Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts on monthly FTSs and updates? I think expecting people to post on certain day every month is a little far fetched since some of us aren't always around. Also with summer coming this becomes even more difficult. Some ideas:
  • No actual picture requirements however people obviously realize this is a contest and to win they have to show something. Could also add a prize for best documentation/build thread.
  • Monthly FTS required but not date specific, just sometime every month or even with in the first two weeks.
  • FTS required whenever something is added or updated.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Just for clarification, is the 20 gal sump mentioned above
20 gal total volume or
20 gal water circulating through the sump
Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Any thoughts on monthly FTSs and updates? I think expecting people to post on certain day every month is a little far fetched since some of us aren't always around. Also with summer coming this becomes even more difficult. Some ideas:
  • No actual picture requirements however people obviously realize this is a contest and to win they have to show something. Could also add a prize for best documentation/build thread.
  • Monthly FTS required but not date specific, just sometime every month or even with in the first two weeks.
I won't be in this contest, but this is something I agree with. This caused a huge headache in the first contest, and should be considered.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to throw an idea out there. Why not assign a points value to things like budget. You can spend however much you want. Just assign a point value to types of corals. Ideally the goal would be to have the lesser point value in the coral category, which will net the most points (if that makes ANY sense). So it doesnt matter what you paid for the coral or how big it is. Everyone will be competing based on points and not the actual corals. You can assign point values to all categories. creativity, complexity, volume, anything. You just have the judges awards points for those aspects. Give a percentage of point towoards a public vote at the end and the person with the most points in the end wins.

EDIT: Explain what i mean further.

Have categories be out of 10
Complexity you could have a max of 10 point
Budget a max of say 30 points (in this category species of coral will have their own value like sps 5 softied 2 lps 3) Tally the point out and give a score out of 30 so the tank with the lowest and nicest score has a higher mark out of 30 versus a tank full to the brim with all the most expensive corals having the lower score. People will then compete for a modest but REALLY nice tank)
Creativity out of say 30

Make the total allowable score out of one hundred. I think this would b a fair way of doing it.

Last edited by rstar; 04-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with this too.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I agree with this too.
Any insight on which option might be best?

rstar, I like the point system idea however it's still similar to money. Assigning points to livestock will probably be just as complicated as assigning a dollar value. I could see a similar system being used for deciding on an ultimate winner. Essentially have one contest category but at the end have multiple polls setup for voting on different aspects of each tank. Then award points to each contender based on how they place in each aspect. Kind of like Super Mario Cart
Reading your post again it seems we actually might be on the same page here?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

rstar, I like the point system idea however it's still similar to money. Assigning points to livestock will probably be just as complicated as assigning a dollar value. I could see a similar system being used for deciding on an ultimate winner. Essentially have one contest category but at the end have multiple polls setup for voting on different aspects of each tank. Then award points to each contender based on how they place in each aspect. Kind of like Super Mario Cart
Reading your post again it seems we actually might be on the same page here?
Yes ecentially we are! However do think it could work for budget as well. As long as the points are very broad. Not down to each peice but each group of corals. SPS as a whole group would be worth say 5 point because its relatively easy to find really nice sps. softies could be worth 2 as its not quite as easy to find the really amazing softies. and lps would be inbetween. This would alow people to spend whatever they want but also keep themselves in check as to not rack up all their point. Itll keep people looking for the real gems to add to their tanks. I dont think it could work if you got species specific, it would have to stay broad.

Mario cart was just what i was thinking. I do think however most of the point would have to awarded via a set group of invited judges as if you leave most of the points awarding to the public you will NEVER get an unbiased vote. however you could hold a public vote and use a percentage as point. this would keep the contest fair and not just a "popularity" vote.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All three!

I would say one FTS a month, and it must be done within the first two weeks of the month. I would say make shots for additions as well. Then like you mentioned people who want to expand upon their build with additional photos can, and have that play into a best documentation/build thread award like you mentioned.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default I like the point system

I while ago there was a thread on having a 20 gal contest that never ended up really going anywhere. But the "point" idea I think is a good one.

This allows for the guy that wants to spend silly but acutally has a nice tank to be compared to the guy who does nice DIY work on the cheap. As well, it removes the need to be so "a&^ retentive" about the budget, and not argue about the details.
I'm interesed in joining in, as I would love to build a 20gal just for the heck of it. And the "get more point for being cheaper" allows for me to post up MY cost out of pocket using my extra equipment, frags and scraps kicking around from my 220, and a guess at what all the materials would actually be worth to by.
IE, more fun and less mindless bickering.

PS. finally something to use my old prism skimmer for. For some reason it just doesn't seem to cut it on my 220 gal
Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 PM

I'll bring up one more issue regarding the budget for discussion. When it comes to a hardware budget the problem is some of us are good at the whole DIY and can build a complete system for fairly cheap while others are not and some just don't want to. For instance if someone wanted to use a full nano package in a box, is that allowed? Or for a custom they may have to hire someone to build it which could also be quiet expensive. This could potentially be solved with 2 categories but again not sure on the amount of interest. Thoughts?