Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
Awesome pics as per usual! Do you shoot with all of your bulbs on or just blues? The colors of your acros are so intense its crazy. Reason I ask is the sandbed appears quite dark/dull in your photos or is this because you shoot underexposed?
Thanks Stones!!!! as per the last set of photos your correct in both points, all of them were taken with actinic bulbs only as well as shoot under exposed. Most of the time I just use the MH when doing a photo shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunee View Post
Absolutely gorgeous. The colours and different textures of the corals are beautiful!!
Thanks for the compliments Sunee!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Stunner stuff!

Greg
Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

This setup is absolutely one of my favorites on Canreef, happy to see that it looks to be in good health still. Also it's awesome to see the progressive shots, they give quite a good time line as to what one who takes great care of their Reef can hope to achieve.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Stunner stuff!
Thanks snappy!! one day I wish my system would look close to your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
This setup is absolutely one of my favorites on Canreef, happy to see that it looks to be in good health still. Also it's awesome to see the progressive shots, they give quite a good time line as to what one who takes great care of their Reef can hope to achieve.
Thanks spawn! the progressive shots also let me know that the corals are actually growing!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Wow those pics are stellar as usually.

Hey, I just read your specs again and noticed that you were running NP bio pellets with GFO. Are you still doing that? Reason I ask is because the manufacturer doesn't recommend that but I do it . I've found that the pellets alone only drop phosphates so low and not much lower , for me anyway. With just pellets phos sits around .1, with GFO it drops to pretty much zero.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Wow those pics are stellar as usually.

Hey, I just read your specs again and noticed that you were running NP bio pellets with GFO. Are you still doing that? Reason I ask is because the manufacturer doesn't recommend that but I do it . I've found that the pellets alone only drop phosphates so low and not much lower , for me anyway. With just pellets phos sits around .1, with GFO it drops to pretty much zero.
Thanks kien!!!! Yes am still using GAC/GFO in conjunction with the bio pellets. As per parameters I never actually had any problem with just running the bio pellets, but one thing that I notice is that when I don't run GAC/GFO my water clarity doesn't seem to be as clear, then again it could just be my perception.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post
Thanks kien!!!! Yes am still using GAC/GFO in conjunction with the bio pellets. As per parameters I never actually had any problem with just running the bio pellets, but one thing that I notice is that when I don't run GAC/GFO my water clarity doesn't seem to be as clear, then again it could just be my perception.
Cool, glad to see I'm not the only one living on the edge!

Ya, I notice the same thing with GAC. It really helps to clarify the water. Sorta makes sense as it is meant to take out certain chemicals from the water column that could otherwise yellow the tank water. You really notice it when you replace the GAC with a brand new batch. The next day the tank is crystal clear

Another question, I noticed that you dosed two part for Alk and Calc but there is no mention of magnesium? Do you dose it?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Cool, glad to see I'm not the only one living on the edge!

Ya, I notice the same thing with GAC. It really helps to clarify the water. Sorta makes sense as it is meant to take out certain chemicals from the water column that could otherwise yellow the tank water. You really notice it when you replace the GAC with a brand new batch. The next day the tank is crystal clear

Another question, I noticed that you dosed two part for Alk and Calc but there is no mention of magnesium? Do you dose it?
I do not dose magnesium on a daily basis. I do however monitor my magnesium on a monthly basis and when it does drop thats when I add epson salt.

I do have a question for you regarding the photos that you take, how do you take those amazing top down shots? do you use a viewing box or just turn your flow off in the system and just shoot above the water?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 AM

I shoot with a top down viewing box and turn off the powerheads. You can easily make one out of acylic or buy them at LFS. I bought mine cuz I was too lazy to make one.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
I shoot with a top down viewing box and turn off the powerheads. You can easily make one out of acylic or buy them at LFS. I bought mine cuz I was too lazy to make one.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to get a hold of one. I did try to use some sort some sort of a viewing box but unfortunately I don't have sufficient room between the top of the water and the bottom of the light fixture, as I have a canopy, the camera just wont auto focus nor manually focus. Do you remove/move your light when your doing your top down shots or do you just navigate around them?

Tags
aquarium, coral, peninsula, rimless, sps