Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
sorry about your CB....the other symptoms dont sound like ick....I suppose they could be a result of stress from the ick.....you can have my CB if you wanna come get em (little coral nipping bugger)
that's very sweet of you but I will have to decline .I lost the poor bugger during the night. I want to hold off for a few weeks from adding more fish.
the corals are fine and the other inverts beautiful.
the nasty symptoms I described happened in 48 hours tops. he matched the description of ich before then.
the chromis is fine last I recall but he was hiding due to the CB bashing himself on the filter and powerhead like a well dying fish. breaks my heart to see them go.

I only go to places where the tanks are clean (these ones are on their own system) with hand caught fish (no spearing no cyanide that makes me shudder)

that is a good idea to pre buy my fish. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
and I can just swap out my stock lighting for those?
Regarding the Stunner LED Strips, they're mainly used for supplemental lighting and colour.

If you want more than that, an easy solution are the Ecoxotic Panorama PRO LED fixtures. You could easily double-side tape them inside the hood. They are water-proof, but I've always preferred to keep all my lighting inside the safety of the BioCube splashguard.

Sorry to hear about your CB, I just lost my Flame Angel, Purple Tang, and a couple others in my QT. Had and issue with the Heater. It wasn't calibrated properly and cooked all the fish.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefie View Post
Regarding the Stunner LED Strips, they're mainly used for supplemental lighting and colour.

If you want more than that, an easy solution are the Ecoxotic Panorama PRO LED fixtures. You could easily double-side tape them inside the hood. They are water-proof, but I've always preferred to keep all my lighting inside the safety of the BioCube splashguard.

Sorry to hear about your CB, I just lost my Flame Angel, Purple Tang, and a couple others in my QT. Had and issue with the Heater. It wasn't calibrated properly and cooked all the fish.

Hey Ken thanks for the frag, I'm curios why does everyone run a heater in their tanks? I've been monitoring the temp at night and it doesn't drop below 77 which I'm quite OK with as my chiller chills it down to 77 during the day. I have two heaters, however I have had a incident where the heater got stuck in the on position and cooked all the fish in my freshwater tank a few years back and since then I've been running heater-less without any casualties
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM

I'd recommend QT-ing all fish before putting them into your DT, 2 weeks would be a minimum.

I'm QT-ing for 2 weeks with Paraguard, and then 2 weeks without.

A friend just told me about the 3-3-3 rule of thumb. The first hurdle is 3 Days to get a fish settled and eating, 3 Weeks to make sure they don't have any diseases, and if they make it past 3 Months, they will live for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
that's very sweet of you but I will have to decline .I lost the poor bugger during the night. I want to hold off for a few weeks from adding more fish.
the corals are fine and the other inverts beautiful.
the nasty symptoms I described happened in 48 hours tops. he matched the description of ich before then.
the chromis is fine last I recall but he was hiding due to the CB bashing himself on the filter and powerhead like a well dying fish. breaks my heart to see them go.

I only go to places where the tanks are clean (these ones are on their own system) with hand caught fish (no spearing no cyanide that makes me shudder)

that is a good idea to pre buy my fish. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Hey Ken thanks for the frag, I'm curios why does everyone run a heater in their tanks? I've been monitoring the temp at night and it doesn't drop below 77 which I'm quite OK with as my chiller chills it down to 77 during the day. I have two heaters, however I have had a incident where the heater got stuck in the on position and cooked all the fish in my freshwater tank a few years back and since then I've been running heater-less without any casualties
I don't use a heater in my tank, its stable at 26 degrees all day everyday but it does heat up a bit in the summer.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
I don't use a heater in my tank, its stable at 26 degrees all day everyday but it does heat up a bit in the summer.
It will be interesting in the summer with the MHI lights and Chiller running in the living-room which is close to the kitchen and my wife spends all her time in the kitchen I am expecting some angry wife comments coming my way this summer, however fish will be nice and cool behind the chiller

With that being said, I will get a AC unit as my wife is going through pregnancy this summer and the last thing i want her to endure is Vancouver summer heat
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
A Heater is used to keep Temp swings from happening and to keep a constant temperature. A temperature swing of more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit can stress out the more sensitive fish. I use both the Chiller AND Heater to keep things more stable, although my place gets really hot in the Summer from all the windows.

You're welcome for the frag, under lots of light, the base goes neon green with purple-ish polyps. It's a pretty hardy and fast growing coral, soon enough you'll be fragging it.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 AM

Aysha,

You can take a look at the thread below for the Panorama PRO's

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...896#post695896

Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 AM

I looked at those last night. I think that is exactly what I am looking for
I am sorry for the loss of your fishies. I cannot imagine it gets any easier with time.
Your rule of 3's I like it.

after looking at photos I must have mistaken the disease for ich due to a few white patches. sadly it looks like I was mistaken
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 AM

Steve had a sale over at RC he helped me get over the idea of no fish for 2 months by selling my a bunch of corals! my tank is empty but it is getting better looking!

I picked up a neat blue leather corals and what was supposed to be 2 mushroom heads but after I got it home it turned into about 8 and a few misc frags.
YAYYYYY!

He has been very helpful in finding out why my fish got sick. I know now where the ONLY place my fish will come from will be.