Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

I have also decided i do not like the look of my t5s on my main tank, beside the mh on the frag tank, still undecided on leds, but no upgradess till long after this next chittlin pops out next week.

Last edited by blacknife; 11-05-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM

"Why is the dead fish on the floor daddy"

What fish buddy

"The dead one from in the rock on the floor"

Mmmmm dried blennie yum yum

Sigh
Old 12-24-2011, 03:55 AM

phosphates 0.00 by hanna.. .wtf thats a first...

must be all that dammed algaee that grew last week.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 PM

Default FTS

I figured I should put these here as well as the fts thread so i can find them easier later.

Might have to take a few close ups if the kids give me time after supper.

I have a sump sitting around ready to replace the one i cant stand, and glass cut silicone removed from the 40b in the garage, just have to reseal it to put it in place of the 20.

I still want to upgrade to a bigger tank but christmas has ruined that plan for a few months.

I hooked up a small fuge a few weeks ago and the light leaks out all night i think thats where all the bright green algee on the underside of the rocks on the main tank is comming from but i will probably just rearange everything when i have the new sump in so it can keep doing that for now.

Last edited by blacknife; 01-10-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 AM

Pulled my fuge offline yesterday as per zeo forum advice, halved the cheato and threw it into a 20g tank i am cycliing for a holding tank for whatever when i do the tank rearangement<swap out the sump and swap the 20 g for a 40b>, but I am also debating temporary downsizing. squishing everything into the 55, selling any lps that i am not digging getting rid of some of the fish clutter, and getting a bigger tank. My plans for the tank are so scattered its not funny heh.

I did notice one thing today though. Both my maricultiured acros that did have crabs still have crabs, but one frag/mini colony that has been in my tank 2 years and never had a crab now has a crab, that doesn't look like one ive seen yet, but is a typical acro crab looking guy.

colors are looking good, had lots of film algae yesterday after the cheato was pulled but today is about normal. I just figured by now that the cheato should be not growing but instead its been growing like crazy lately possibly competing with the zeo, only one way to find out. hopefully nothing crazy happens.

my skimmer which was doing a good job for a month or more is being finiky again.. which does not make me happy. might be the next big upgrade if i don't get a bigger tank.. and will need to be upgraded for a bigger tank anyways.

anyways, the little one is crying so this is enough of an update.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Nice stuff......great persistence and hard work. It's going to pay off for sure.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM

Potassium chloride came in the mail today, time to start swinging my potassium back into line. Only faith i have in the kz potassium test is....
fresh RC water... tests low end of the scale <250 or so)
tank water tests low end of the scale <250 or so>

tank water with one quarter teaspoon of KCL tests... off the chart

heh so I guess dose the tank a teaspoon or 2 a day until it stops looking potassium deficient.

on a booo hooo note.. my darth mauls decided to up and melt on friday... they came from that first haul of blue words new supplier, looked good and were multiplying till a couple weeks ago, then closed up while i was picking algae off the plug. stayed closed till last week when i moved them to a lower light area then they shrank off the face of the planet. oh well ill f ind more someday
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 AM

attempt 1 at resealing the 40b = fail. overflow leaks from the bottom, oh well rip it apart and start from scratch, perhaps i will even take the panes apart this time just for practice for the next project.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 PM

hair algae on the frag racks:
-1 to hydrogen peroxide nuking zoas

+1 to pulling the whole rack from the mandarin/frag tank to the display hoping the snails might help. Having the evil large blue hermit crawl up 6 inches of glass to get to it, immediately throw all frags not on plugs off, tossing them into the waiting sps below that now have burns on them heh. then watching him sit on the rack for a week straight decimating all the algae. I think he has a couple more days work to have it spic and span then i think he just earned himself a spot to go clean up the other tank.

who would have thought.. the evil bastard that i have wanted to get rid of so many times would be such a good little worker if given a chance heh. I don't even mind the frag tossing, 2 emeralds, 2 smaller hermits and numerous snails in the other tank wont keep a dent in it, but sneaky hermit takes the prize.

on a different note, things are looking good, nutrients are still low even with no fuge, corals are coloring up ever slightly more, possibly due to the getting the potassium built up a slowly.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Default cleaning glass for resealing tanks?

tonights project... clean the 40b a second time for resealing.

almost debating taking it right apart just for giggles instead of just the inside beads. so lots of the silicone <well not lots but more than one would like in a water containing device> just peeled right off. Inadequate prep of the old glass? I think i cleaned with vinegar but might not have, guess acetone is the thing to use to prep the glass to not have it fall apart?