Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean. Religion and Politics sheesh LOL

so, about that 2012...
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 AM

bigmac is on a distinguished road

Here's my take (for what it's worth):

1) Those who want to spend the rest of their days (how much or little they have left) worrying and fretting about the unknown (which in my opinion creates stress and will shorten their lives anyways, go figure) can do so. However, stop trying to whip everyone who comes within earshot into a frenzy (this applies to religious zealots as well). Trying to impose ideas of what is right for others or casting/cleansing them out because they don't think like you has caused every war and inhumanity to man/woman to date.

2) I, for one, will try to enjoy every day that I wake up breathing and take pride in teaching my children to be honest, happy and well adjusted individuals that don't succumb to the ridiculousness of living in fear (which is the basis for most religions and doomsday fanatics). Think about it for a second; if in 2012 the world does happen to end is the feeling of "aha, I was right all along and everyone who doubted me can kiss my a**" going to be more satisfying than the feeling of not having to worry about things you have no control over and spending your days having fun? Hey Einstein, you'll only have a millisecond to gloat; then what?

3) I understand and fully expect my overly simplistic message to anger said doomsdayers/religious fanatics. This will only prove my point further.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Actually, GREAT points Bigmac...even if I am a quarterpounder with Cheese Person...
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

No species lasts forever. None of the species which were around a few million years ago are still around today. Whether it's global warming, an asteroid, a mega-volcano, a pathogen, nuclear war, another ice ago, or something else, we will be wiped out one day, and other species will evolve to exploit the new environmental conditions. Life would be stagnant if it didn't work that way.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Dont lose perspective here ... talking about something is not the same as fretting about something ( unless you start digging bunkers and stuff like that )

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Here's my take (for what it's worth):

1) Those who want to spend the rest of their days (how much or little they have left) worrying and fretting about the unknown (which in my opinion creates stress and will shorten their lives anyways, go figure) can do so. However, stop trying to whip everyone who comes within earshot into a frenzy (this applies to religious zealots as well). Trying to impose ideas of what is right for others or casting/cleansing them out because they don't think like you has caused every war and inhumanity to man/woman to date.

2) I, for one, will try to enjoy every day that I wake up breathing and take pride in teaching my children to be honest, happy and well adjusted individuals that don't succumb to the ridiculousness of living in fear (which is the basis for most religions and doomsday fanatics). Think about it for a second; if in 2012 the world does happen to end is the feeling of "aha, I was right all along and everyone who doubted me can kiss my a**" going to be more satisfying than the feeling of not having to worry about things you have no control over and spending your days having fun? Hey Einstein, you'll only have a millisecond to gloat; then what?

3) I understand and fully expect my overly simplistic message to anger said doomsdayers/religious fanatics. This will only prove my point further.
I stayed out of this thread for so long because I didn't want to offend anyone but you have just said EXACTLY what I was wanting to say. I find all this stuff quite interesting but what does it change--Nothing! Something that COULD happen one day and is out of my control doesn't effect or change my life one bit.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
No species lasts forever. None of the species which were around a few million years ago are still around today.

*shudder* Cyanobacteria. *shudder*

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
Because of that, I don't live in the "future", I don't worry about what might happen in 2012. I live for today, cheesy I know, but that's the truth. Ask anyone who knows me. I live hard, party hard (hahaha), love hard and am brutally honest. No regrets about anything.

And done. LOL
I hear you completely one this one...

I don't talk about it much (never comes up) but I will most likely not live a long normal life and have known that since I was a kid. I was diagnosed with cancer at 3 and have had it come and go all my life. Ha...I wasn't even suppose to make it this long originally. That has kind of forced me to live for each day. I honestly don't know any different. So for me I guess hearing the end of the world could be 2012, well...its just the same thing. Someone with my disease CAN'T live for the future. It may never come

Weird to talk about this cause there is only maybe one or two people on here that know this about me.

(Been wanting to use this one )

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 02-26-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
*shudder* Cyanobacteria. *shudder*
There's a book called "the Judas Strain". It's actually a very good book. Takes a chapter or two to get hooked, but I proceeded to read it in two days on the beach in Mexico last year. The catch...it talks about Cyano...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Wow Justin, that's incredible. I've got a hole in my heart. And currently it's getting bigger, so I've been going under a myriad of tests the last few weeks (that's why I've been on here for so long during a day, after a test I'm drained and can't physically do anything else)

I hope you stay well.