Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM

newreefer_59 is on a distinguished road
Default Question: Cost aside, is a smaller reef tank easier to care for than a larger tank?

Other than the obvious size of water changes, etc.....is a smaller tank easier to keep, or can there be other issues with a smaller tank that you may may not have with a larger one. I know this is a general question, but I am asking for a novice friend.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

I think a smaller tank is actually harder to keep. I have a 150G tank and a 28G nanocube. I have much more problems with the cube than the DT. IMO, bigger tanks are more forgiving than smaller ones.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

"The solution to pollution is dilution" (i.e. small volume = easily contaminated or negatively chemically affected). Overfeeding once can lead to Ammonia, Nitrite/Nitrate spike or a dead snail can do the same in a pico or small nano; whereas a large tank volume could absorb something like that happening without a large effect.

Small tanks its often more important to have covered because evaporation over a couple of hot summer days can lead to significant evaporation and salinity change. At the same time, you have to be aware of temp. spikes cause small volumes will change more rapidly than large volume systems.

For small systems, I've come to appreciate all-in-ones. Have a Red Sea Max (34g) and really like it. Will be setting up a BioCube 14 next week and that's as small as I would want to go.

The real "trick" with going small is to control the natural urge to overstock. The BioCube14 will be getting a pair of donated tank-bred fancy clowns & an established, "eating frzn" goby.

Anthony
Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
"The solution to pollution is dilution" (i.e. small volume = easily contaminated or negatively chemically affected). Overfeeding once can lead to Ammonia, Nitrite/Nitrate spike or a dead snail can do the same in a pico or small nano; whereas a large tank volume could absorb something like that happening without a large effect.

Small tanks its often more important to have covered because evaporation over a couple of hot summer days can lead to significant evaporation and salinity change. At the same time, you have to be aware of temp. spikes cause small volumes will change more rapidly than large volume systems.

Anthony
Very well said. I totally agree.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Bigger tank = more forgiving when things go wrong
Smaller tank = lower cost in maintenance and setup (to some extend)

One of the prime advantage of smaller tank is how easily you can carry out maintenance on it than a larger tank (although it can required more maintenance than a bigger system). Another advantage would be how quickly a smaller tank will attain the matured look than a bigger tank. In the end, its more of a personal choice. And I always say, a smaller tank with proper maintenance is much better than a bigger tank with no care.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM

fishpoops is on a distinguished road

I got an AIO 28 gallon tank in april, I find with this tank maintenance is comparable to a fresh water tank, with the exception of making the water. 5-10 minutes a day when I don't test, 1/2 hour if I do a few tests at the same time. Water changes are about the same. if you have everything ready to go it doesn't take too long.

It's kinda like cleaning a house, a little bit every day saves you from having to spend hours on it all at once.

as for larger SW tanks I cannot say as I have been told I have to budget for a bright shiny object for the boss before I get one of those...

Last edited by fishpoops; 06-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

No with smaller comes potential for chemistry swings to be exponentially more noticeable

Example. Evaporation raises salinity. High salinity can be a detriment to some things.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

As most already stated it can be more difficult to maintain a smaller system but IMO the rewards are often way better.

Pluses

Easier to maintain
Easier to find a place to put a tank
Easier to see your fruits of your labours
No need to mix water every few days
Smaller fish are often more active
Huge water changes are not the logistical problem as in larger systems

Minuses

When things go bad hey go bad fast
Death of almost anything in a small tank can create issues within a matter of less than an hr
Evaporation is a major pain
Salinity changes can be huge if salt creep falls in

IMO having a much larger prorated skimmer will save you so many issues and I have found mine has saved my tank on a few occasions. I have a 33 gallon tank and my HOB skimmer is rated for up to 75 gallons and I have had fish death not noticed for up to 24 hrs and hasn't overly affected my tank.

Smaller tanks can be strikingly beautiful as it is both easier and harder to aquascape and coral again can be both easier and harder to maintain due to supplement and lighting needs of some types of coral

Unfortunately you are limited to smaller species of fish but again they can be way more active than the larger species and more entertaining to watch

This is controversial with many but I don't test my water regularly I think the last time I tested it was 3 months ago all I test usually is salinity every water change but in smaller systems water parameters can change fast so its a personal choice

I am slowly upgrading to a 95 gallon but my 33 gallon will always be my favorite

Last edited by Dearth; 06-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

No.
One is not easier to take care of than the other.
They both require daily maintenance and monitoring.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Nanos

I have been running nanos for a few yrs. evap./ temp/salinity changes are a given. I have found that a slightly more "techy" nano ei; controller, auto top off etc. will help a lot. However, diligent husbandry and WC's can control parameters easily too. Keep tabs on livestock and steer clear of frozen foods.

On the plus, small costs! Less lighting, less powerful pumps and skimmers etc. maintenance costs stay under 300-400$/yr and quite frankly, bigger systems never appealed to me from the start and still I prefer nanos!
IMO, if an lfs promotes a 10 gallon starter system, they should at least tell the newb that its the daily maintenance that is the biggest challenge.

If ur slightly OCD about a clean and maintained tiny tank, nanos r for you!

My two cents.