Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-05-2009, 01:58 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
It has a problem though, it works, but kicks off the GFI when its plugged in to the GFI. I think its 20" long.
I'm a bad reefer tho, and don't use GFI..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Kevin says its destined to be fixed. Apparently it keeps kicking off the GFI because current is going through the ground. <-- this means nothing to me. He says he wants to try and fix it.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Kevin says its destined to be fixed. Apparently it keeps kicking off the GFI because current is going through the ground. <-- this means nothing to me. He says he wants to try and fix it.

That's cool.. They aren't too bad brand new, just thought I would see.

Tank is looking alot better..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks, its getting there.

I need to bug you about getting my camera dialed in right next time I see you. I just can't get the white balance right no matter what I do.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM

I think Kevin is going to toss or force me to sell the RKE. The RKE does not like him at all.

If you didn't know the head unit works using Capsense (?) buttons. For some reason Kevin cannot get within 1/2" of the unit or it just starts randomly freaking out by clicking options, scrolling through menus, etc. The point here is that Kevin cannot touch the unit without it having a serious meltdown, which sometimes requires a complete restart. Its not just Kevin either unfortunately, it seems like there is a small set of people who throw the unit off somehow.

I however can touch it mostly without difficulties. The only thing I can't get it to do is set the time right, and have it consistently keep time. It also takes up to an hour after a reset and reprogramming session for the proper date to show up.

While the RKE did have its problems, I never experienced the bulk of them. Our first head unit's buttons would randomly stop working, always starting with the Enter button and eventually spreading to all buttons. DA replaced the unit.

I acknowledge that our replacement is better, and that Digital Aquatics has made a fantastic effort with their customer service, and in offering up firmware upgrades. However, I am unsure if I had the option, that I would once again buy the product. I say this for 4 reasons; 1) Kevin can't use the unit, 2) Its not mac compatable, so I have to find a PC to update it with 3) there are no Canadian dealers (not the last tiem I checked) who carry the RKE, so I'm always looking at additional duty when I purchase to expand the system, 4) the time hasn't bee right on my unit for at least 3 months, making it untrustworthy.

I'd also recommend to DA that they find a better way to seal in the back of the head unit. Its a controller that is undoubtably around corrosive salt water, and I am concerned about its long term survivability. A second recommendation would be to adjust how the wire comes into the head unit. Is awkward and difficult for people with bigger fingers to manuver with additional tools.

The unit seems like a good bang for your buck, but like any new unit it obviously requires some time for the bugs to be worked out.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

could it be a cellphone or maybe something magnetized that kevin is carrying with him? or does he have any metal plates in his body?

just a guess, i have no clue if that would mess it up or not though
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

You know those touchpads on labtop computers? I use them all the time, but whenever I use them during a presentation, the cursor jumps all over the screen whenever I touch it. Maybe I'm nuts, but something about me changes when I'm presenting in front of people an the touchpad doesn't work. Sweaty fingertip, nervousness, electrical...I have no idea.

I do presentations all the time. Its not like I'm a nervous wreck or anything.

It is really dramatic. I simply put my finger in the centre of the touchpad and the cursor jumps erratically all over the entire screen. Later, it works fine.

Kevin may have the same effect on the RKE.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

I'm bugging him now asking if he has performance anxiety when he has to use the RKE. I now can't stop snickering either...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hey there Catherine I was thinking about something all the dead corals would that have a play in the troubles that you have been having.. or is that the first time that you have been putting the corals in there. I know that i have ready that using dead corals can give off phosphates..... i cant remember where it was..
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

I don't think so. The dead corals were from after the crashes. I'm not having any more problems.