Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post

I think people need to be mature about how they rate each vendor and ensure your rating is valid and not just emotional.

Jason
Thanks Jason. That is exactly the reason vendor ratings got pulled. While most of the posts remained mature and intelligent, there was always someone willing to ruin it for everyone by spewing pure stupidity. In a perfect world this wouldn't happen, but unfortunately, here, like everywhere, a few ruin it for all.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

People who want to review businesses are free to create their own site for that. There are lots of places where you can post for free or create a website for free.

Examples:
http://groups.yahoo.com/
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/learn2...rks4_Free.html

Here are examples of people publishing their reviews.
http://askville.amazon.com/aquarium-...uestId=5341079
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...k_VAS_III.html
http://www.theaquarians.net/Articles...ore_review.htm

Last edited by Samw; 08-09-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I live in a small town that has very limited SW shopping, so I depend almost entirely on out-of-town supply. I have PM'ed other members for information about various vendors and in every instance the responses were timely and accurate. In fact, when I first read this thread I PM'ed the thread starter and was given the information within minutes. Most of the members of Canreef seem to me to be very willing to help out fellow reefers. I have on several occasions been PM'ed by the moderators as well and been given good advice.
If members would use this practice more often there would not nearly be as many unfortunate incidents; and vendors who do not provide a decent service would soon have to change their ways or face reduced sales.
Seems simple enough to me.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I think vendors should have their return policies clearly stated. As a consumer I would feel better and as a seller I think it would reduce complications for DOA issues.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
I think vendors should have their return policies clearly stated. As a consumer I would feel better and as a seller I think it would reduce complications for DOA issues.
While I agree with you Wayne.. I also think its not hard to ask the vendor before you place an order what his or her stance on certain issues that you are concerned about are.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

As a consumer we have to take responsibility for our own purchasing decisions....... "Caveat Emptor" ............. "Let the Buyer Beware"

Do your own research..... like others said........ post a thread asking for PM's on dealings with the vendor you want to buy from.

I know that I have PM'd other board members my own experiences and I have asked people I know on the board about there experiences with vendors I want to deal with (or other members with stuff to sell).

Some people ask for vendor rating threads........ the majority of the threads quickly degenerate into personal name calling and serve no constructive purpose......... which is why a majority of boards (not just reef related) do not allow vendor rating threads.

The mods have other things to worry about like spammers and keeping threads on topic, etc. It's a thankless job that can be time consuming. I think the mods on this board are doing an excellent job. Thanks to all the Staff!!!

Just my 0.02 on the matter.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]
Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 PM

nats is on a distinguished road
Smile

If the vendor has unethical business practices like the one I dealt with, they will just tell you what you want to hear before you place an order. I asked do you use a styrofoam box to ship. Then the stuff arrives in a wet cardboard box with styrofoam popcorn.Then when something goes wrong they already have your money and tell you to pound sand. THe lesson I have learned is use this fourm to your advantage and ask members advice or opinions on the vendor you plan to use before hand. Looking at the 200 pms I have received I'm sure I would have gotten the idea on this vendor. My fault. I will still continue to use other online vendors, but not without doing my home work first.
And to everyone that has pm'd me on this thread, thanks for sharing your tips and ideas with me I really appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veng68 View Post
which is why a majority of boards (not just reef related) do not allow vendor rating threads.

Exactly. Thanks for that Vic. Sometimes one would think the Canreef staff is a lone dictatorship and all the other boards let all this crap go on. Although there are some.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Underwater is on a distinguished road
Default Yes, but....

I agree with what Vic said. I know a couple of the mods and they really are trying to do the best possible job. With that, however, I do think there is a "responsibility" (if you will), we all have to help out others in our community.

I think (most of us) are mature enough to be able to give feedback on vendors without turning it into a mudslinging contest. Facts are facts-period...If there is a company that is taking advantage of our reefing community, why would we all want to ignore it? It's the elephant in the room and serves no one-including the company. I have been on the receiving end of a bad deals, and I have even had another who have felt like I gave them a bad deal. With both scenarios it was nice to be able to try to resolve the issue. Sometimes they can be resolved peacefully-and sometimes not. But, I wouldn't have known that there was even an issue had I not been told. And I would much rather try to remedy a situation-and maybe fail-than not to know about it at all and be known as the "cheater".

I know that the mods are in a difficult position-ethically and legally-but Canreef is a place we choose to turn to for information, advice, a place to vent, to help others, etc. We all have one thing in common, and that is our love for this hobby. I would think that is one of the main reasons Canreef was created...not so we could be preyed on by the unscrupulous with no warning. In all honesty, how many vendors would risk losing our community's business? One, two? Good riddance! It just allows a greater opportunity for the quality vendors to make more sales and allows us the opportunity to go into a transaction with our eyes open-not on blind faith.

I know this has been a touchy topic for quite a while, but I hope we can resolve this in a manner that serves all involved.

Take care.
~M
Old 08-09-2008, 08:21 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Wow, I go camping for one night and miss all the drama. *sigh*

While it's already been said a few times, I feel the need to reiterate my support for Canreef and its Moderators, who give freely of their time and energy to make this place run smoothly. I'm not sure how in the world any of them are responsible for a dead box of coral that arrived at someone's doorstep? That's the most obtuse line of "reasoning" I've heard all day (and I was just camping with four high-risk youth who define "obtuse" on an almost minute-to-minute basis).

I appreciate the message of the original poster: frustration, seeking advice/resolution, and warning others. That's fair; that's Canreef-ish. Although at times I've wished I could jump online and air my frustrations publically, I know it doesn't make Canreef a good place to be.

Let's continue to be grown up and pro-active. In the future, if I'm going to spend $300 online, I'll be sure to ask around first, as I'm sure will the original poster. As I'm sure will ever rational person who's followed this thread. I think that's the point....right?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Closed Thread