Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Polyp Lab is on a distinguished road

"If a person was running a skimmer on there system that was just able to keep up with removing the nutrients out of there reef or running at 100% efficiency without them knowing so, wouldn't the results of using this product do more harm than good?"

I believe your are asking:
"If your skimmer is already working at a maximum load, won't the product cause the skimmer to be over loaded?

No. Skimmer performance is based on contact time, bubble size and also the type of organic material you are trying to skim out. Bacteria cells have a very high affinity to the surface of a gas-liquid interface. So efficiency is improved when you are trying to skim out bacterial flock. You will notice that your skimmer is producing more skimmate when using this product.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyp Lab
"

You will notice that your skimmer is producing more skimmate when using this product.

I started this system on Saturday and I have already noticed that my skimmate is thicker.
By the way, as I have already posted ,I have took pics of some test frags (from Chilliwackreefer) and recorded prams. before I started and will post updated pics. every Sunday, starting next week...
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Does anyone that has been using this have an update? Maybe some pictures?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:49 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I started using it last wednesday, can't really say if it makes a difference yet or not, although my yellow fiji leather appears to love it

What I have noticed, is my skimmer (a berlin xl) will no longer produce a wet skimmate and it's turned up as high as it can go. The skimmate looks kind of like baby diahrea, same consistency and same yellow brown colour and lots of it

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Pics???

OK anybody have any before and after pics out there??? Somebody must have something ...........

This tread is almost five weeks old ........
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Tangman wrote over two weeks ago:
Quote:
I have took pics of some test frags (from Chilliwackreefer) and recorded prams. before I started and will post updated pics. every Sunday, starting next week...
So any chance on getting a look at those pics yet

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpfinfishe
Tangman wrote over two weeks ago:

So any chance on getting a look at those pics yet
Sorry ,got very busy, wasn't able to take pics. after one week, but the results after one week were amazing, you could see the color improvement every day.
But then I ran into trouble ... my skimmer is very underpowered and I have a crushed coral substrate ,which was very dirty( a lot of organic waste) and by adding this product ,you are adding bacteria and nutrients (fuel to feed the bacteria) that bind to other nutrients that are already in your tank and then get skimmed out , creating a low nutrient environment. I was not able to do this because my skimmer is too small and my system was too nutrient rich in the first place. As a result of all this I had a very large algae bloom that I am dealing with, so I have stopped using the product until I get a new skimmer and clean up the rich nutrient situation. I didn't have a algae problem before I started, but its all about balance and when I started the product, it didn't take very long before my system, my skimmer in particular, couldn't handle it.
I will try this again once I remedy the situation
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 PM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

I've had the most growth I've ever seen since using this product, however I have experienced some bleaching on a couple of acro pieces. The number of new growth tips is astounding, and I guarantee it's due to the RF.

A question I would like to ask PolypLab is: Can I stop using the RF-Fuel? I find that this carbon source is most likely what's bleaching my SPS. I can't confirm that but would rather try and avoid this happening to other pieces. I would still continue to dose the other 3.

Any impact?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road
Default REEF-RESH started 10-MAY-2006

Just wanted to chime in that I've started using it yesterday!

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:48 PM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

A follow up to my experience with bleaching. I found out that two of my acros had Acro Eating FWs and not because of the carbon source of RR. I removed those two pieces and basically threw them in the garbage. None of my other acros seem to be affected. Funny though since I haven't added any new pieces or fish for a few months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyreefer
I've had the most growth I've ever seen since using this product, however I have experienced some bleaching on a couple of acro pieces. The number of new growth tips is astounding, and I guarantee it's due to the RF.

A question I would like to ask PolypLab is: Can I stop using the RF-Fuel? I find that this carbon source is most likely what's bleaching my SPS. I can't confirm that but would rather try and avoid this happening to other pieces. I would still continue to dose the other 3.

Any impact?