Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

how is it when im home for supper.. before getting called out everything is working good.. go do 4 hours of storm chasing, come home and the tank is making funny noise and water is all over the floor but no signs of a leak

currently tired as hell but watching for a leak before i let myself even think about relaxing enough to fall asleep
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

The power probably went out and when it came back on it overflowed your skimmer because the sump had filled up.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 AM

figured it out... was using a filter sock while I was making mess in the tank, don't usually run one. it was below the lip of the sump but not by much. left it in there for a few days and pouf got all clogged up and drained 15 gallons on the floor.

Had a micro bubble problem just after that, after much frustration. I was ready to rip my plumbing apart and re do it. Problem being there is no valve between the sump and the pump<whoops bad jon> realized the screen on the bulkhead was plugged causing the pump to have extra suction on the bulkhead and plumbing.. or possibly to cavitate. cleaned screen problem gone.

On the weekend I empty'ed the frag tank contents back into the display. frag tank is running with just the sun coral in it right now. regular feedings of the sun coral+ 250w 14k bulb was making lots of algae. now having a minor algae attack in the display. but i had another reason to do it i will soon be tying the 40b that i cant sell in instead of the 20g frag tank i have. took the 40b apart on sunday because i want to redo the overflow. cracked the mirrored background while pulling it off.. oh well. i did not realize it was 2 thin pieces of glass and was putting uneven presure on them. single overflow 40b will be turned into herby, and the whole tank will be resealed. Not sure if i want to turn it into a frag tank or fowlr/ lps tank.

since the day of the flood i have not had my skimmer dialled back in either it keeps overflowing the bubbles all over the place.. i keep turning it down a little every day thinking it looks good then get home from work to find bubbles everywhere again.

SPS are slowly growing but brown with heavy green tint when they should not be green. I think the sun coral has to go away. I have a second mp10 and zeo reactor on the way so I was kind of hoping to wait till after I get those started before I give up on the sun coral and give it away to someone that can save it.

with the regular feedings the last week or so the polyps all come out but they are much smaller than they used to be.

I got a small starfish to keep the wife happy a few weeks ago too.. she really wanted it even though I lectured the hell out of her and told her it should not go in but it makes her happy and my son likes it too. Was told its a red chocolate chip, and thats kind of what it looks like but i can not find pictures of one on the net that looks exactly the same.

Last edited by blacknife; 07-14-2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: spell checking the auto spell checker
Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Um........chocolate chips are not reef safe
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM

thats what the attached tank is for ... ... Gf Adds

whatever it is i have been watching it and it has not munched anything... yet
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM

I got my zeovit reactor but it does not fit through the space into my sump.. doh. I have really wanted to redo my sump for a while though so i guess its time to DIY something up, jump on one that fits if it pops up here or get one built.

if i could find a tank with a 36x16 footprint to start with diy would be nice and easy, and keep it mostly under the stand.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM

I pulled my pellets out the other night when trying to get the zeo reactor in.. they are all bunched up again anways and i am sick of them. i also shut down my carbon reactor and forgot to turn it back on.

now a few days later my bali slimer has polyps where i have not seen polyps in months.

heh.

might be the second mp10wes running with the first one instead of that beast of a prop mj1200 though.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Hahaha Labour day.. the day you make more work foryourself then you planned on.

did a waterchange this morning.. nothing out of the ordinary it all went good, just filled up my ato last night so it was nice and full.

mindlessly plugged my ato back in after i got the water change water all leveled out.

look down a few minutes later to see the skimmer overflowing.. try to fix skimmer and realize the sump is almost overflowing... wonder WTF

I mindlessly plugged my ato pump into the wall instead of the ato unit.

so after perfectly matching my salinity and temp and doing a nice change i now have huge salinity drop. besides the 10 gallons left in the barel i just used i am also out of salt.. hehe hehe i needed an excuse to go into edmonton today anyways.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

eeeeek! how many gallons of RO did you pump in?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 PM

hah leave the rock alone,

in the steady war against apistasia infiltraitors attempts were made to move full live rocks with sps frags and mini colonys to the 20g frag tank.

now the frag tank looks like a full on sps reef with fully loaded micro frag rack. the main tank looks empty with rock only going half up, and .. i dont know what to think of any of it.. why cant those dammed peppermints learn to stay in the main tank when i put them in there instead of going sump surfing.