Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

3lbs gave 6 cups? Ok something is not adding up here. I'm going to weigh a cup of the stuff I use now... Will post back later...
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

No, I guess you're right. I measured out a cup and it came to about 250grams. So that's the same weight as yours.

However, keep in mind that I'm not changing out the full recommended volume of gfo per week. The RC calculator for example says for my tank volume I should be using about 2.5 cups and changing it out every 4 weeks. Instead I use a smaller volume and change it out every week or two. So it kind of works out the same (not quite, but close-ish). The equivalent in your case assuming a 75g tank volume would be something like 3 tablespoons per week, or 50 grams, I think. I probably have my math all wrong on this but something like that anyhow..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I probably have my math all wrong on this but something like that anyhow..
No, your math is good on my amount needed, but maybe 3.5Tbsp/week
You have me pondering running a half dose bi-weekly. It'll be interesting to see how 110ml tumbles. I suspect it would clump less

Did Kien attempt a FTS ?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:56 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

2014 annual bump.

So what's happening?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tony
where are you
Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 AM

The tank is still running.. It's been a bit of a tough few months with it lately, mostly on account that PO4 will run rampant and the only way to keep it under control is GFO which gets expensive. The fish are all doing well, getting bigger and bigger. I can understand why one would want a bigger tank than this even, it's just too bad it's getting to be such a cost prohibitive hobby in so many respects. In some ways I'd love to go bigger, but it's not ever going to happen.

So for this tank been running a few years now, I have a few changes planned for the next few months.

Most notably, I want to get a skimmer neck cleaner online and maybe get back into using a calcium reactor because I'm not overly enamored with 2 part dosing. Have the parts for a skimmer neck cleaner all put together, just haven't done the actual assembly yet.

Also switched to LEDs about a year back and to be honest I miss the Radiums. But they were getting too hard to buy so I figured what the heck.

Also wondering if dosing kalk might help with the PO4 issues.

Would kind of like to invest in some new rock and rework parts of the reefscape.

Also bought some wet floor sensors to let the Apex alert me if there is water spillage.

No shortage of things to do; just been battling a nasty head cold the last month and it's been wiping me of all energy. Summer before that and that's never good for my tanks for some strange reason. Anyhow hopefully soon I can get the ball rolling and maybe post some better updates.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:09 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

where did you get this wet floor detector?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM

I went with these: http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/...product/80-519

I picked these based on that they can be either "normally open" *or* "normally closed". Some seem to be either one or the other.

I figured if I use some that are normally closed, then I can run a number of them in series - have a few spots on the floor that are the usual spots water might accumulate if spilled, but only use up one monitoring circuit on the Apex. Just a sort of "there's water on the floor somewhere in the tank room" general alarm is good enough, I don't need granularity to the point of "spillage on the left" or "spillage on the right" 'cuz it's more that I want to be notified if I need to hurry home for some reason rather than "you're a klutz and spilled water during a water change" because I might kinda already know that already without my Apex needing to tell me.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:50 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Our sponsors who stock Apex also have both under carpet and solid leak sensors.