Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
Looking really really nice!

I run lots of lights but only have all my halides on for 2 hours for a "high noon" effect. They are staggered the rest of the day. Saves on power and heat yet gives everything the blast it needs.

Are you rockin any SPS with that lighting schedule?

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

No, not much SPS, but some. With separate ballasts and a controller you can do what you want. With a 1000 watts on hand you can be the weatherman
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Need a quick word of advice.....

2 X MP40Wes, or 1 X MP60Wes for the 155 bowfront? That going to be enough or too much?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

2 is always better than 1 IMO. You get better effects when you have coordination of multiple pump heads.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
2 is always better than 1 IMO. You get better effects when you have coordination of multiple pump heads.

Haha man Tony... Every time I read your signature I laugh so hard! Because its so true...lol

But 2 MP40's should suffice for flow on a 6 foot bowfront tank? This tank will be SPS dominated so I want to make sure that I have enough flow.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

This is just my thinking and maybe someone else will see things differently but I think in this case that two MP40's will still probably serve you better than one MP60. The flow from one pump head, regardless of how strong (or wide or fast or whatever) that head may be, can only fan out in one direction and then come back along the edges. All it can do is speed up or slow down but the entire gyre will behave as one. Whereas with two, the flow patterns can interact and ebb and flow differently creating more dynamic patterns that will, for lack of a better way to put it, have more personality.

You can always add more pumps too down the road if you find that the water movement needs more velocity to it, giving you even more flexibility in patterns. Or upgrade to two MP60's.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

2 MP40s will work to begin with but for a stocked SPS tank as it matures it will not be enough. Seem similar sized tanks running 4 MP40s and still be short in some areas for SPS. I'm thinking you''ll need one at each end of the tank and two at the back more centralized.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Ok, so got 8 Bridgelux LED strips (6 X 3W Royal Blue 452nm-455nm LED's each strip). These will replace some T5's for my supplimental actinic lighting. Wired them up last night.... and holy crap these things are bright! Now, I need a suggestion on my mounting oiptions. Here is what I have to choose from:

Also thinking of getting the 60 degree optics as well. Any benefit for these optics? It says the natural spread of these LED's without optics is 120-140 degrees.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Layout 2 looks pretty good. The optics aren't required, 120 degree spread is probably what you'll get without which is probably perfect for supplemental. 60 degree is pretty tight so unless you line up your LEDs evenly over the tank and you have enough of them you'll notice more of a spotlight effect. 90 degree optics are ideal IMO but for supplemental, I wouldn't bother.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

I definitly agree with the optics. I will go without them and see what happens. They did also have the option for 80 degree optics as well. But when they are mounted i'll see how it looks. The last thing I want is a spotlight effect.