Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road
Default Reef Keeper Lite

just thought i'd start a discussion thread on the new RKL

if you dont know what it is here's a link:http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_pro...er=30-0012-001

so discuss away
some topics i think we might want to touch on are:

-pros/cons
-will it beat the RK2(quality wise)
-what do you think about the whole add on as you go idea?
-what are some things they should have included?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I would actually question the touch buttons, and if they are similar to the RKE.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Yeah, me too. I don't think I would touch first gen of any controller....six months or so after they are released maybe. Despite what the manufacturers say they all have/had problems and they all fail periodically. I am partial to the aquatronica as of right now. But I don't really see a need for a controller right now. There are some pretty sophisticated timers in home depot that would serve my purposes...combined with a few other things that is.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:30 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Why do they not have this out to the market yet if the have already discontinued the Reef Keeper 2 as I just found out today.

I cannot seem to find an ETA. I just want a simple controller for lights and to monitor temp and PH, this might be the right tool for a guy like me

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

BRS still seem to have RK2's if you are looking for them. I have one and it's very solid.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Floop70 is on a distinguished road

Looks like they are shooting for the middle of Feb.

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/downl...0Pre-order.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I cannot seem to find an ETA. I just want a simple controller for lights and to monitor temp and PH, this might be the right tool for a guy like me
Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

this one sounds interesting!! seems like good value
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I find it amazing in the currently digitized world that there is a lack of software/hardware available that uses a common PC or Notebook computer. I doubt that there are many hobbyists out there that don't have a computer and yet in the aquarium trade, we're still being offered mainly 'additional' controllers! Few of these offer the option to interface with a PC. So you end up with more gear which uses proprietary parts and software that precludes any flexibility and future options.

Most of the controlling should be easily accomplished with sensors feeding a computer through an RS232 port or nowadays, USB2. It's surprising no one has taken the opportunity to exploit this market niche, or maybe they have and I'm just unaware.

As far as my own system is concerned, it's pretty basic and I'm able to get along using various timers to control the lighting and ATO. In a way I'm also guilty as charged though, since I have a VorTech pump which has it's own controller!

Last edited by mike31154; 01-28-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I've a RK2 on order from Gold's but I have a feeling it is never going to come in with the unit being dicontinued. I think I will have to chat with them about the lite unit. Looks like they really designed it as a replacement to the RK2 and more of an entry level aption to the elite.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I find it amazing in the currently digitized world that there is a lack of software/hardware available that uses a common PC or Notebook computer. I doubt that there are many hobbyists out there that don't have a computer and yet in the aquarium trade, we're still being offered mainly 'additional' controllers! Few of these offer the option to interface with a PC. So you end up with more gear which uses proprietary parts and software that precludes any flexibility and future options.

Most of the controlling should be easily accomplished with sensors feeding a computer through an RS232 port or nowadays, USB2. It's surprising no one has taken the opportunity to exploit this market niche, or mayby they have and I'm just unaware.

As far as my own system is concerned, it's pretty basic and I'm able to get along using various timers to control the lighting and ATO. In a way I'm also guilty as charged though, since I have a VorTech pump which has it's own controller!
Yup, thats why I'm building my own controllers from PLC's I make the programs and I can use my PC as a monitoring screen/user interface

Umm, a tank or 5