Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Xyres is on a distinguished road
Default About to buy some powerheads, and I would like some advice for a 55g.

So I am very new to the hobby and being only 20 cash it in short supply but dispite that I am putting a lot of money into this tank. It is a 55g that I am planning to have fish in, some corals and some anemones, the last two will be later on down the road. So with all that info my next question is this:

Would I be better off with one mp40 or two Tunze 6045? Is the different setting for the flow really that important? Is it worth spending the 300~ plus difference to get one pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Well, first question is: what live stock are you planning on keeping (in terms of corals)?

Tunze and Vortechs are on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of flow philosophy: tunze creates, more or less, strong laminar flow that can reach the opposite side of the tank where Vortechs create a wide turbulent field. Personally, I prefer the Vortechs not only for the flow patterns but for the overall product design and low profile.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Honestly I have no idea. Like i said I am still rather new to this so I am really just looking to get my tank started on a strong foot right now. I don't want to do something in the future and be hindered by a past purchase that wasn't what I needed.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Personally, I prefer the Vortechs not only for the flow patterns but for the overall product design and low profile.
+1 for their vast programming modes / features, and easy to clean wet sides vs a whole power head removal / cleaning
Noisy if you have them turned up higher, although some don't care

I run Vortechs

Tunze have there benefits too, so hopefully others will chime in here
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyres View Post
Honestly I have no idea. Like i said I am still rather new to this so I am really just looking to get my tank started on a strong foot right now. I don't want to do something in the future and be hindered by a past purchase that wasn't what I needed.
I understand but bare in mind it's better to plan for the future rather than front loading costs in the hopes of having everything you need for whatever may come. If you go softies, then you can aim for the lower end of the flow spectrum, if you go SPS you'll be in the upper end of the spectrum. The same applies to lighting (even more so). Take a look around the net for some tanks that you like the look of and see what they keep. Use that as a barometer for what you'll likely be keeping. Invariably you'll end up with a mixed reef but you need to be able to meet all the needs of your livestock. Don't be discouraged by the apparent difficulty of livestock like SPS. You can easily start with SPS (of the right kinds).

So, give it some thought as to what your future plan is and let us know. We'll be able to better help you once we know what your needs are.

On another note you don't NEED fancy power heads like tunze or Vortechs. I've gone for years using cheap hydors and have been successful... However I WANT Vortechs
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM

Well I do know that I want bubble coral, a toadstool and maybe a tree. TBH I think I would be leaning more towards softies but working my way up to a system that can have SPS but that might be a different tank all together. I'm not quite sure what a 55g can handle with salt.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyres View Post
Well I do know that I want bubble coral, a toadstool and maybe a tree. TBH I think I would be leaning more towards softies but working my way up to a system that can have SPS but that might be a different tank all together. I'm not quite sure what a 55g can handle with salt.
When it comes to coral, you can more or less keep any coral in any sized tank. I have a mixed reef that is dominated by SPS and it's only 50G.

If you are looking bubble coral, you'll want to stay at the medium to low end of the flow as they can be damaged by high direct flow. A Vortechs would be good as their flow is pretty diffuse but turbulent, so you won't have any strong direct flow at any one coral. And the fact they can be tuned down is a bonus.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM

Hmm that is what is making me lean towards the vortech, although the price of two 6045's is really appealing. Would the ability to control the flow and having just one for a while until I make a bit more money make that much of a difference over two non-adjustable ones where I would start with two?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

That's a good question ...

Cost wise ...
You have to weigh the cost of those 6045's against the future costs of whatever you want to upgrade to

Ya, it's a lot to pay now for the top end stuff, so, if you'd like to upgrade those 6045's later, look at what the resale value of those pumps is, and do some math ...

I'm not trying to push the Vortechs on you, and I'm sure Steve isn't either, but they do hold their value

Adjustability wise ...
I couldn't be happier with my pair of MP10wES
Best money I ever spent on prop pumps
I had a bit of a learning curve after I got them, but they are awesome, and I, after years of internal ugly powerheads, love the low profile

I'm still waiting to see if any Tunze users are going to chime in as they have their benifits too, such as better placement / angles of flow / low noise ...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 AM

No, its all good and I am honestly trying to be sold on one of these and all the input is great. Also another question! Would two mp10's be better than one MP40 for a 55g no sump?

And I really do appreciate all the help guys, as it is getting a lot off my mind and helping me set up a great tank.