Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Yes the reef booster definitely knocks the skimmer for a crap. Not able to form a foam column and micro bubbles out the wazoo.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Default nov 22 update

Added my last set of dosages today and did a 15% WC.
Parameters this week are: CAL-430 ALK-7.5 MAG-1335 NIT-2.5 PHOS-.09
No great changes but still noticing gradual color changes in some of the corals. PE is still minimal. I really hate dosing the reef booster as it really plays havoc with the skimmer. Skimmer wont produce anything for 2 days other than a TON of micro bubbles.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

its funny that you have problems with the skimmer with the reef booster. I usually just shut my skimmer off for a couple hours after doing a dosing set, and it is usually good after that (Vertex IN-100)
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

This means the system is not taking it all up, in this case you can dose the nano size vials.

If booster is left in the system the corals have had enough of a feed, bit like us if we order that 20 oz T bone but knew an 8oz sirloin was enough

If you also leave the skmmer running while doing the booster dosing this can play havoc as you coat the insides with neat Omega 3.

Hope that helps
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Yes I usually leave my skimmer shut down for 12 hours or so after dosing the booster.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Final analysis
So its been an interesting couple of months working with this stuff and noticing changes in the corals. Firstly let me say there initally were 2 types of coral in my tank, the ones that were screwed and the ones that were relatively normal.
The screwed ones (all the Millis and Acro's with no pollyps) are still screwed however i believe that these corals were permanently and irreversibly damaged by what ever caused the condition in the first place. A lot of these corals have gone through color morphs and a serious case of zits (large water blisters in the underlying tissue) and some very odd growth patterns. Some even to the point as to be even slightly grotesque. I have been conversing with Bob Fenner on these issues and perhaps the only solution may be to simply remove the corals. They may never recover.
Now onto the good stuff. The corals that were normal to start with now look fabulous. Colours, Growth, PE all look great. My algae that grows on the sand bed and glass were eliminated to the point that i was cleaning the glass less than once per week. Although i never did reach ULNS status on the tank the additives did however get me quite close and i think it is probably very difficult to achieve anyhow when you are dealing with a relatively deep sand bed, old rock and high bio-load. Also in my conversations with Bob Fenner he was not really a proponent of ULNS systems anyhow stating that phosphate levels of 0 were not desireable where coral growth is concerned, but that reasonably low levels were more desirable as corals need the Phos. for growth.
The product was easy to dose however the dosing instructions were somewhat vague in the beginning. I am already starting to notice a change for the worse in the tank (algae coming back) now that I no longer am dosing.
I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is looking to improve their tank, however it is relatively expensive to run for a larger system, but may be cheaper than some of the other systems out there say like Zeo.
Finally i would like to thank Micheal from AquaDigital for the opportunity to do this review and the advise along the way.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Great review.
Thanks, Poontang.

Mitch
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Wow im surprised no one has said anything but i Just noticed this...

I think this little critter might be your polyp extension problem. I suspect the very slight increase in noticing polyps recently might be due to the accelerated growth or the improved health of your corals... and so they can 'catch up' with it... but Clown gobies EAT SPS polyps.

I am wondering if anyone else can chime in about this?

I have personally kept a clown goby and from purchase time to 2 weeks later, I had 6 SPS colonies without polyps, so I promptly removed him and polyps came back.

Just thought I would throw this in there. I have not read the full thread yet, just got to this piture and scanned through the rest to see if your polyps increased... but great review!

Thanks & Cheers,

Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 AM

I have never seen him eat any polyps and suspect that he is not the cause. The colony that he lives in is the healthyest colony that i have and it it growing quite well. Some of the colonies that are doing the worst are ones that he never seems to be interested in. I have recently added a acro frag to the tank and it seems to be doing fine and I am planning to try a Mlli frag soon to see what the results with it are. I am almost starting to wonder if whatever event has caused all of this is over however the affected corals were damaged beyond recovery. I actually miss using this product, my algae has increased quite noticibly.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Wow im surprised no one has said anything but i Just noticed this...

I think this little critter might be your polyp extension problem. I suspect the very slight increase in noticing polyps recently might be due to the accelerated growth or the improved health of your corals... and so they can 'catch up' with it... but Clown gobies EAT SPS polyps.

I am wondering if anyone else can chime in about this?

I have personally kept a clown goby and from purchase time to 2 weeks later, I had 6 SPS colonies without polyps, so I promptly removed him and polyps came back.

Just thought I would throw this in there. I have not read the full thread yet, just got to this piture and scanned through the rest to see if your polyps increased... but great review!

Thanks & Cheers,

Chris
I had basically the same experience with my clown gobby. He nearly killed several very healthy SPS colonies before I figured out what was going on. I moved him to the sump and things slowly returned to normal.