Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM

inspector is on a distinguished road
Default poyp's being eaten?????

Hi all,I got up this morning to find 3 out of my 5 colony yellow polyps had been eaten not a trace of them left on the rock?I have hermit crabs,snails,cleaner shrimp,peppermint shrimp,abalone,lawn mower blennie,rainsford goby,clown goby and two clon fish do any of these eat polyps.appreciate any advice thanks Paul
Old 04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Possibly the hermits. What type are they?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Possibly your peppermint shrimp if the yellow polyps closely resemble aptaisa anemones.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 04-07-2005, 08:01 PM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy

Sundial snails? they almost wiped a colony of my polyps...I fixed them though. They're sneaky little buggers, dont think they could have wiped out a colony overnight.

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road

As you can see in the various replies, it can be anything in your tank. My best guess are the inverts. Are you feeding them? If they are starving badly, they will turn on your softies for dinner. Maybe try feeding them small bits of raw table shrimp or scallop. I usually stick a small piece on the end of a pointed stick and offer it to them. They'll grab it and pull it off the stick and I repeat for the next invert. This way, I can make sure everyone eats and also keeps the tank clean.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 PM

inspector is on a distinguished road
Default polyps

hi I have blue legged,scarlet and i think a zebra hermit it has black legs with white patch's and it's left claw is very large compared to the right claw.they all seem to be fed well,it could be the peppermint as the polyps do look alittle like apitasia.thanks for the replies Paul