Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
I wonder if thats what happened to the urchins of the Caribean. They all died about 20 years ago, it happened so fast that they never had the chance to figure out why. The reefs are all dying as a result.
?????????
When scuba diving in the Carribean I see lots of urchins every time I go.

Greg
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
heck even native display tanks that have been separated from the ocean cannot be returned so basically you have taken a beautifully local species and sentenced it to death.
how's that any different than anyone else in the world?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:15 AM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

err, I don't think he has quite sentenced it to death Stir... I mean , I haven't been paying super close attention to the thread, but didn't he mention he was having success keeping these anemones long-term?

If so.... they haven't been sentenced to death.

And good point Invigor.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:45 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

They are suggesting that the annemonies will die prematurely(which is highly likely), which technically is sentencing it to death.

Chris
Old 07-09-2005, 02:32 AM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

OCDP, Gawd, change your avatar! That thing is frickin huge!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer
Yes, I agree that we are on the same page. I wasn't trying to argue with you re: coldwater tanks. It's just that I saw you refer to that a couple of times, in this thread, and I see this thread as a discussion on something different than that. I was merely trying to point my view on that out to you. As for including your input on species range, in the "Delphinus Wrote" part, the intent there was for continuity sake for the reader. The intent was not to argue your point. *Edit: Re: my input regarding species being already acclimatized to coldwater... I suppose the phrase "one could argue..." was the wrong phrase to use. What I meant was more along the lines of..."something else to think about..." Edit complete*. No offense was intended.
And none taken John. It's just that this thread is really quite about a lot of different things. The coldwater tanks, yeah, OK, a little out in left field maybe, but I mentioned it only in passing as a lead-in to the other points I was trying to make, which I thought were more important. 1) Collection process, permit vs. no permit, 2) research of a species environmental tolerances, 3) what to do with the animals if/when they start to decline. Amongst others too, of course. Anyhow, I guess the problem is if you quote me, I feel compelled to respond. If you're the same as me in that regard, maybe we can stretch this out a couple more pages and maybe even we can see how many more times we can get OCDP to say "chill" too.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Anyhow, I guess the problem is if you quote me, I feel compelled to respond. If you're the same as me in that regard, maybe we can stretch this out a couple more pages and maybe even we can see how many more times we can get OCDP to say "chill" too.

Page 5 is comin' up soon!
Oh, and no problem, IMO.

Cheers,
Old 07-09-2005, 04:03 PM

GobiGurl is on a distinguished road
Default Whew!

The testosterone certainly is swimming around in this post. I have an extra bag of ice for the winner!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:09 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
I wonder if thats what happened to the urchins of the Caribean. They all died about 20 years ago, it happened so fast that they never had the chance to figure out why. The reefs are all dying as a result.
?????????
When scuba diving in the Carribean I see lots of urchins every time I go.
Here is quote from Dr. Shimek's article on reef keeping this month talking about what Danny is referring to (not included is the picture):

Figure 4. This image, taken in 1981, gives an idea of the abundance of Diadema antillarum in the Caribbean prior to the disease that ravaged their populations in 1983. Diadema are ecologically extinct throughout the Caribbean today.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:07 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oh one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimSelf
Hey Steve since you own or work at Island Aquatics what do you think about all those dead fish in your tank? Why are you so negtive about my little ananos from the local water? Are you scard that you will losse sales in your store?

You should watch what you say. You don't want to get a bad image for Island Aquatics now do you?
first I don't have a store, and yes I own Island aquatics which will only deal in custom equipment and acrylic fabrication when it is officially opened. so as for you taking a local species and subjecting it to conditions that are not what it should have (mainly temperature related as I could care less about the size of tank and lighting issue in this case because we can provide the proper things in those areas easy enuf)

In effect you have taken a creature that could possibly live 50+ years left in the wild and reduced its lifespan dramatically, and I am not talking about it happening from lack of care and food ect.. but from a simple excessively high Temp that will raise its metabolism dramatically hence shortening its natural life span.

about 3 years ago I had the same idea as you but instead of running out and doing it I sent e-mails to people who would know if it is a feasible thing to do, Dr Ron Shimek's e-mail was the one that convinced me to not do it as he is the only one who's specialty is the cold water species of invertebrate off of Vancouver Island. his email said yes you can keep it in there but it will have a unusually shore life span as compared to the ones in nature. an increase in temp increases the metabolism shortening the life of the critter. further more when I asked if they could be adapted over generations the answer was "no, well not in our life span anyways"

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.