Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 AM

imisky is on a distinguished road

a double post if its alright as its two different events this one happened today

lately i have found my Ca,Mg, and Alk decreasing, even when i up the Co2 in my little acro-cal CR. I figured that the little guy isn't keeping up with the rate of the uptake of these elements, so i took the time to look into bigger calcium reactors. i looked at both DIY and pre-made and i really liked the design of the jetstream Nano calcium reactor so i decided to make one thats similar.

using 2.5" acrylic cylinder and a maxi-jet 1200 and a few trips to rona, home depot, and canadian tire this was the result. i havent tested it yet but hopefully it'll work. i'll keep you guys posted.

-An add on chamber is in the making process to increase the amount of media this reactor can handle as well as using up all the CO2 that passes through this one.
-Also thanks to Chin Lee with explaining the plumping parts! THANKS!

this one shows the recirc's bleed valve to de-gas the cylinder in the case that bubbles get stuck up there.

Last edited by imisky; 01-11-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 AM

So heres a little update for everyone

After reading a few threads regarding people who thought they didnt have red bug getting red bugs, i decided to go to my vet to purchase a few pills of interceptor to dose it into my tank just to be on the safe side. Im in my 2nd week of the treatment and with just 1 more to go, i can say i am seeing a difference in color. Im not sure if its due to the medication, or i had red bugs? never saw them in the tank. But what interested me was upon dosing roughly 10x the recommended dosage of interceptor into my 30G, the result was a little crazy, the colors reacted the same way as if i dosed zeospur2 but with the twist that it morphed some of my SPS's colors for the better. After the dosage the colors stayed and well all i can say is i am happy about the color shift, no one ever complains about more colorful corals.

So the only thing that is new to the tank is a colony of unknown SPS that i replaced my pink millie with as it was growing too fast and shading the corals around it. and it also helped to balance the colors around the tank as it is a tealish/green coral placed on the side with most of my blue corals. So heres some photos and enjoy guys.

new SPS ( ID?please if you know the species )

tri color

acro SP (turned from light blue to platium/blue *i believe its not bleached as its only the tips that are that color and growing fast)

tenius

pink porci turned rainbow

teal...(looks like a millie but doesnt grow uniform, can someone remind me the name? thanks! is it prostrapora? i know it starts with a P haha...) turned sunset

this one didnt change
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Great little tank build. I missed this one. Nice job and a good read. We will have very close to the same, except mines more of a cube shape. Look forward to following yours now.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM

buddyreefer is on a distinguished road

Shweeeeeeeeeet bro! luv your setup.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

I can't believe I missed this... gorgeous tank!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:05 AM

bigblack is on a distinguished road

what bulb are you using, like the color! i just installed the phoenix and don't like it very much
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

Great build and your corals are spectacular. I like the bare bottom.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack View Post
what bulb are you using, like the color! i just installed the phoenix and don't like it very much
all the pictures which has been taken to this point has been running ONLY on pheonix 14K on M80 HQI ballast. If you are running phoenix with electronic ballasts you'll find the bulb to be extremely blue, more close to the 20K range instead of 14K as phoenix bulbs are spec-ed to run on HQI ballasts.

As another update, i recently added in 2x 24w T5HO supplements onto the tank to help bring out the red and purple colors. I added one Gman Pure actinic, and one KZ fiji purple (i love this bulb!). Here are some pictures of it. Today i decided to spent the whole day building a new collection cup for my MCE600 i posted that in the DIY section if you are interested take a look, so far it looks promising.

T5HO supplement addon:

MCE600 cup (ill just repost the pictures here details are in the DIY thread)

Comparison of DIY and Original

foamhead after 5 minutes

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

oh man the deltec collection cut dyi is money. the one on my mc500 holds almost nothing lol

tanks looking awesome as well
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM

bigblack is on a distinguished road

You are a mad genius imiski, HOW in the world did you make those t5 tubes and what did you make em out of --- Just incredible, Are you a fabricator of some sorts??