Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynuts View Post
any up dates on this skimmer. i,am hunting for a good skimmer.
tank is 24x24x20 but has a veiwing area of 24x18x20
thanks for the time.
I am still very pleased with this unit. Generates lots of bubbles but none get into the tank. Excess water leaves the bottom of the skimmer not through a hose attachment like some other skimmers. In the bottom of the skimmer a 2" deep piece of high density foam was installed. This is installed to catch bubbles before they enter the display tank.

I found that the supplied sponge was too dense and quickly got plugged with detritis. So I swapped it for a less dense sponge. It still catches bubbles but does not get clogged up. I find it still worthwhile to clean during every water change.

I am still trying to find the ultimate setting for this skimmer. I still have a fairly light bioload but I still want to generate more skimmate even if it is thin.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM

LeeR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LeeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I e-mailed Robert last night and he replied this morning stating he will send me a new diamond mesh wheel for $12.00, it is made out of some new material that resists the alkaline pH of salt water.

my mesh has pretty much disintegrated after just about 2 months
im going to e mail.. but i dont feel i should have to pay $12 to replace something that broke after 2 mounths...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacheteAvenue View Post
my mesh has pretty much disintegrated after just about 2 months
im going to e mail.. but i dont feel i should have to pay $12 to replace something that broke after 2 mounths...
I have been looking for Robberts email address but since Euro Reef is shutting down, I haven't been able to find it. I should have had it saved but I guess not.

This is Robberts new company which sells the exact Euro Reef nano skimmers as before:

http://www.nanoreefsystems.com/

But I don't think the website is very complete yet.

Let me know where you get with this because I also need to get new mesh. I know the alloy didn't last long for anyone so they were replacing it free with regular mesh but that was before Euro Reef shut down.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 PM

sent a "contact us" message on both euro-reef and nanoreefsystems.. hopefully i will hear back soon
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Robbert ended up calling me tonight actually to make sure I was still happy with the skimmer. Basically the new impellers are costing them a lot to buy and he is willing to sell to us at cost if your skimmer is still under warranty. Otherwise they are $37 each. Personally I don't mind paying the $12 but for sure some people will and that's fair. I bet Robbert will take care of you. Best customer service of any company in this hobby I have ever dealt with.

The website is very much under construction still and was just put up so something was there. Its not at all what the final product will be.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 AM

oh right on thats good to hear sorta.. i guess $12 isnt to bad but its still seems odd for a $200+ product to break after 2 months and have to pay to get it fixed... hopefully i will get a email soon
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacheteAvenue View Post
oh right on thats good to hear sorta.. i guess $12 isnt to bad but its still seems odd for a $200+ product to break after 2 months and have to pay to get it fixed... hopefully i will get a email soon
Yeah I do agree and I still think Robbert is the kind of guy who will replace it for free if you tell him that.

I probably should ask for a free one but I do understand his position and I know from talking to him a few times now on the phone that he is a great guy and wouldn't charge for the new impellers if there wasn't a big cost to him.

We talked a lot about the skimmers and boy does he know his stuff. He is a physicist and that is obvious. He is the brains behind all the great Euro Reef skimmers. He said the company was split by himself and his son. He will do the nano skimmers and his son will do all the big skimmers. So I think his sons new company is going to be pretty good! As well as his of course. I still think this little skimmer rocks other than the impeller issue.

He found that the high PH of saltwater caused the alloy to break down. The new impeller is a different material and will not break down. He liked the alloy better though and it is cheaper than this new material so they are working on a coating to put on the alloy so they can continue using it. The new impellers will only be temporary but he assured me its just as good...just too expensive long term to put in all the skimmers.

He also had some great stories about his new puppy and the rain in California and how drivers can't deal with it
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 AM

awsome sounds like a good dood. i cheacked out the nanoreefsystems webpage to. i really like that new bottem plate with the flow adjuster.

maybe me and you can save on shipping if he sends both at the same time?

haha id liek to see a caly person drive around vancouver on a day like today
Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 AM

well my mesh wheel exploded.. sorta glad i was right by my tank when it happend because the pump jamed from the shrapnel... i guess i would hhave had a fried pump too.. i guess its back to the tunze.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 AM

anyone else have there impeller disintegrate yet?... i still dont have a replacement... can anyone give me the guys e mail? so i can get one.

thanks,
lee