Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

I can add to the Bristle worm photo's.

Found the worm in my bucket of rock while moving the tank to the new place.... Had to wait 20 minutes for a friend to bring me Duct tape (best way to remove the bristles)

And the cause of the problem, tank is 18" wide, and it hasn't stretched out yet in this picture.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I remember reading that and I think it was some sort of brownish palythoas and the dog drank the water the polyps were fragged in, so it was probably a variety of palythoas that contained the toxine and there was probably a large amount of it. Is that true? not sure as a lot of things we read are just made up.

But zoanthids have never been proven to actualy contain the palytoxine. Palythoas maybe yes, but not the 3 varieties of zoanthids (even what we call paly are still zoanthids) that we use in aquarium.

Of course if you start eating your coral, you might get very sick from most of them. I never ever read or heard anytyhing about people getting sick from toutching zoanthids with their bare hands and I never felt anything from toutching and fragging them with my bare hands, even with cuts and wounds and scratches on my hands. I even once scratched my finger badly while removing zoanthids from totoka liverock and only after one hour of fragging I realized that I was bleeding from that scratch yet no metallic taste in my mouth, no dizinnes, no nosea etc..

I am not saying it cannot happen but we should not be histerical either.
Being cautious around what we do not fully understand is not what I would consider hysteria. How many people in this hobby do you figure can accurately identify what is a zoanthus and what is a palythora? The vast majority of people that I've encountered just call everything zoos. Anthony Calfo poisoned himself on more than one occasion after handling some kind of zoanthidea and then directly or indirectly touching his mouth.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-21-2010, 05:26 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Recycled beer? but no more alcohol. Who wants to drink beer without alcohol? Never mind that, who wants to drink their pee? not me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
MMMMmmm recycled beer
Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes well, that's common sense to wash your hands before you put them in your mouth after handling any coral, not just zoanthids. This can still happen if one is not carefull and toutch the gloves he or she used and then put the hands in the mouth.

I am not saying it's not dangerous but it's not very dangerous and very low risk. You will not die from just plainly handling zoanthids or other coral but you might if you eat it or drink the water from fragging, so keep your children AWAY from this when you frag but I will not put gloves.

There are some much more dangerous things in our aquarium than zoanthids, like the vibrio bacteria, the fish tuberculose and many other bacterias that could be potentially harmfull, yet those occurences are extremely rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Being cautious around what we do not fully understand is not what I would consider hysteria. How many people in this hobby do you figure can accurately identify what is a zoanthus and what is a palythora? The vast majority of people that I've encountered just call everything zoos. Anthony Calfo poisoned himself on more than one occasion after handling some kind of zoanthidea and then directly or indirectly touching his mouth.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

after got sting serveral times by my long spined urchin, now everytime i always watch where he is before putting my hand in.

Got sting by anemone, long spined urchin, bristles worms. Out of three, anemone was the worst, it last for days.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Got nailed by a Foxface Rabbitfish recently, that was not fun I must say......................
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Interesting. I toutched my rock flower anemones tentacles many times but never felt anything other than the tentacles are sticking to the skin but no sting and no pain. I guess that rock flower anemones do not sting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
after got sting serveral times by my long spined urchin, now everytime i always watch where he is before putting my hand in.

Got sting by anemone, long spined urchin, bristles worms. Out of three, anemone was the worst, it last for days.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Interesting. I toutched my rock flower anemones tentacles many times but never felt anything other than the tentacles are sticking to the skin but no sting and no pain. I guess that rock flower anemones do not sting?
Just dependes on how sensitive you are to toxins. Everything stings, that's why they stick. Some are more potent than others. I will not let anyone touch my green carpet, he has the nastyest sting in our tank. I work with my hands and it's sting hurts, the harder he latches on the worse the sting. So i can imagine what sensitive people go through. We have seen people with large rashes and lesions from coral stings.

Last edited by no_bs; 06-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Bristle worms are the only thing that really sting me , have brushed against all kinds of coral including torches & an extremely sticky carpet with no effect.

The last few times I have been really badly stung by a BW the next day I'm highly nauseous and have a killer migraine. Itchy itchy fingers too .
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Well if they sting I am immune to it because I can't feel a thing beside the tentacles sticking to my skin when I pull away. Same result with my duncans as the tentacles often stick to my skin but I don't feel anything remotely painfull.

The people at the LFS when I bought both anemones were handling them out of the water and into the bag with their bare hands, toutching it quite a bit. Did not seem to hurt either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bs View Post
Just dependes on how sensitive you are to toxins. Everything stings, that's why they stick. Some are more potent than others. I will not let anyone touch my green carpet, he has the nastyest sting in our tank. I work with my hands and it's sting hurts, the harder he latches on the worse the sting. So i can imagine what sensitive people go through. We have seen people with large rashes and lesions from coral stings.