Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking good. I'm interested in seeing how this goes because I will soon be plumbing up something myself and every idea that I can "borrow" could help me avoid making too many mistakes. Please take some more pictures of the plumbing as you complete it.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

love the progress looking good man ,keep it up
Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Will the sump be able to handle all the drainage from the two systems in the event of a power outage? That would be my only concern. Cant believe you talked "Mama" into the whole idea. Good for you though...looks good....Im envious.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Wow excellent looking tank. Great work with all of the plumbing as well!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:20 AM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments guys.... Doug The water turnover in the sump will not change from what it is now in regards to vollume anyway.... As far as the drainage from the main floor tank... I have installed a back check valve so that should eliminate the siphoning for the most part... so that just really leaves the amount of water from the main floor overflow (about 5 gallons). I don't think that the water level (correct me if I am wrong) in the fowlr tank should really change because there is no overflow and the two tanks are running parallel to each other. I guess next weekend I will find out though....... Should be scary!! I think that if anything I will run the 60g sump about half full and then if there is a power outage it can catch the 5gallons from the main floor overflow and what is in the pipes and the water level in the sump and fowlr tank should balance themselves out. HOPEFULLY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Will the sump be able to handle all the drainage from the two systems in the event of a power outage? That would be my only concern. Cant believe you talked "Mama" into the whole idea. Good for you though...looks good....Im envious.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 AM

So the more that I think about this....... I think I will have to run the water level for the fowlr tank and the sump at about 2-3" from the top of the tanks in order to handle the extra water if there is a power outage. I will have to do some testing when I plumb them all together to find the safe zone.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Well Saturday is the BIG day for merging the tanks and moving the sump into the basement.... I think everything is just about ready... I have the 110 filled, mixed and up to temperature. I have also mixed up another 60 gallons of saltwater and have it at the right temp aswell for refilling the sump.

All I have left to do is disconnect and move the sump. Drill holes in the floor under the DT and finish plumbing it all together.

Wish me luck!!! I will post some pics when I am finished.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:19 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Good luck! That sounds like a fun adventure :-)
Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 AM

Well long day trying to get everything completed. I did manage to get the sump out from under the display tank... Unfortunately I cracked both sides of it during the extraction..... So after that I just put it into the garage for the time being and had to come up with a new game plan... So I just basically plumbed the new tank into the DT as if it was the sump and allowed for the addition of the sump after it is repaired... Everything is working properly now and no leaks so all is good.... I am tired now and going to bed. I will post some pics in the morning.

BTW What a Sh@tty UFC tonight... Forest was a joke at best and BJ won.... I don't think anything else could have gone wrong today!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 AM

Here are some pics of the prgress so far.... I have to get the sump fixed so I just basically ran the plumbing around where it will go until I get it fixed and in place.. Then I will plumb it into the system and move all of the equipment into it. The tank and area is pretty messy right now but will look much better once everything is finished.

Full tank shots

New baracuda pump

Here is where the sump will be placed