Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
Crazy hot in August. Bring lots of mosquito repellant as when the sun goes down, they come out in droves ( it's still a jungle in Mayan riviera)
The best resorts in Mexico are the "dreams resorts". If you go, you gotta check out the state park called Xcaret. There's an underground river that you can float down into the ocean. Also some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced is there.
Why don't you consider Hawaii ? With the tropical trade winds, doesn't feel as hot, and lots of cheap airfares in August.
Actually I found no mosquitos there in the summer, but xmas time, yuppers. And boy do those small critters pack a wollup.

Xcaret is another great excursion, same company owns all three areas: XelHa, Xcaret and Xtreme... Because of the age of your kids, I would recommend XelHa.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Rui Palace Riviera Maya in Playa was absolutely a 5 Star resort. And if you stay there you can use any facility in the other Rui hotels along the beach there. Kids club was excellent when we were there.. Highly recommended but very pricey..
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Just thought I should also post where I am going this xmas. Check out Marina El Cid Resort and Spa.

This is a much smaller resort (350 rooms), and we are trying it for something different. Haven't been there before, but reviews and comments from others, is that this place is luxurious. Resort is built on the water, so you have waterfront rooms and garden rooms (backside). The gardens are beautiful from what I can see.

The pool is huge, with cliff jumping built into it and with 2 water slides.

Check it out!
Thank you so much for all your feedbacks. I will definitely give you a call if I have any more questions.
David
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
Crazy hot in August. Bring lots of mosquito repellant as when the sun goes down, they come out in droves ( it's still a jungle in Mayan riviera)
The best resorts in Mexico are the "dreams resorts". If you go, you gotta check out the state park called Xcaret. There's an underground river that you can float down into the ocean. Also some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced is there.
Why don't you consider Hawaii ? With the tropical trade winds, doesn't feel as hot, and lots of cheap airfares in August.
Hawaii will be our destination next year. My wife is not a Canadian citizen yet so she can't really visit the US without applying for visa so we thought we'll save all the US destinations until after she becomes a Canadian citizen. We just put in the application a few months ago so hopefully, she will be one next year
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

I would not recommend Xel-Ha. $90 per person to see cloudy water and not much else.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
I would not recommend Xel-Ha. $90 per person to see cloudy water and not much else.
I paid $39 for each child and $59 (I think, could've been $69) for each adult. I went to XelHa in the summer, but did notice that prices went up during the busy season, so maybe that is the case for you.

The water wasn't cloudy, but of course there are area's where the fresh water mixes with the salt (because of the lazy river which is fresh water), this causes not cloudiness but the salinity change, which you can see. Very cool actually. Overall the water was very clear for us.

We saw stingrays, lots of large and small fish, things like various species of tangs, very large parrot fish, and so much more. Even large conches moving along the bottom of the sea floor.

I guess with anything, there can be variances, time of the year and so forth. And because this is a natural lagoon, fish can easily come and go from the sea.

In regards to price, on anything, make sure you shop around, as you can find major price differences from each vendor (remember this is still Mexico, and if they can take you to the cleaners, many will). That is why I recommned Francisco at the Coba Pool, I found him to be honest, and he even got to know me and gave me pricing that no one could or was willing to match or beat.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker

Last edited by globaldesigns; 07-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I've stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum and we would walk over and use the Coba facilities. Both are really nice properties! You'll have a great time there. I loved the train shuttle that goes all over the property.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road

If you want snorkling don't go to xel-ha. Go 15min. north to Akumal. It is a public beach with places to rent gear. You will see turtles, stingrays, a few reefs and hundreds of fish. A way better option. And other than the price for rentals it is free!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_man16 View Post
If you want snorkling don't go to xel-ha. Go 15min. north to Akumal. It is a public beach with places to rent gear. You will see turtles, stingrays, a few reefs and hundreds of fish. A way better option. And other than the price for rentals it is free!
That is a great place, that is where the sea turtles are if you take the boat from the Coba beach. As Axe_man stated, you can take a taxi to it, but the boat ride was fun.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM

After lots of research and consultation, I've decided to stay at Grand Riviera Princess in Maya. Westjet got my money now so there's no turning back. Thank you all for the feedbacks. If you have anything more that you want to add, please feel free to do so. I am looking forward to a great trip with lots of fun and memories