Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

What I don't understand is why people are so stupid as to go buying bottled water at all when they have repeatedly been told there is no problem with the city water supply except for potential for slightly reduced capacity due to the heavy sediment that needs to be removed. Pay attention people and stop panicking over non-issues.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Seriously :O $45 for 24 bottles? :O Didn't expect that from homedepot
Isn't profiteering illegal in Canada? I am completely shocked by the events and how they unrolled. However being in Emergency Services myself I am extremely proud of not only The Emergency Services (paramedics, military, police and the FF's) I am just as proud of all the volunteers and people sand bagging and providing assistance in any way they can.

I know the worst is over, and I just got back last night but If anyone needs a hand with anything in Edmonton/Surrounding area please give me a message.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

The images being shown in the destruction across Calgary, High River, Canmore, Banff and the reserve, turner valley, are just .... Well I have no words. So, so sad!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

Hey!We're Albertans,no worries about getting things done.That's what we do.Stampede is coming soon and visitors will be amazed at the work that was done to make Calgary the great place that it is.In a city of 1.2 million people no doors were locked or backs turned when anybody who needed help.downstream people may need help so please contribute,words of encouragement cost nothing and go a long way.Proud to be a Calgarian WOO!HOO!Andy
Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
This is because Home Depot buys the bottles as individual bottles and pays $X.XX per bottle they do not get a flat rate just like gas stations and corner stores.

So when you buy the "Flat" its actually 2$ a bottle x 24 bottles which works out to $48 plus deposit/tax. They are not trying to screw anyone over its just how they buy the water to start with.

Sorry to say that people are getting hit with this but thats how it is. You cant expect a deal on something the store itself is not getting a deal on, just because its packed in a plastic wrap doesn't mean its considered a flat of water.
No truth to this whatsoever. Home Depot has issued an apology on their website and facebook page about this and will refund anyone who brings their receipt back to the store. They said it was not directed by Home Depot and was just the brain child of the store manager, who has been dealt with.

The same 24 pack of water here is $4.95 plus $2.40 deposit just for reference.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
No truth to this whatsoever. Home Depot has issued an apology on their website and facebook page about this and will refund anyone who brings their receipt back to the store. They said it was not directed by Home Depot and was just the brain child of the store manager, who has been dealt with.

The same 24 pack of water here is $4.95 plus $2.40 deposit just for reference.
Well thats how it has been explained from gas stations, corner stores along with some grocery stores. Home Depot might be able to work out a deal with distribution due to the amount they bring in. So I beg to differ as I am sure this is how a lot of stores are forced to price. Flats and Singles are shipped to the store with difference UPC codes and I know this from being a receiver in a grocery store for many years.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM

[quote=Magma;827714]Home Depot might be able to work out a deal with distribution due to the amount they bring in.QUOTE]

Along with Walmart, Costco, every major food chain, etc. that sells flats of water from $5-$10 depending on brand. If you want to justify a 900% increase in the price of a flat of water by one Home Depot store over night to screw over your fellow Calgarians then that is up to you I guess. But even corporate Home Depot had to apologize for this. You really think that other stores pay more than this from their distributors? They could just go to any large store and buy from there if that was the case. You have obviously never been on the purchasing side of the business.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

[quote=intarsiabox;827728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Home Depot might be able to work out a deal with distribution due to the amount they bring in.QUOTE]

Along with Walmart, Costco, every major food chain, etc. that sells flats of water from $5-$10 depending on brand. If you want to justify a 900% increase in the price of a flat of water by one Home Depot store over night to screw over your fellow Calgarians then that is up to you I guess. But even corporate Home Depot had to apologize for this. You really think that other stores pay more than this from their distributors? They could just go to any large store and buy from there if that was the case. You have obviously never been on the purchasing side of the business.
I saw the news report about this; if you look at the guys receipt that he took a picture of and sent in, he went to a self checkout and individually scanned 24 bottles of water. Regular price at a gas station is what about $1.50-$2.00 for a bottle of water... Not Home Depots fault on this one; just someone looking for Drama
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 AM

[quote=Slick Fork;827743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post

I saw the news report about this; if you look at the guys receipt that he took a picture of and sent in, he went to a self checkout and individually scanned 24 bottles of water. Regular price at a gas station is what about $1.50-$2.00 for a bottle of water... Not Home Depots fault on this one; just someone looking for Drama
Sadly there will always be these types of people around but I don't know if that is the whole story. According to Home Depot there was an internal error on their part that effected a small number of customers but has been corrected, so not just one guy. Not sure why HD would state this on their face book page if it were not true. Regardless, it was not corporately intentional (that has been clear from the start) and has been rectified and I am sure they will be donating lots of supplies over the next several weeks.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road
Default No flooding at my place

I came out of not having power for a few days pretty well. My battery back up worked well for the first day but after that ran out of juice.
Was able to borrow a gen set from my son in law so I was able to keep some flow going in all tanks with livestock and also get my freezer & fridge running before food thawed or spoiled. Only lost a few corals that couldn't take the cold water temps because of no lights or heaters. (forgot to close the basement windows so it got pretty cool)

Brett thanks for going the extra mile! Much appreciated.

Greg