Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Does it poke it's head out when you feed the tank?
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Nope.

The behaviour just doesn't seem to fit with what you and Chaloupa describe of yours. I got the impression that even though they may not always eat, you at least see them swimming around from time to time? Or at least poking the head out when food is added?

Have to say that this is about the third livestock item in a row that I've purchased that 1) was way too much money to spend and 2) I totally regret having done it because it's not working out.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

What's your opinion of maybe the issue is that this is the only fish in the tank? Would a (suitably large enough, of course) dither fish maybe be something to consider? ... Another eel? A mirror on one side maybe???
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM

Willito is on a distinguished road

Tony, I think your eel is going insane itself in there, maybe add a companion. If it was me, I would try a couple small black mollies next. Perhaps give it sometime to do or hunt.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I would expect poking the head out when they smell food, at least in my experience. I have a friend with one, think he did not see his for a month, now it is fine, has had it over 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Nope.

The behaviour just doesn't seem to fit with what you and Chaloupa describe of yours. I got the impression that even though they may not always eat, you at least see them swimming around from time to time? Or at least poking the head out when food is added?

Have to say that this is about the third livestock item in a row that I've purchased that 1) was way too much money to spend and 2) I totally regret having done it because it's not working out.
IMO, no correlation b/w being the only animal in the tank. A customer I sold one to has one in a nano (very cool) and his is just fine.

Maybe add another eel! I have 2 in my display, sometimes they are together in the tank which is very cool. Appparently the can pair up.

Quote:
What's your opinion of maybe the issue is that this is the only fish in the tank? Would a (suitably large enough, of course) dither fish maybe be something to consider? ... Another eel? A mirror on one side maybe???
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Buh, day 21 now. One development, the eel did poke his (her?) head out of the rock when I put some cyclops-eeze into the water.

The eel is rather twitchy. By that I mean he (she?) shakes her head an awful lot, sort of like how you might try to shake water out of your ear after swimming. It's not constant but it is every few minutes. Wish I had a basis of comparison with this thing to know what's a sort of normal behaviour and what isn't. This is something the eel did right from day 1, it's not a new thing.

I just wish it would eat something! Dang it! I know that people say wait a month, but geeeeeeez for something so pretty, it really is a disappointment to never see it, never mind never seeing it get comfortable enough to eat something.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yeesh!! No luck at all! Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? I will even add it to the water column in some tanks as it says on the label 1 drop per 10g, but I hesitate to add it to reef tanks.

The twitchy thing? Makes me wonder if he has parasites on his gills...

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Really? That's not good. Does one do FW dips for eels? .. Sigh, I better start readin' up...
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Really? That's not good. Does one do FW dips for eels? .. Sigh, I better start readin' up...
I'd look into PraziPro if anything. I'm not sure if eels have sensitivities that normal fish do not.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 AM

kipsix is on a distinguished road

Hey,

New to Canreef but I've had my Golden for about 2 months and the first 9 days were hell when it didn't eat, so I can only imagine 21.... I feel for you.

I vote for Silversides as well. I struggled to get it to eat, then one day cut the head off a silverside stuck it on the feeding stick - BAM gone. That's my vote.

As for behavior, mines in a 29BC with a watchman goby and fire shrimp. Mine does the twitchy thing every now and again - it just make me laugh. I can see mine poking his head out of the rockwork 9 times out of 10 ant any given point during the day. He gets really active at night and does 'laps' of the tank. Only pulled him from the back once. If i throw in food for the shrimp or Goby the Eel goes nuts, he comes out and looks around frantically for the food.

Good luck.