, but, it's free and full of helpful people!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1803 View Post
I know there are a lot of people feeding canned crickets now, not sure how they compare to live though.
I've never used these myself as once you open it you have to use it all within a couple of days, which one leo just can't do. Then it gets pretty pricey. Plus some leos don't like dead food, so I wouldn't count on that 100% but that's an idea
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

Check out Rogers Aquatic in Surrey. He has all kinds of reptiles and supplies. Anoles are a great beginner lizard. He has an excellent staff that can make a recommendation to you.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

aquatic addictions has a wicked selection. i'm starting to lean toward the reptile side. uh oh

my tank setup
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 AM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

bearded dragons are grreat pets.