Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 AM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default My overflow failed today :(

I just came home to see a perfectly working system, minus 4 gallons of water from my sump, and apparently 4 gallons of water in my carpet. It seems that my external overflow had failed for a short time, sending water cascading over the top of my tank, but then started working again before my sump went dry. I looked for signs of plugging from a hermit crab perhaps, but there was no evidence. All I can see is the clear trail of salt water from the top of the tank down and onto the floor. From the size of these water marks it looks like this was a pretty dramatic event. I live in an apartment and I'm just hoping no water leaked down into the unit under me.

Is there a simple way to rig up a water on the floor sensor to my return pump so that the return pump shuts off as soon as water starts to flow over the tank onto the floor? I did some searching but all I seem to read about are audible alarms and emails sent if the water sensor goes off. I just want it to cut my return if the tank starts overflowing.

Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

The alarm can always be changed into a relay instead which cuts off the power when the sensor senses flooding on the floor. If you are not good or not comfortable of riggig stuff like this it would be good to find someone who can.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

It might be easier to use a float switch to shutoff the pump in the event of a low water event in the sump. You could use an ATO system for this purpose. Most ATOs can be configured with a sensor in the reservoir to detect a low water condition and shut off the top off pump. Theres no reason why this wouldn't work with your sump and return pump.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your misfortune although I'm glad you didn't lose the tank.

- Brad

Last edited by abcha0s; 08-09-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

sorry to here, but glad to hear that it wasn't a complete catastrophe. Still, not something any of us want to come home to.. I'm curious as to what type of external overflow you are using that failed? Durso, Herbie, single stand pipe, siphon?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s@conceptaquatics View Post
It might be easier to use a float switch to shutoff the pump in the event of a low water event in the sump. You could use an ATO system for this purpose. Most ATOs can be configured with a sensor in the reservoir to detect a low water condition and shut off the top off pump. Theres no reason why this wouldn't work with your sump and return pump.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your misfortune although I'm glad you didn't lose the tank.

- Brad
This is a great idea if you don't have a big ATO reservoir connecting to the system directly. Else your low switch wont activate uitl the ATO reservoir is out of water.

What i do on my is that put a high float switches on both my sum and my display tank , if the water reach these levels, my pump shut off. Also have the water floor detection as well to shut off everything. Cant afford any water on my carpet or my wife will kill me

Also, about why you are getting overflow, i found that sometime if your overflow water has to travel horizontal to get to your sump, the air get into there and build it the back pressure which cause water could not drain fast enough

Last edited by Coleus; 08-09-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM

emerald crab is on a distinguished road

HOB overflow = russian rulette.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

by external do you mean you have a HOB overflow? If so then its an accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
by external do you mean you have a HOB overflow? If so then its an accident waiting to happen.
I agree if it depends on a pump like an aqualifter to restart siphon.
I its a utube overflow, you should not have failure for any reason.

Going on 4 years with my current DIY overflow never, ever failing.

People who say it's an accident waiting to happen are just ignorant on this subject...likely from lack of experience.

What kind of external overflow did you use?
If it happened once, it will happen again if you dont figure out why and how.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline

Thanks for the responses guys. It's a Lifereef utube overflow and has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I think something plugged the utube for awhile and then moved on, although I don't have any evidence. I have one hermit which is big enough to plug it and it can climb the glass. I do have an ato and it did activate but luckily it shuts down automatically after about 10min so some damage was contained there. A high water float switch in my display may work but it may be an eyesore IMO if I can't hide it. Can a controller like an apex or something control a floor water sensor to cut off my return instead of just sending an audible alarm? Is there a cheaper or easier way?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

an apex + io break out box + http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKQ75G will cut off your return pump