Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 PM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Just a small update. I have most of the softies out of my tank, so I finally get to run the two RW-8s at full power. I am currently running them in H mode. They are both switching on and off and running at 100%. Little bit cloudy in the tank at the moment but most of it should settle out. Waiting to order some sps so I will have some pictures after that.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Another small update. I joined a group order from Incredible Aquarium and got some sps.

This terrible pick is of my brown jedi finally becoming blue.

And a few tank shots.

Right side of tank.

Left Side of tank.

Full tanks shots.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:58 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

It's filling up fast just like mine! Lol

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
It's filling up fast just like mine! Lol
Well thats as full as its going to get for a while, as frag/fish money is on hold for a bit. I do have a few empty spots left and if you wish to donate some frags I would gladly fill them in.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:05 AM

Just a quick update. My tank has taken a little bit of a beating with all the heat, new job/summer neglect. I have had a couple sps bleach out and getting more algae then I want. I have decided to change out my all in one bio pellets or at least mix them with regular ones as I can't get enough flow to keep them tumbling and I dont want to buy a new reactor. I am also going to augment them with the use of fozdown.

For some reason I have yet to discover my protein skimmer has stopped producing. I Have checked it and there are plenty of bubbles all the way up to the cup but they dont seem to spill over. I was thinking maybe the 2 fans I have pointed at it might be doing something to it but I dont know. Will have to give it a better look on the weekend. Set it to run a little wetter for now.

Fish all doing nicely. Most the sps are doing well besides the few casualties. I just upped the alk/cal on doser a little as well. Have to make a fish store run on the weekend and hopefully I can get everything back in order soon.

Hope everyone is enjoying our beautiful weather and not reading this.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Hope everyone is enjoying our beautiful weather and not reading this.
It's WC night, so I'm stuck in my sump room

Have you changed how you feed your tank lately? If your nutrients are ultra low your skimmer will basically quit. Also, if the venturi is plugging up on the air inlet side you won't get much foam and will in turn get a higher water level, or even an overflowing skimmer.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
It's WC night, so I'm stuck in my sump room

Have you changed how you feed your tank lately? If your nutrients are ultra low your skimmer will basically quit. Also, if the venturi is plugging up on the air inlet side you won't get much foam and will in turn get a higher water level, or even an overflowing skimmer.
First thing i checked was the venturi. Everything seems to be working, I will check it tomorrow again.

No changes in feeding.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 PM

Well I guess its time for an update. My tank suffered complete die off when we had the big power outage a while ago. I have been neglecting it since then, only topping up the water. Seems I now have an algae garden that blows beautifully side to side as the water pulses. Long hair algae is growing all over the glass and sand. A little bit of tiny bubble algae on some of the rocks. Not the most pleasing site in the world.

So now begins the quest to start again. Just picking up some salt today. Going to scrape everything off and sucks everything out then do a water change. Hopefully things look ok after that or I might end up changing the rock and maybe the sand not sure yet. Hopefully I can update this thread soon with something more appealing then the pictures above.

What does one do with used sand and rock? I live in a condo its not like I can put it in my yard.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:09 PM

Default Putting some life back in it...

Well I finally got around to giving the tank a good old cleaning. I made up some water.

Pulled out what dead frags would come out.

Scraped as much gunk off as I could then changed the water.

I just gave the tank another scrape and have another batch of water ready to go, so I will be doing a water change soon. Tanks looks 100 times better and I think I will be ready for another clean up crew next week.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Looks better than it did last week, that's for sure buddy!

Watch out for the obvious ammonia spike and perhaps a mini cycle.