Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 AM

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

They both mine existing evaporate and have large ponds on the north end for evaporation.

You can see the operation on google earth it is quite extensive. The amount of gold and other trace elements the reclaim is quite impressive.

My buddy says it's hot as hell and it's out in the sticks but I just thinks he's bitchin' cause he's an Egyptian living in Isreal

Ryan L
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Stuart Bertram D-D is on a distinguished road

Guys

The water to create the base salt comes directly from the ocean where we are sure that the balance of elements is correct for coral growth.

The raw salt is dried and then refined (cleaned) but not processed into individual elements to then re combine them as this would not make sense.

There are certain elements that partially precipitate out when dried and need to be re added and others that need to be boosted for the pro formulation.

It is obviously a little more complicated and scientific than this but you get the idea.

Stuart
Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Who in Calgary sells H2O? Some of my LPS were not looking so good and I found out my K was low so I started dosing, and now they are looking much better. Now I know why the K was low. Time to ditch the IO and get something better.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM

RCFA is on a distinguished road

Great info. just out of curiosity, does anyone know what processes are involved in 'cleaning' the evaporated base product before it is supplemented?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFA View Post
Great info. just out of curiosity, does anyone know what processes are involved in 'cleaning' the evaporated base product before it is supplemented?
+1
I am finding there is quite a bit of material left in the bottom of my mixing tank that does not dissolve, kinda looks like silica sand.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wondered about this too. I would think that they evaporate the seawater and collect the residual salt and add it to the wholesaler salt. Since trace elements are in the ppm to ppb range. I also imagine they add supplments to their salt to balance the composition. I have a hard time imagining that the use of evaporate sea salt can be uniform from batch to batch.

FYI...sort of related. I have seen in refineries that produce gasoline make blends for other companies. The refinery just adds the components that the buyer request in the gas. I would think by the same token many sellers of salt buy from the same wholesaler and the wholesalers just blends the trace components in as per the buyers request. It is possible that the salts inquestion share that same base stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM

RCFA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
I wondered about this too. I would think that they evaporate the seawater and collect the residual salt and add it to the wholesaler salt. Since trace elements are in the ppm to ppb range. I also imagine they add supplments to their salt to balance the composition. I have a hard time imagining that the use of evaporate sea salt can be uniform from batch to batch.

FYI...sort of related. I have seen in refineries that produce gasoline make blends for other companies. The refinery just adds the components that the buyer request in the gas. I would think by the same token many sellers of salt buy from the same wholesaler and the wholesalers just blends the trace components in as per the buyers request. It is possible that the salts inquestion share that same base stock.
Yes that is what i was thinking as well. I don't really know anything about the salt manufacturing process but this is exactly what done fo engine oil. Esso manufactures about 10-12 different brands of engine oil at their refinery in Edmonton and just adds different additives for each companys specifications. but the base stocks are all the same (i suspect alot of the oils are very similar).

I am not familiar with the area where this salt is being evaporated at all, but in general wouldn't the salt water be affected seasonlly based on the currents and plankton blooms etc. Just curious how the manufacturing process maintains a consistent product.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post

Ya this is what he said earlier.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

Hello Stuart,

I was wondering where in Israel your solar drying pans are located?

Thanks Ryan L
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Who in Calgary sells H2O? Some of my LPS were not looking so good and I found out my K was low so I started dosing, and now they are looking much better. Now I know why the K was low. Time to ditch the IO and get something better.
We sell H2Ocean salt and have been happy with customer feed back.
Kevin