Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

It is a species of goatfish. They use their barbells to probe the sand and dig for food.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

just an update on my GoPro research.

1) I contacted BackScatter about whether the flip 3.1 that is made for the Hero3 would fit the new/smaller Hero3+ and they said that they are releasing a low cost adapter within 2 weeks.

2) I won some bucks at work for employee recognition that will more than cover the new Hero3+ and a 64G micro SD card.
...and boom goes the dynamite...
I just need to wait til the local Best Buy has it in stock (on their website now).

Can't wait to try out on my December Playa del Carmen trip. Hopefully the videos will be worthy of sharing.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I was diving with a DM in South Africa who had a GoPro3 black edition. He took some really good video but his major complaint was it would occasionally freeze. I wonder if they have sorted it out with the +.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Did you get the Hero 3+?
Just wondering how you liked it and if you were having any issues with it. I am considering picking one up before our Bonaire trip in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
just an update on my GoPro research.

1) I contacted BackScatter about whether the flip 3.1 that is made for the Hero3 would fit the new/smaller Hero3+ and they said that they are releasing a low cost adapter within 2 weeks.

2) I won some bucks at work for employee recognition that will more than cover the new Hero3+ and a 64G micro SD card.
...and boom goes the dynamite...
I just need to wait til the local Best Buy has it in stock (on their website now).

Can't wait to try out on my December Playa del Carmen trip. Hopefully the videos will be worthy of sharing.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM
BATfishMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Did you get the Hero 3+?
Just wondering how you liked it and if you were having any issues with it. I am considering picking one up before our Bonaire trip in December.
Not having any issues, liking the Hero3+

I've found that although it does pretty high resolution shooting (up to 4K resolution), the best setting I've found is still 1080 at 60 frames per second (fps). At the highest resolution, it will only do 12 fps so it's choppy. Then there's a bunch of options in between... 48 fps, 36 fps etc etc... but 1080 is still HD and very good at 60 fps. at 60 fps, you can do some neat slow motion in editing.

The GoPro free software for video editing on their website is pretty slow and cumbersome, but if you can be patient, it works. Haven't tried any other software yet, I'm sure they are out there.

I haven't used it much for still photos. My friend got one, and he's pretty displeased with still photos from it, but let's face it, you don't buy a GoPro for still photos. That's what an SLR is for.

I have not yet gone diving with it. My trip is in early Dec. Looking forward to diving with it then. I ordered the Flip 3.1 combo from BackScatter directly from their website. They now include an adapter to fit the smaller Hero3+ vs Hero3. Have not yet received it, but don't expect any issues. The dive shop in Calgary up on 16 Ave is getting dive filters, but not the BackScatter Flip version... they sell much cheaper versions the snap on the front... for about $40 bucks or so.

I have not had any battery issues. The 'as promised' better battery life on the Hero3+ seems to be good... I haven't found the need to change batteries excessively. I disable the WiFi, the LED, the sound (pressing buttons), the Auto low light fps adjustment... to get good battery life. I got a 32G micro SD card and at 1080 (60fps) that's 1.5 hrs of video footage. I recently also bought a 64G card just for my upcoming trip, and that's 3 hrs of video at 1080 60fps.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 PM
BATfishMAN

Quote:
I was diving with a DM in South Africa who had a GoPro3 black edition. He took some really good video but his major complaint was it would occasionally freeze. I wonder if they have sorted it out with the +.
I wonder what memory card he was using... for write speed. The GoPro Hero3+ recommends 'class 10" micro sd cards. I got a class 10 32G micro SD (SanDisc) from Best Buy for about $40, no issues... did not have to get the uber 'extreme' speed (and uber expensive) kind.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM

That definitely helps.
Doesn't the old Hero 3 also do 1080p at 60 fps? I went to Bestbuy yesterday and they had zero Heros in stock of any kind but I think Amazon still sells the old model. But the + supposedly resolves the battery issues.
Looking forward to seeing your videos when you get back.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
BATfishMAN

Quote:
That definitely helps.
Doesn't the old Hero 3 also do 1080p at 60 fps? I went to Bestbuy yesterday and they had zero Heros in stock of any kind but I think Amazon still sells the old model. But the + supposedly resolves the battery issues.
Looking forward to seeing your videos when you get back.
I didn't really bother to research the older Hero3... there's only about 80 bucks difference (new) when you're talking $370 vs $450... the magnitude of spend is about half a grand after taxes and accessories. 80 bucks on that scale is just like buying an extra accessory. Plenty of kijiji ads of people selling their used Hero3's though, I'm guessing they're upgrading to the +
Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
I'll be near Akumal (Grande Bahia resort) during the 1st week in Dec. Hope to find some decent snorkeling nearby. Will be trying out my new Olympus TG-2 camera underwater.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 PM
BATfishMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I'll be near Akumal (Grande Bahia resort) during the 1st week in Dec. Hope to find some decent snorkeling nearby. Will be trying out my new Olympus TG-2 camera underwater.
That's funny, I'll be in Playa del Carmen at one of the Paradisus the first week of Dec... there must be a sale to Canadians or something for that week...