Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that Greg... I don't believe in qt but that's just me. So far I've been lucky with fishes.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Sorry to hear Greg, some times I think quarantine kills more fish then actual diseases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Sorry to hear that Greg... I don't believe in qt but that's just me. So far I've been lucky with fishes.
Thanks guys - I'm bummed. Floyd was a people fish

I'm going to be stubborn and keep using the QT, but no more meds
The API Erythromycin killed off all the bacteria I worked so hard to build up in the AC50
I think the final straw for Floyd was the cycle as, even though I was able to keep the NH3/4 in check, the NO2 got a bit high a couple times while I was at work and I'm convinced that was the cause of his demise

If I have to ever use meds again, I'll make sure I use nitrifying bacteria-safe stuff, such as Mindy's suggestion of Furan-2, but I hope that won't be necessary

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-21-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post

I feel so guilty about killing a fish that most likely would have been just fine had I put it right into my DT, but I'm so paranoid about infecting my other fishies ......
I know the feeling, it sucks. Same thing happened to me last year... now I only buy fish that look perfectly healthy and put them right into the display. In my experience, quarantining causes more mortalities than it prevents.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM
On Hiatus

Studying for 4th Class is going to consume all my free time, so all I'll have time for over the rest of this year is bi-weekly WCs instead of weekly, scrape the glass whenever I can, so much for sterilizing my RO and ATO (for now anyway) ... and feed the fish

We have 3 vehicles that need new coolant, 2 that need the snows removed, and 1 that needs 'other' repairs - that's 2 weekends right there, but I need 5-10 hours each weekend for studying so the next month or so is gonna suck for me

Tonight I received a Penn Plax battery backup air pump for the QT
After our last outage, while there were fish in it, I said that's it
I also received 4 new silicone ice cube trays for making my own fish food. Oh ya, I gotta go out and buy some food, and make some muck ...

OK, tank update, but no pics ... no time - get home, shower, make lunch, eat dinner, study, now it's 9:00pm - for the next 8-12 months

Asrai and Jr have settled in nicely, to the point where they come to me for dinner
Ziggy is being a big dink to everybody, so I'm keeping an eye on him and will decide what to do when I'm in a better mood ...
One of the Fire shrimp is MIA and presumed dead as we haven't seen it for a week
The Porcelains and Red star are doing great
The bubble moved after it split, but has stayed right beside the other, so, for now, all is good
The corals have bounced back from being bleached and I've begun slowly turning the lights back up
I've got HA on the returns from all the extra feedings, and some kind of green algae or cyano on the sand that needs to be siphoned out and washed (when I have time), and there's red algae on some of the LR and dark green stuff on the overflow box

Other than that, I'm planning on buying some parts this weekend to have a flashing red LED when my ATO is low
If you've followed along, you'll know I already have floats to turn off my ATO tank powerhead and heater, and ATO pumps, but this doesn't help when the tank is empty - it's happened more than once over the last 2 months
So, I'll fix that issue this weekend, and fix some cars, and do a WC, and try to get some extra sleep
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Holy crap you sound like a ridiculously busy guy! I'm sure it also does not help one bit that summer is just around the corner..
Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Short term pain for long term gain, congrats on the schoolling!! Take a deep breath, it will all come together for you!

We switched my snows out last weekend and plastidipped my summer wheels! Love it!

I like the idea of the flashing light on the ato, if you have time, post how you get that set up, I could use it as well.

I hardly ever see my fire shrimp, he hides behind the rocks, occassionally catch a glimpse of him when I feed the fish. Don't give up on him yet!

Sounds like the rest of the tank is doing ok, sans the algae...
Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 AM
On Hiatus

I thought this would be a simple reply about the relays and such, but it's grown into a great-big DIY write-up, so I'll post it later when I have more time

Right now I must do a WC on the DT
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Holy crap you sound like a ridiculously busy guy! I'm sure it also does not help one bit that summer is just around the corner..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Short term pain for long term gain, congrats on the schoolling!! Take a deep breath, it will all come together for you!

We switched my snows out last weekend and plastidipped my summer wheels! Love it!

I like the idea of the flashing light on the ato, if you have time, post how you get that set up, I could use it as well.

I hardly ever see my fire shrimp, he hides behind the rocks, occassionally catch a glimpse of him when I feed the fish. Don't give up on him yet!

Sounds like the rest of the tank is doing ok, sans the algae...
Sorry guys, it's not like me to ignore responses
Busy, busy, busy
Thanks for the empathy, and for following along

I just finally finished my WC. Stupid smartphone, stupid house phone, stupid e-mail, yada yada yada
Plus I received a shipment today from Reefwater. These guys should become a SPONSOR
Nice and fast shipping. Brain-dead customer ...
I have to place another order as I needed 2 and assumed set meant '2', but it appears in this case it's just one ...
They sell them in singles, but I obviously missed the part in the cart about needing 2

OK, the exciting WC
I siphoned off the top layer of sand, washed it, and replaced it
I've been doing this about every month, or 6 weeks. I haven't kept track, but will now
It seems to work well enough while I'm going through the re-balancing of my tank - no ill effects to be noted
Whatever it is, and I don't care right now, but it looks like diatoms and a lighter green than cyano
Buh-bye ugly green/brown top layer, hello nice clean sand

Oooo look, a pic
It's not the best, but for now, it's a pic

Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I demand more pictures......

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Looking good Greg!