Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

To me T5 only tanks look great in pictures but washed out in person. While the camera loves the uniform light distribution my eyes prefer the shadows and contrast created by other options. T5 and LED combinations offer a solution that makes sense in some ways but contradict most of the advantages I've come to appreciate with LEDs. Mixing T5s with LEDs introduces these problems to a fixture which was originally sold based on the fact they didn't have such problems. Then there's the control aspect that T5s just don't compare to. Yes you can dim T5s but it doesn't make it a good idea, dimming florescent bulbs is not the same as dimming LEDs and it never will be, if you've done this before you know.

I'd say for a budget on off style fixture a T5/LED is a decent option for those who prefer a more uniform light coverage with some added shimmer. Something more related to a direct replacement for a MH/T5 fixture with lower heat and electricity requirements. However for a higher end fixture it's not something I would recommend, a mitra looks pretty close to a 250W+T5 combo without any of the drawbacks, IMO it's looks even better.

That said this hobby is, for the most part, expensive and time consuming so do whatever you can justify and keeps you motivated. But for the love of god just do it already . If you hate LEDs then run Halides, T5s or whatever, don't cry about spending thousands on LEDs because you had to. Electricity isn't that expensive, even with chillers and typically HRV units cost less than $1000 and are easy to install in most applications. LEDs won't always solve your heat, power consumption or humidity problems, usually they just reduce it. Payback periods are long if you can even make it without changing something. So run LEDs if you like them and something else if you don't, justify your decision solely on your personal preference.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
That said this hobby is, for the most part, expensive and time consuming so do whatever you can justify and keeps you motivated. But for the love of god just do it already . If you hate LEDs then run Halides, T5s or whatever, don't cry about spending thousands on LEDs because you had to. Electricity isn't that expensive, even with chillers and typically HRV units cost less than $1000 and are easy to install in most applications. LEDs won't always solve your heat, power consumption or humidity problems, usually they just reduce it. Payback periods are long if you can even make it without changing something. So run LEDs if you like them and something else if you don't, justify your decision solely on your personal preference.
That pretty much covers it
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

And, that's a wrap. Thanks for coming out everyone. Hope everyone had a good time! Mod please close.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That pretty much covers it
+1

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

No no, now just hold on a minute. One more thing. If you're currently using Halides or T5s (or considering ditching LEDs), consider this.... in a few years you'll more than likely have a hard time finding replacement bulbs/tubes & if you do, they'll be very costly, especially the ones specific to our hobby. There's going to be a period of time where halides & T5s are going to be dirt cheap because all the distributors will want to purge their stock. In time, LEDs will take over. You read it here first.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
No no, now just hold on a minute. One more thing. If you're currently using Halides or T5s (or considering ditching LEDs), consider this.... in a few years you'll more than likely have a hard time finding replacement bulbs/tubes & if you do, they'll be very costly, especially the ones specific to our hobby. There's going to be a period of time where halides & T5s are going to be dirt cheap because all the distributors will want to purge their stock. In time, LEDs will take over. You read it here first.
So after I sell my LEDs, I buy enough bulbs for the next 5 years. But honestly, T5 is hugely popular and I can't see them vanishing in the next 20 years. But I only need 5
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
To me T5 only tanks look great in pictures but washed out in person. While the camera loves the uniform light distribution my eyes prefer the shadows and contrast created by other options. T5 and LED combinations offer a solution that makes sense in some ways but contradict most of the advantages I've come to appreciate with LEDs. Mixing T5s with LEDs introduces these problems to a fixture which was originally sold based on the fact they didn't have such problems. Then there's the control aspect that T5s just don't compare to. Yes you can dim T5s but it doesn't make it a good idea, dimming florescent bulbs is not the same as dimming LEDs and it never will be, if you've done this before you know.

I'd say for a budget on off style fixture a T5/LED is a decent option for those who prefer a more uniform light coverage with some added shimmer. Something more related to a direct replacement for a MH/T5 fixture with lower heat and electricity requirements. However for a higher end fixture it's not something I would recommend, a mitra looks pretty close to a 250W+T5 combo without any of the drawbacks, IMO it's looks even better.

Well said. What motivates me most is getting the result that I want from a light . While I'm still a newbie to reefing, so far I like the results I'm getting from led's. I have not tried mh or t5. Yet.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 AM

wayner is on a distinguished road

mike31154;849315 in a few years you'll more than likely have a hard time finding replacement bulbs/tubes & if you do, they'll be very costly, especially the ones specific to our hobby. There's going to be a period of time where halides & T5s are going to be dirt cheap because all the distributors will want to purge their stock. In time, LEDs will take over. You read it here first.[/quote]

Well, when that time comes, I'll probably pick up a Mitras for 200 bucks
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 AM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

[quote=mike31154;849315].... in a few years you'll more than likely have a hard time finding replacement bulbs/tubes & if you do, they'll be very costly, especially the ones specific to our hobby. /QUOTE]

You mean like $110/bulb?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Huh. Apparently someone forgot to tell this guy

Tags
aqua digital, pukani