Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

So, I need some advice. Should I continue to run my manifold off of the fuge/frag tank return pump like I originally designed. Or should I run it from the 1st stage sump via an extra Mag12 I have sitting around? I would have it recirculating back into the tank because the 1200 gph would be a little much for the manifold, considering only 3-4 outlets would be in use.

I figure if the manifold for the reactors (carbon, GFO, and calcium reactors) are fed directly off of the 1st sump, the water will be straight out of the display, and would be in the best position to be polished/filtered. What do you think?

I also like the location of the manifold on the right wall. it overhangs the tank, so if I did have any leaks, it would leak back into the sump. If I fed it with the bottom return pump, I would have to mount it on the back wall, and if it leaked, it would hit the floor below.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

I also got the frag tank and rack all set up, and the two fuge tanks all done (except for the acrylic overflow teeth....have to go to concept). The taller rear tank will have an 8" DSB and floating mangroves. It will cascade into the bottom fuge which will house the duplex sump idea (egg crate structure on the bottom to create a benthic zone, then live rock, and cheato on the top). It will then overflow into the live rock compartment of the return sump.

And the whole thing (minus the return sump)

Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have no opinion on the manifold, but that looks killer!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I have no opinion on the manifold, but that looks killer!
Haha daym! I was hoping for your expert opinion!

But thanks anyways!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I'd stick with the manifold where it is, purely because of the possibility for leaks and it leaking back into the sump is always better.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Setup looks fantastic!

I'd say keep the manifold where it is too for the same reason.

I guess there's no reason you couldn't just have the mag12 dialed down (backpressure / head pressure aka "closing the valves on the output" means the pump uses less electricity - weird when you think about it - it may lift the water higher, but the impeller turns slower as a result - and it's the speed of turning that influences how much energy is being consumed). But yeah a mag12 is a big pump that you'd only need a fraction of to run those reactors. Can you consider a smaller pump? Trade the mag12 maybe if you have no other use for it?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Yeah I definitely could trade it for a smaller version. Maybe a Mag 9.5 would be better. But I still don't mind having it recirculate back into the tank, shouldn't be an issue. I was just tossing around ideas for mounting the manifold when I came up with the idea. It's nice and clean where it is, and I can run all of the output pipes for the reactors easily. Everything will be super accessible this way. I think i'm going to leave it like this.

It will be nice to have more flow to the left closet as well without the manifold T'd off that pump. I will also have controllability with the DC pump speed to the frag tank.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

No opinions but that whole set up looks bad ass, glad I'm still tagging (creeping) along on this thread getting lots of ideas for my next build (There's always a next build right)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Haha daym! I was hoping for your expert opinion!

But thanks anyways!
Sorry to disappoint! I've never run a manifold. Heck I am barely a man.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
No opinions but that whole set up looks bad ass, glad I'm still tagging (creeping) along on this thread getting lots of ideas for my next build (There's always a next build right)
LOL. Yes the build is slow. Unfortunately I'm not a rich man. If I had all the money in the world this would have been done 3 years ago lol. I just have to buy one piece of equipment per month until I have everything. This month was all the T5 Lighting to suppliment the halides. Next will be calcium reactor. Then Controller. Then Livestock!