Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
in the long run you will not be able to produce the pods required in this size of tank for one mandrin little lone 2. but they are eating blood worms so you need to train them to eat a more ballanced food for them as blood worms are good for a suplament but not a staple. a high quality small pellet or something like that would be an ideal food to get them eating, but don't buy a bunch see if you can borrow a few table spoons from some one till you know you are sucessfull in getting them to eat it.

If I saw this sooner I would have urged you to go with a min of a 90 gal for a pair of mandrins but to late now. one way to help with the production of pods is to fill your refuge about 1/2 to 3/4 full of rubble rock. I did this in my 94 gal but hid the piles of rubble under the rock work and in the sump. with over 240 lbs of Live rock and rubble I went from tones of pods to seeing them once and a while with in a month of adding the mandrins so they are a large consumer and mine did mate several times as the tank was 24" tall. in hind site a 30" tall tank would be better but 24" works for the most part.

Steve
I kept a pair for almost a year in a 12 gallon aquapod...
The tank had been established for YEARS prior to the pair being added and there was also the benefit of having the sump space in the back to pack with liverock rubble for 'pods to breed where there was no predation.

2 years later, that same pair is living in my 95 gallon.

It can be done in small systems, but they have to be perfect and dialld in for this specific species.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

This is not my first time keeping mandarins. Thank you for your concern, but I am sure you will see that I have taken steps to support them.

I plan to train for frozen food.

Also... There us nothing else in this tank. Large. HOB fuge and this tank has been running non stop for about 4 years. I revamped it this year. V

Anyone who experienced Nano reefing knows keeping mandarins in a small tank IS very, very possible.

Quote:
in the long run you will not be able to produce the pods required in this size of tank for one mandrin little lone 2. but they are eating blood worms so you need to train them to eat a more ballanced food for them as blood worms are good for a suplament but not a staple. a high quality small pellet or something like that would be an ideal food to get them eating, but don't buy a bunch see if you can borrow a few table spoons from some one till you know you are sucessfull in getting them to eat it.

If I saw this sooner I would have urged you to go with a min of a 90 gal for a pair of mandrins but to late now. one way to help with the production of pods is to fill your refuge about 1/2 to 3/4 full of rubble rock. I did this in my 94 gal but hid the piles of rubble under the rock work and in the sump. with over 240 lbs of Live rock and rubble I went from tones of pods to seeing them once and a while with in a month of adding the mandrins so they are a large consumer and mine did mate several times as the tank was 24" tall. in hind site a 30" tall tank would be better but 24" works for the most part.

Steve

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM

I do appreciate your comments !

Quote:

Steve

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
This is not my first time keeping mandarins. Thank you for your concern, but I am sure you will see that I have taken steps to support them.

I plan to train for frozen food.

Also... There us nothing else in this tank. Large. HOB fuge and this tank has been running non stop for about 4 years. I revamped it this year. V

Anyone who experienced Nano reefing knows keeping mandarins in a small tank IS very, very possible.
no problem, I wasn't saying it can't be done, just that it is harder and more work ensuring you get mandrins that are taking dead food and taking the time to switch them to a more ballanced food.

I myself have been trying to figure out what to put in my 30 gal when it is finnished and I was thinking of one mandrin but I am still on the fence as I go away frequently for a couple days at the time so I wouldn't be able to feed it several times a day.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 PM

I had one over two years in a fully mixed reef. This tank I am using now used to be my nano.

It did eventually take frozen and then my tank crashed. Sad.

I figure I did it with one and 4 other fish. Why not two in a dedicated tank with fuge.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I had a mandarin in my old 110 gallon. Whenever I fed NLS pellets it would become visibly excited and race around snatching anything up that made it to the bottom. I didnt try to train it, it just sort of happened after a couple of months. I think it might've grabbed one by accident one day and that was that
Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Im 6 months now with my mandarin in a 15 gal , Just added a sump last week . Dunno why everyone is so against it , there fish, i feed it just like the rest of my fish . I am going to try and get it to eat pellets though , if you have any sucess with that let me know .
Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
Dunno why everyone is so against it , there fish, i feed it just like the rest of my fish .

the biggest reason is they are very resistant to eating man made or dead food, it is rare to see one which does eat food other than live pods. Now we are starting to see more as they are starting to be captive bread.

12 years ago when I got my pair there were only rhumors of mandrins that would eat anything other than there natural food, now you can actualy see them eating other stuff in pet stores. but mandrins eating prepared food (weather it be blood worms or what ever) is still an exception not the rule. and as captive raised ones become more common more people will be able to enjoy them.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
I had one over two years in a fully mixed reef. This tank I am using now used to be my nano.

It did eventually take frozen and then my tank crashed. Sad.

I figure I did it with one and 4 other fish. Why not two in a dedicated tank with fuge.
I lost my female after 3 years but the male hung on for about 5 years in my 94, but mine were typical mandrins, would check out what I put in the tank then turn up there nose at it.

hey and why do you not have any pics up yet?

Steve

Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I've seen mandarins in local stores every now and then that are already eating frozen. I believe Ken had some ORA ones that ate frozen a little while back.