Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Looks great Mindy and Hope your Christmas was excellent and your New Year will be Outstanding.
+1 looks good it will look nice once the zoa's take over happy holliday
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM

flipzed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

what are the ones called in the second picture with the orange fringe??? i want some of those lol
Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys! Happy Holidays to all of you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzed View Post
what are the ones called in the second picture with the orange fringe??? i want some of those lol
Those are Oxide Oranges.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road

I really like the new rockwork. I agree with the previous comments that it's going to look great when those zoa's grow.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM

ryanb69 is on a distinguished road

wow! great tank! your zoas look great! any chance of some fish pics in the near future?!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80050
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Ryan, I have been trying to take a pics of the clowns, but they are skittish.

------------------------------
Wow, this journal is due for an update! Almost a year!

No good news for this tank though...it REALLY suffered in the last year with almost zero growth of the Zoas. I lost a bunch of Zoas...most of the blue ones are gone. The Darth Mauls gone, the African Blues gone, Magicians gone. Sooo sad...

The tank was rampant with Grape Caulerpa and Halimeda for many months. The heater died about 6 weeks ago which caused the tank temp to drop a couple degrees overnight which was enough to spur the Caulerpa into going sexual. I did a big waterchange and ripped out all the Caulerpa, but the Blue Assessor died.

Since then I rearranged the rock, and sorted out the surviving Zoas and Palys. Still have some nice stuff left. I have a SWC 120 cone skimmer waiting to be installed, and a little sump for it too that has to be finished up. I am going to drill the tank for a tiny Herbie overflow, but I am chicken because I can't find any info regarding if this tank is tempered or not. I am going to drill the back pane, and I see no reason for the front or back to be tempered, but I'm still chicken. Since Zoas are tough I'm going to drain the tank most of the way, and drill it like that. I can't just drain the overflow section because it leaks a bit about 5" up from the bottom so it won't hold the tank water out. Maybe next weekend...?

I am considering trying out the AI Sol on this tank. That won't happen until after Christmas though. I am interested to check out LEDs firsthand. Not on my 90 gallon reef though!

Here it is now...looks like it did when I set it up. There is a juvie pair of Clarkii clowns in the tank, but they are hiding from the camera. Wusses. They aren't permanent residents.

EDIT: Ok, I got a pic of the Clarkii from the couch.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

To check if the glass you're wanting to drill is tempered, a pair of polarised sunglasses & a notebook computer (or any small LCD display screen such as a tablet, maybe even a cell phone screen) will usually do the trick. LCD screens on most of these devices are also polarised to help make them sunlight readable. Look through the glass at the LCD screen with the polarised sunglasses on and rotate the laptop. The laptop or other device you're using should have a white screen on it for this to work properly. Just open a blank page with Notepad or some other simple word processing program. As you rotate the LCD screen, if the glass is tempered you should either see a changing pattern or the screen on the other side get dimmer/brighter as you rotate it through at least 90 degrees. Hope this makes sense, if not a search will likely bring up something with a graphic example of what I'm talking about. Seen a few on other forums.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

sorry to hear about the troubles Mindy......I dont know what it is about magicians/mauls/lunars/etc/etc palys......my track record with them sucks......Ive tried them in the light, half in the light, completely shaded, in some flow, out of the flow......lost dang near every one Ive tried.....I have some magicians now that I thought had completely melted but have now grown back to three heads....they are somewhat shaded and in some pretty good flow.......

polarized glasses work without a LCD screen too....you just need to know what to look for and have the proper lighting.....if the glass is tempered it will look rippled or checkered, like when you look through the side windows of your car....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
To check if the glass you're wanting to drill is tempered, a pair of polarised sunglasses & a notebook computer (or any small LCD display screen such as a tablet, maybe even a cell phone screen) will usually do the trick. LCD screens on most of these devices are also polarised to help make them sunlight readable. Look through the glass at the LCD screen with the polarised sunglasses on and rotate the laptop. The laptop or other device you're using should have a white screen on it for this to work properly. Just open a blank page with Notepad or some other simple word processing program. As you rotate the LCD screen, if the glass is tempered you should either see a changing pattern or the screen on the other side get dimmer/brighter as you rotate it through at least 90 degrees. Hope this makes sense, if not a search will likely bring up something with a graphic example of what I'm talking about. Seen a few on other forums.
Someone works with a polarimeter for a living , I'm +1 with Doug on this one Magicians and similar morphs have horrible track records in captivity. Makes me wonder if it's something in excess melting them or something they are lacking, funny thing's these zoas be that's for sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 AM

The Magicians are up for debate, those are tough to keep ime. The African Blues and the Darth Mauls were doing very good and were in my tank for 1 year and almost 2 years respectively. They grew very, very slowly though. The Grape Caulerpa took over, and smothered the Zoas which I think is the main reason for their demise. I need to get that darn sump put together, but jeez I have a lot on my plate right now!

That's a pretty fancy trick with the sunglasses! Hubby's sunglasses are polarized, but mine are not, and he won't be home for another 10 days or so. I don't think the tank is tempered...

SPS fanatic.