Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post

What's wrong with flipping things for money?
Absolutely nothing. I've done the same thing. But from a purist hobbyist standpoint, roaming the LFS for things to chop and make money goes against the grain. I wouldn't do it, but not saying you shouldn't. Just not what I would consider "hobby friendly". This is, of course, only my opinion.

I have a dual role. I have to manage a board with advertisers that are directly competing with their customers, and I'm a hobbyist with less interest in making "profit" from the hobby than I used to have.

Not saying it's bad, some of my good friends do it. I know some guys chopping up acans right now to sell single heads. Good for them, I guess. They just can't do it here (I'm watching, guys ).

Let's face it, nobody is going to get rich selling frags. The sheer cost of supporting things and the likelihood of failure is overwhelming. Ya, some people get away with it for a little while, but "profit" is an over-rated term
Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post

Incidentally I'm sitting near a tank with 6 BTA's, bought one BTA from Samw something like 8 or 10 years ago, if I sold 5 of them for the original purchase price I guess I earned 25 bucks per year. Woohoo!
Nice. You got a clone from the very first RBTA on Canreef as far as I know. Since I had a crash last year, my RBTA has shrunk and I was going to post a msg asking to see if someone had a clone of mine from over the years for sale as it has sentimental value. LOL. There should be hundreds of my clones out there now over the 10-12 years.

Ever come down to Vancouver?

Last edited by Samw; 05-31-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:01 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
You're hardly ripping someone off given that you've invested your time and effort into finding and housing the coral
Even if you don't own a tank and have a mobile chopping bin, you're not really ripping anyone off (unless you sell some tourist green milli for a grand). If you buy a $60 colony and make $50 on chopping it, not a lot of ripping off involved. I don't agree that anyone needs to pass on a good deal they got to someone they're selling to. Money is nice, make what you can. But be cognizant of the effect on the hobby, the market and potential future friendships. Find balance, be happy, make a couple bucks, grow some coral.

Last edited by Aquattro; 05-31-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Here Brad, you dropped this; p.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're hardly ripping someone off given that you've invested your time and effort into finding and housing the coral, which assumes some small amount of risk unto itself. Maybe the coral dies, spread parasites/disease to your system, doesn't sell, maybe you get hit in traffic on your way to or from the LFS, etc, etc. Time is not free

For the record, I've never done this, but I have friends that do and I see zero issue with it. But that's just IMO.

*(truth be told, I feel as though I SHOULD be doing this... I too have a mortgage to pay).
Totally agree ripping someone off - selling s frag for more then you paid for the colony
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Here Brad, you dropped this; p.
How embarrassing..
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Just a guy..

One of my first "profit" deals in the hobby.

Desperate woman calls and needs to move next day. Wants to sell me the full system she has. I have little money. She says whatever I have in my pocket. I have 187bucks. I buy system, 120g tank, large oak stand/canopy, sump, 200# live rock, fish, gear, etc. I made $1500 after selling the parts. Proud moment for me in the hobby.

My last "profit" deal.

Bought a local setup for $400. Tall 115g tank, meh stand, 80 pounds rock and a huge puffer fish. Takes me hours to tear it down and load the van. Drive to the LFS to give him my scraps. It's his Bday, his favorite fish is this puffer. I give him the fish. Had nowhere to store rock, gave it all away. Find out the tank at a locla school just broke and the kids are sad. I donate tank and stand. After I clean it. I'm into this for days now. Lots of gas.
After all is said and done, I'm out nearly $500 and a couple days worth of time. I own the heater still. Not sure it works.
Kids loved the tank. Another proud moment in the hobby.

Did I rip anyone off in either scenario? I don't think so. Everyone was happy, there was some money made, some money lost, some lives made better. Isn't that what it's all about?

I would like more money though...
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Hoarder View Post
Totally agree ripping someone off - selling s frag for more then you paid for the colony
Huh? Okay, let me paint a scenario for you:

You go to a store, they have a colony of "Freaking Ultra Cornbread Kickstarter Eagle Rage Superman" Palys. Owner of the store doesn't know/doesn't care what it is as long as he gets his $75.00.

You buy said coral, realizing that its market value is $150/pp.

Do you:

A. Sell the Palys for the $5/pp that it works out to, tanking not only the value of the coral, but immediately devaluing the collections of anyone who purchased these Palys at market value?

B. Sell for market value and pat yourself on the back for being at the right place at the right time.

C. Do the manly thing and leave it at the store to let someone more pious to sort out.

I mean.. Look at it this way, Lottery winners pay a couple bucks for their tickets...
Old 05-31-2014, 01:31 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huh? Okay, let me paint a scenario for you:

You go to a store, they have a colony of "Freaking Ultra Cornbread Kickstarter Eagle Rage Superman" Palys. Owner of the store doesn't know/doesn't care what it is as long as he gets his $75.00.

You buy said coral, realizing that its market value is $150/pp.

Do you:

A. Sell the Palys for the $5/pp that it works out to, tanking not only the value of the coral, but immediately devaluing the collections of anyone who purchased these Palys at market value?

B. Sell for market value and pat yourself on the back for being at the right place at the right time.

C. Do the manly thing and leave it at the store to let someone more pious to sort out.

I mean.. Look at it this way, Lottery winners pay a couple bucks for their tickets...

Option b would be my pic this is the exception to the rule its kind of a dick move to sell something sat 5 pp when others have to pay 150
Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 AM
Just a guy..

I'm taking option B as well.