Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on this one Marko, I mean for better spread (sleaker look IMO) and price wise, AI takes the cake, and if the red and green are really that important long term, there are tons of led strip lights that could be retro fitted, though I dont know how necessary it really is. I understand they have different spectrums and diferent spectrums have diferent funtions on different corals lol. I'd personally get 2 AI before I got one Radion.

Sh*t I'm at the top of the page again.. sry...

Last edited by Nano; 01-13-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: oooops
Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
Yeah so if you're comparing price. You can get 2 ai for 1 radion.

And with 2 ai you'd get better spread and more power and "larger" light source with less shadow. So on a 120 gallon you'd run 4

You'd sacrifice the red and green tho
From what I have seen the red and the green on them seem to give the Radions such a nicer colour even tho they are such little wattage
Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomano View Post
I'm with you on this one Marko, I mean for better spread (sleaker look IMO) and price wise, AI takes the cake, and if the red and green are really that important long term, there are tons of led strip lights that could be retro fitted, though I dont know how necessary it really is. I understand they have different spectrums and diferent spectrums have diferent funtions on different corals lol. I'd personally get 2 AI before I got one Radion.

Personally I think the total complete opposite! The AI's are big thick and bulky with cables everywhere- no comparison in looks!

The AI's have better spread? hmm I must of bought a faulty par meter! lol
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 AM

not trying to arue with you cause I really dont have the knowledge to do so, I'm just going from what I have read and seen in person. lol if that makes sense. And after seeing the comparison between AI and halide and AI and Radion online here, to me, the AI looks a bit brighter, but I'm not stating that is is for the record
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM

also I remember seeing on here earlier about par meters not being 100% accurate for leds cause they measure the yellow light? I could be mistaken
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
not trying to arue with you cause I really dont have the knowledge to do so, I'm just going from what I have read and seen in person. lol if that makes sense. And after seeing the comparison between AI and halide and AI and Radion online here, to me, the AI looks a bit brighter, but I'm not stating that is is for the record

I am not a journeyman light guy either but you are right the AI had a bit better par but it spotlights and then you don't get the proper coverage compared to the Radion
Old 01-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
also I remember seeing on here earlier about par meters not being 100% accurate for leds cause they measure the yellow light? I could be mistaken
Yes you are right as they are not accurate with LEDS in comparison to MH, but I compared LED readings vs LED readings
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 AM

I think the spot lighting might be from how you suspend it though partially, it seems the SOL are usually mounted a bit higher then radions cause the have lenses, I'm not sure that radions do, so the light doesnt get the spotlight effect with the Radion
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you want to add red and green LEDs to an AI set up just go onto modularled's web site and they have the kits for under $40 and using all Cree bulbs instead of lesser makes. If you don't like it or it just proves to be an algae producer you're only out $40 not an extra $400. The only reason to spend a lot of money on lights is to grow coral otherwise any cheap fixture would do. You can see pictures and tank journals from hundreds of successful coral growers that have been using the AIs for years and I'm sure at one point in the future the Radion's will prove to grow coral equally well but I doubt one will grow coral better than the other. They are both nice products and you can't really go wrong with either one. And if you can find a Radion that doesn't have a power cord like the ugly cords on the AI as pointed out on an earlier post then even better, it must just kill batteries though!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM

My Ai you wont see the cords, cause the arm will have holes drilled hopefully large enough to fish the wires through. outta sight outta mind.

but +1 you hit the nail there