Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Then why not put that right there in the petition and leave out the commercial business part and I would bet that most people in the Pet Industry would be right behind you. And forget the ban part, put in restrictions and guidelines which reputatable Pet Stores already follow.
Ideally this is obviously better but not the case. Ideally I should be able to drive my car 10X as fast as a fully loaded semi on the highway but perfection doesn't exist in this world. Nothing will favor every individual 100% and trying to do so results in too much grey zone making it virtually useless. I guess making things black and white is easier to manage and enforce producing better results. I've gotten use to this and tend to look for the greater good, don't always agree with the approach but if the results are sound I'm usually OK with it.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Hey Phelps here is the post that started this debate. They are clearly not out to ban puppy sale at Pet Stores!!!!
Yeah I know, my point was it won't ban puppies, you'll still be able to get a puppy when you want one. Pet stores will be forced to work with rescues and shelters and by doing so can still sell puppies.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

But if Pet Stores don't sell puppies where will these shelters get puppies for anyone to buy???? Anyway enough of this, good chatting with you again, it's been awhile, miss your opinions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Yeah I know, my point was it won't ban puppies, you'll still be able to get a puppy when you want one. Pet stores will be forced to work with rescues and shelters and by doing so can still sell puppies.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not really... Will you still be able to get a dog?
Which is why I keep asking what will this do? What is the percentage of dog sales via pet retail stores? Why punish the reputable store owners?

Quote:
And yes but there are regulations all ready in place, you can't just go to the ocean and start harvesting and selling livestock, not legally anyway.
What's your point? What regulations are you referring to? I don't think I need to remind you that the animals in our hobby don't come from our ocean.

I'd also be interested to know who sits on the board of this organization that is proposing this bylaw.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Ideally this is obviously better but not the case. Ideally I should be able to drive my car 10X as fast as a fully loaded semi on the highway but perfection doesn't exist in this world. Nothing will favor every individual 100% and trying to do so results in too much grey zone making it virtually useless.
Nice straw man argument.

Quote:
I guess making things black and white is easier to manage and enforce producing better results. I've gotten use to this and tend to look for the greater good, don't always agree with the approach but if the results are sound I'm usually OK with it.
But what will the results be of this ban?

Again, based on history with various municipalities around, what happens when marine ornamentals are targetted? What if they are just "collateral damage"? If it's for the greater good, you're okay with that? Legislation like this makes it easier for marine ornamentals to legislated.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
But if Pet Stores don't sell puppies where will these shelters get puppies for anyone to buy???? Anyway enough of this, good chatting with you again, it's been awhile, miss your opinions!!!
Supply and demand bro, currently supply is too high so you go right for testicles and tie a Herculies knot around them. Hurts like hell but effective. If demand becomes too high you loosen the knot a little perhaps allowing regulated breeding. The important thing to remember is yes at first your balls will be blue but eventually they will swing free.... wait what was I talking about again?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Supply and demand bro, currently supply is too high...
Based on what stats? What percentage do pet retail stores contribute to the availability of dogs? Again, this is misdirected legislation.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
Based on what stats? What percentage do pet retail stores contribute to the availability of dogs? Again, this is misdirected legislation.
Do you really want me to show stats saying there are too many dogs out there??? What percentage stores contribute is irrelevant, if car accidents keep occurring at an intersection do they stop younger, older, or ethnic drivers from using it? No they decrease the speed limit and make everyone suffer for the greater good.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Do you really want me to show stats saying there are too many dogs out there??? What percentage stores contribute is irrelevant,
The percentage that stores contribute is very relevant due to sole fact that this legislation targets them and them only. Are the unwanted dogs coming from sales from pet retail stores?

Quote:
if car accidents keep occurring at an intersection do they stop younger, older, or ethnic drivers from using it? No they decrease the speed limit and make everyone suffer for the greater good.
You make my point. Banning dog sales in pet stores is akin to shutting the intersection down.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

All I will say is anything like the proposed is usually an extremist move. I do agree with what will it do? Why penalize responsible store owners? etc, etc, etc....

It is like our hobby, wait until they start on us... Lets all just try to be responsible humans. Yes I said HUMANS... Overall, we can be a very STUPID species. We have a long history to prove our stupidity, ignorance or whatever you wish to call it.

I myself bought my last dog from Petsmart, and would buy again from there!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk