Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-07-2002, 11:05 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Poci, you can check out CanadaWest's BTA. It looks just like everyone else's. He recently upgraded to MH so maybe he'll be be kind enough to show us what it looks like now.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:43 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

My BTAs look nearly identical to Sam's, and photos are available on my website (link below in signature line). I will try to get some updated photos posted in a couple days, but both of mine are HUGE now compared to the older photos on the website. The website photos are pre-MH.

In regards to the MH upgrade, it hasn't really affected the BTAs as the MH is mounted in the center of the tank, and the BTAs are off to the left side under a combo of 2 NO 6500K lamps and 2 VHO atinics on my Icecap 660, which was the lighting the BTAs have been living under (and successfully I might add) for the previous 9 months before the MH addition.

I think the increased expansion I've noticed over the past few months could be due to the BTAs enjoying the MH intensity coming from the center of the tank, but neither BTA has bothered to move under the MH lamp in the 6 months I've had it running, so that leads me to believe they do not need to be directly underneath it to be happy, otherwise they would have moved there by now, right? :|

And as an aside, neither of my BTAs have ever shown dominant "bubble tips" since I've had them, and that's been 15 months for the parent and 10 or so months for the split. Both continue to grow at a rapid pace and look very healthy. Both are also active hosts to my pair of Percula clowns, so perhaps hosting is a factor in non-bubble-tip formation?

Just opinions based on observations I have made of the animals in my own tank, as I am certainly not an expert in anemone species.

Andrew B.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

LOL, well, poc, obviously I have been hopelessly brainwashed by seeing so many of the damn things being called that ! And no, you will have to pay for your BTA clone just like everyone else

Here's an interesting addition:

Quote:
Before you buy a bubble-tip anemone, you need to distinguish it from other clownfish host anemones. — Fortunately, this isn’t difficult. One way is to look for the bulbs or bubble tips. This feature is unique to E. quadricolor and serves to differentiate it from other clownfish host anemones, although the bubble tips are not always present. Another distinguishing feature is the column. The column of E. quadricolor is smooth and without verrucae (the warty protuberances that appear along the column of all large symbiont anemones, with the exception of E. quadricolor).
and article
Old 10-08-2002, 01:05 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
I am only an ordinary electrician so I do not have all that theory. I will try to put up the post when I get it all straight in my mind.
is this going to be a while? :shock:

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:48 AM

Acro is on a distinguished road

Emily, What are the chances of you getting a nice close up of your bta? I would like to see the zooxanthalle structure in the tentacles. Also if Bob could do the same.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:24 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

OK Jamie this is the best I can do. I only have a HP 315. Four pics at 640x480. The last one was taken in daylight, and supplemented with flash.
BTW you can see the blunted ends on some tentacles, and the column is smooth. Thus it should be E. quadricolor ?

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 10-08-2002, 05:07 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

OOPS...

Guess it's bedtime...I'll try tomorrow for a macro.

Smaller pics Bob...
Old 10-08-2002, 08:23 PM

I posted that one big picture because I do not have macro capabilities, but it was better deleted.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:29 PM

Quote:
is this going to be a while?
The trouble is one question leads to another, and some conclusions lead to others. I can't figure out how to ask without the post getting too long. But here is the first of a number of questions.

Is there any relation between degrees Kelvin, and actual illumination (Lux)?

I ask this because I am confused. Light at noon over the tropical oceans is about 150,000 lux, and 5500K (John Tullock). As you go deeper into the ocean the shorter wavelenghts get filtered out eventually leaving blue, but the Kelvin goes up. The question is this blue light of lesser intensity or not (lux again). When we get this straightened ot I will tell you where this is leading. :?

Old 10-08-2002, 10:03 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
Quote:
is this going to be a while?
The trouble is one question leads to another, and some conclusions lead to others. I can't figure out how to ask without the post getting too long. But here is the first of a number of questions.

Is there any relation between degrees Kelvin, and actual illumination (Lux)?

I ask this because I am confused. Light at noon over the tropical oceans is about 150,000 lux, and 5500K (John Tullock). As you go deeper into the ocean the shorter wavelenghts get filtered out eventually leaving blue, but the Kelvin goes up. The question is this blue light of lesser intensity or not (lux again). When we get this straightened ot I will tell you where this is leading. :?
tell me about it Bob

anyways to kinda answer your question about kelven and lux, the temp of a bulb is made up of dfferent amount of various colors, the highest in Lux (or intensity being green) so the more green a bulb has in its make up the more intensity the bulbs has.. whare as the more "blue" or "red" the less intensity. that is why the Iwasaki is so high as it has a large portion of the green spectrum.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.