Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
If the vendor has unethical business practices like the one I dealt with, they will just tell you what you want to hear before you place an order. I asked do you use a styrofoam box to ship. Then the stuff arrives in a wet cardboard box with styrofoam popcorn.Then when something goes wrong they already have your money and tell you to pound sand. THe lesson I have learned is use this fourm to your advantage and ask members advice or opinions on the vendor you plan to use before hand. Looking at the 200 pms I have received I'm sure I would have gotten the idea on this vendor. My fault. I will still continue to use other online vendors, but not without doing my home work first.
And to everyone that has pm'd me on this thread, thanks for sharing your tips and ideas with me I really appreciate it.
Thanks for the initial post I think a large amount of things that needed to be discussed between member and mod alike have been covered! Goes to show that even when this community is at each others throats were still here for each other.
Levi
Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Holy cow, this is already at 8 pages. Am I the only one around here that has to work on saturday?

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

I am at work too! This has been some good reading!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 AM

ImprezaSTi is on a distinguished road

I did not read through the whole 8 pages, skimmed through some posts, and read some posts.

As with other members, I do believe that canreef staff are not be blamed for this unfortunate event. Being a vendor is simply paying to advertise on this website, and that is all.

However IMO, since this is an open public forum, we should not need to use the "underground" PM system to find out the quality of any vendor. We should be able to read publically on the forum, what other people's experiences are of any local retailers and online vendors. Just my opinion.

Edit: can someone PM me which vendor(s) I should be avoiding?

Last edited by ImprezaSTi; 08-10-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

it's reasons like this that customer service is SO much more important nowadays than advertising. Spending time and money on satisfying customers ON THE FIRST TRY yields far better returns than just throwing money at advertising because people are more connected than ever and WILL tell their friends about poor experiences.

Yes, the vendor could have a chance to correct the problem but if another vendor doesn't have to put out fires all the time than people will go there instead.

The bottom line is customers are more savvy than ever and in any service industry your business HAS to recognize that and provide what people want or else there WILL be ramifications. Long term ramifications.

The statistic is that if someone has poor experience at a store they're 50% likely to never shop there again. However, if a trusted friend tells them of a bad experience at a store the chance is 80% that they won't go there in the first place. Word of mouth is extremely powerful because of the internet and vendors must make sure they provide the best customer service experience possible on the first try. Putting out customer service fires is pointless if you stop the fires from happening in the first place.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:34 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road
Talking

That's the rub......... this is not a public forum......... it's a private forum.

I remember way back a LFS (not an advertiser) threatened to sue the board because of people making unfavourable comments about their business.

All the mods ask is that we don't make vendor rating threads because they just are not constructive. If you really want to know about a vendor...... ask for pm's or pm some of your friends who you trust on the board for their opinions.

Eventhough this is a private forum, the mods give us plenty of freedom and it a pretty good place to exchange idea.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Last edited by Veng68; 08-10-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I agree with the concept that buyers need to take the responsibility to research a potential vendor fully on their own. PM is a good way to accomplish this.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable for a consumer to be frustrated given the policy that negative reviews are censored while positive ones are left - it clearly leaves a hugely skewed impression. Say for instance I move to Victoria from Seattle. I get on Google and search for something like "coral frag online vendors in Canada reviews" and some cached links to posts on Canreef come up. I read some positive reviews about numerous vendors and draw the conclusion that they're all great so I pick the one that has the prices I like only to discover that the particular vendor is atrocious and all negative reviews have been censored. I think this situation is very likely and if I was the victim I would certainly be miffed.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I agree with the concept that buyers need to take the responsibility to research a potential vendor fully on their own. PM is a good way to accomplish this.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable for a consumer to be frustrated given the policy that negative reviews are censored while positive ones are left - it clearly leaves a hugely skewed impression. Say for instance I move to Victoria from Seattle. I get on Google and search for something like "coral frag online vendors in Canada reviews" and some cached links to posts on Canreef come up. I read some positive reviews about numerous vendors and draw the conclusion that they're all great so I pick the one that has the prices I like only to discover that the particular vendor is atrocious and all negative reviews have been censored. I think this situation is very likely and if I was the victim I would certainly be miffed.
I don't know about everyone else but when I'm looking for a vendor and there are no reviews about them at all and others have rave reviews, to me thats the same as a bad review and therefore should be avoided

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM

blaster is on a distinguished road

This is getting boring
Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 AM

ImprezaSTi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veng68 View Post
That's the rub......... this is not a public forum......... it's a private forum.

I remember way back a LFS (not an advertiser) threatened to sue the board because of people making unfavourable comments about their business.

All the mods ask is that we don't make vendor rating threads because they just are not constructive. If you really want to know about a vendor...... ask for pm's or pm some of your friends who you trust on the board for their opinions.

Eventhough this is a private forum, the mods give us plenty of freedom and it a pretty good place to exchange idea.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]
There is nothing illegal about posting negative opinions on a forum. Even if any retailer or vendor seeks legal action against canreef, nothing will happen in the end. After all, we are in Canada and we do have the right of freedom of speech. I do understand that the owner of this board may not have the financial support or time to go to court, but IMO, it is the right thing to do.

Of course, what canreef decides to do, is their own choice. As other people have said, if you don't like this board go to another one or make your own.

Quote:
100% agree, I would be mad too if I were in that kind of situation.
Closed Thread