Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

I think I'll read this thread after a few drinks tonight as it may make more sense to me then...
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
but there are times where one ask "is bubble magus good" and there will be posts like "piece of crap (cause they are cheap) and you should get bubble king cause you get what you pay for".:

got a quote or link....may help your case no??
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
got a quote or link....may help your case no??
I don't wanna put any links over here cause that might relate to personal attack which I definitely don't want to. What I wanted was to get make a point that to have a successful reef, you don't necessarily have to have the high end equipment out there. That is something that many new reefers get afraid of: cost of high end equipment. In this hobby, its all about getting a nice reef tank to get going and hence "do you really get what you pay for?" in context of having a reef tank.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-14-2013, 07:55 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
I don't wanna put any links over here cause that might relate to personal attack which I definitely don't want to. What I wanted was to get make a point that to have a successful reef, you don't necessarily have to have the high end equipment out there. That is something that many new reefers get afraid of: cost of high end equipment. In this hobby, its all about getting a nice reef tank to get going and hence "do you really get what you pay for?" in context of having a reef tank.
spose lol
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
spose lol
You paid for radion pros...did you "get" what you paid for? In this hobby, we spend money for nicer tank, did you get that from those?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You paid for radion pros...did you "get" what you paid for? In this hobby, we spend money for nicer tank, did you get that from those?
I think that's the point though,

Radio Pro's may or may not give you a "nicer" tank than AI SOl's, but there are other reasons to buy things such as reliability, customisability, etc. that make it money well spent to some people. As such, it's in the eye of the beholder (spender). If you spend money upgrading from say a SOL to a Hydra just to have a "nicer" reef you may not get your moneys worth. If however, your goal is a broader light spectrum and more convenient programabillity than you'd probably feel your money was well spent.

I'm not terribly active on here anymore, but it seems to me that in most "help me buy equipment" type threads I've seen the OP either states their budget outright and people try to suggest things within that budget, or people try to suggest things within the whole spectrum. Those have certainly been my experience when I've wanted advice on a purchase. Have you considered that the "You get what you pay for" comments are from people who have tried cheaper stuff and had it fail at a really inopportune time, rather than people who are too heavily invested in their particular favourite brand?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I think that's the point though,

Radio Pro's may or may not give you a "nicer" tank than AI SOl's, but there are other reasons to buy things such as reliability, customisability, etc. that make it money well spent to some people. As such, it's in the eye of the beholder (spender). If you spend money upgrading from say a SOL to a Hydra just to have a "nicer" reef you may not get your moneys worth. If however, your goal is a broader light spectrum and more convenient programabillity than you'd probably feel your money was well spent.

I'm not terribly active on here anymore, but it seems to me that in most "help me buy equipment" type threads I've seen the OP either states their budget outright and people try to suggest things within that budget, or people try to suggest things within the whole spectrum. Those have certainly been my experience when I've wanted advice on a purchase. Have you considered that the "You get what you pay for" comments are from people who have tried cheaper stuff and had it fail at a really inopportune time, rather than people who are too heavily invested in their particular favourite brand?
Exactly that's what my point is. Different people will definitely have different opinion on whats "expensive". To me, a $20 lunch would be expensive (cause I can cook so much with that amount) but replacing 6x$22 T5s every year is not. Highly variable thing. But I go around forums (I have the habit of googling for everything I buy and go around other forums since canreef is actually very mild with nice reviews; hence I dont post in other forums), I find all sorts of "rants" making it look like less expensive things in the hobby are curses. I don't know about others but I feel terrible looking at those.

You don't see much in this forum regarding such rant since canreefers are nice. Although I have been in debate with some of the posters in this thread but they have been extremely nice to be in many cases; its just part of healthy debate I would say It got a bit tricky/mess/whichever word you use but...oh well...I know nothing is going to change between them and myself

And about the last bold line, I think its more from people who loves specific brands than those who have experimented. Because people who did cover the full spectrum from low end to high end (I myself did in some aspects) tends to have more practical opinion than just "buy the most expensive stuffs!".

Old 12-14-2013, 09:11 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
not sure why you would think i didnt as i think i did , got a price on them , paid it and the light worked just fine , in fact sold it as brand new and got some good moey back for it;PP

the sun works too ....

just for me this was a better choice for my tank at the time.

whats your argument exactly? that highend lights dont do as good a job as low end or that low end dont do a good as a job as highend?

still dont see anything in this thread but complaining about highend stuff lol
Old 12-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
not sure why you would think i didnt as i think i did , got a price on them , paid it and the light worked just fine , in fact sold it as brand new and got some good moey back for it;PP

the sun works too ....

just for me this was a better choice for my tank at the time.

whats your argument exactly? that highend lights dont do as good a job as low end or that low end dont do a good as a job as highend?

still dont see anything in this thread but complaining about highend stuff lol
So, it was a better choice for you at that time but not now. Hence it might not be a better choice for someone else for now a.k.a paying for high end fixture doesn't necessarily mean its bound to work for you. In context to your comment, here's my point:

"highend stuffs may do a good job and cheap stuffs may also do a good job; paying for higher priced equipment is no shortcut to a successful reef and doesn't necessarily mean you are paying for the best choice and successful reef is possible with low end fixtures".

Last edited by mrhasan; 12-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
So, it was a better choice for you at that time but not now. Hence it might not be a better choice for someone else for now a.k.a paying for high end fixture doesn't necessarily mean its bound to work for you. In context to your comment, here's my point:

"highend stuffs may do a good job and cheap stuffs may also do a good job; paying for higher priced equipment is no shortcut to a successful reef and doesn't necessarily mean you are paying for the best choice and successful reef is possible with low end fixtures".
my friend , i think you should read a little and maybe think about it before posting and heres why.....

you dont understand what im saying and prob what most others are saying, all you hear is " you paid how much". while i could have kept my radion pros im not sure how 2 radons can light up 11ft of tank?? ( 2 x 5 1/2 ft systems) and i dont think they are a good fit both in regards to sps colors im trying to aquire and to photography, can i ask what did you find with your led light in regards to both? maybe im missing something lol

my reason for leaving leds has nothing to do with " x " amount of dollars vs " xxx " amount of dollars or i wouldnt of bought the pros lol being high end or low end had nothing to do with it i think you got your facts completely mixed up and backwards.

again all i see is a " i hate high end stuffs " thread that has no direction at all lol

care to explain?