Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Oh, forgot this picture. This is who the Tang shares his pad with currently.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 AM

burtonboy is on a distinguished road

WOW!! Amazing story Kein! Glad to see him swimming around and eating considering all he's been through. I love Atlantic blue tangs and hopefully I'll have one one day. Hope to see him around here for a long time

Daniel
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Oh, forgot this picture. This is who the Tang shares his pad with currently.

I hate you and laurier now! LOL I am gonna HAVE to have a Potters in my next tank!

crazy story about the Atlantic Blue. Glad he is doing well for ya. Sounds like a fighter!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's awesome. Although you're not alone in the fish CPR department. I've tried this in the past too - sometimes with luck (once off the Glenmore docks, someone tried to catch and release a pike and had some trouble with his line getting tangled) - poor guy didn't know what to do - grabs a passing sailor and says "please help". I looked at the fish and did what you just did off the docks - eventually some life sprang into him and he lazily swam off.

However in my tank fish I've only tried it on fish that my old ritteri anemone killed with its invisible cloud of death. None were successful and I think now it's because their gills were damaged by whatever it was (shed nematocysts or whatever - I still think it was something else - but speaking to Calfo about it he kind of poo-poo'd the idea - "I'm Anthony Calfo and you're not" .. so who knows. All I know is all that thing had to do was burp and I'd lose a tankful of fish within half an hour .. as much as I love those anemones and their spectacular awesomeness, I'm done keeping that species in captivity!!)

Anyhow good luck with the cooties. Once he gets his strength up he should recover. FW dips are awful but sometimes they really do work (just as you said though .. it only gets the adults). After all I've read on flukes I've come to the conclusion that pretty much all new fish, and particularly angels and tangs, should be considered carriers if not outright infected. If in QT people will prazi their QT tank 4 times, one week apart. I have a theory, that if not already infected, that a healthy strong fish's slime coat will repel most if not all of the larva who try to attach and thus that's why we don't always see symptoms in new fish - but anything to stress the fish will compromise his immunity - in your case, the empty bag and near death experience - in my case, a rather severe case of hazing for the first 2 days .. and that's all the cooties needed to gain a foothold.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I looked at the fish and did what you just did off the docks - eventually some life sprang into him and he lazily swam off.
I've never done it before but this is where I must have seen it, on fishing TV. I must have seen them do it numerous times :-) In hindsight I should have just plunked him in my acclimation bucket I guess I was just afraid at the time that the temperature wouldn't equalize quick enough because the tank is in a pretty cold room. Lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I hate you and laurier now! LOL I am gonna HAVE to have a Potters in my next tank!
:
I used to think that Flames were my favourite angles but this guy is right up there. Just as cool and interesting as my Flame.

Last edited by kien; 02-23-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Wow Kien! you must have fish angels or horseshoes or something...glad he is a fish with 9
lives. Great story glad you told us...might just save a life sometime...hope.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post

I used to think that Flames were my favourite angles but this guy is right up there. Just as cool and interesting as my Flame.

I've always loved the potters, just never wanted to add one with my well established Coral Beauty.. I'm sure it would be a Battle Royale!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Kien your passion for the hobby, your fish and your tank is incredible and endearing! Very awesome that it has worked out for your little tang! Glad you did not give up on the little guy/gal! Also LOVE the Potters! If I didn't have a Flame I too would choose a Potters. Gorgeous fish!
GREAT STORY!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Amazing story Kien! I'm glad it worked out for you, he's a beautiful fish. The potters is stunning too

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:41 PM

MrsBugmaster is on a distinguished road

WOW! That is a great story. I'm glad the little fish pulled through for you. I hope you have him/her for a long time to come.