Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 AM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

It looks like the gorgonians on that rock contracted the gobies to build them a wall around their property. :P
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
Nice additions too your tank I was thinking about you today OA has a nice Majestic angel there a big one he must be at least 5" I thought he would fit in your tank quite well.
I was also at OA today. They actually had two of those Majestics. Ran into TomR at the same time...small world. I wonder how long it takes a Majestic to get that large? Mine is nice and fat, but isn't growing noticeably. (not like the Vlamingi, who I swear gets bigger every single day. He just passed the White Cheek Tank in overall size a few days ago)

I did start with one cleaner, but added the 2nd one quite a while ago. They split up frequently, so they both may have been there.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436

Last edited by untamed; 04-03-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
It looks like the gorgonians on that rock contracted the gobies to build them a wall around their property. :P
I have a couple of non-fishy friends that drop by regularly to see the tank and they thought I built the mound myself. They couldn't believe that the fish did it in only a few days.

They build so fast that they buried a large snail. When the snail decided to move out, it caused a collapse near their entrance. It was really amazing to watch them set about to repair it because they carefully selected large objects to fill the hole. The larger one grabbed a very large rock from some ways away and dropped it directly over the hole. The smaller one then manipulated that rock to test fit it a few different ways before they moved on to bury that rock with additional small rubble.

Another entertaining few minutes at the tank!
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 04-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Default Ca Reactor challenges

For some time now, I've been challenged to keep the tank's alkalinity up. Each time I noticed the alk falling, I would increase the flow to the reactor a bit. Eventually, I hit the max output of my pump (117ml/min)...and began to think..."this isn't right!".

My Ca/Alk usage shouldn't be extremely high...yet. My corals aren't large enough and there are lots of other tanks with much more coral that haven't max'd their Ca reactor.

One popular theory was that I was flowing so much water through the reactor that I was not allowing time for the media to dissolve. I began to measure the alk output of the reactor. My first reading was 13! (I was hearing other people had readings over 20).

So I began to turn the reactor flow down, and measure the output every day. I got right down to 65ml/minute and the alk had only increased to 14. No...this wasn't a flow problem.

So I started working on the pH. I dropped the pH of the reactor from 6.6 to 6.55...no change. I dropped the pH to 6.50, no change....

Then, I recalibrated my pH probe and dropped the reactor to 6.45. Alkalinity jumped to 24! As always, because I had done two things I don't know which solved the problem. I strongly suspect that the probe had become inaccurate.

Anyway...the lesson learned is.."Calibrate your reactor pH probe frequently".

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM

Default Routine day in the tank....

The gobies continue to make a remarkable difference to the overall look of the tank. My entire sand bed is now perfectly clean and tossed, all the time. The down side is that the water column is not as clear as before. There is always some very fine sediment being kicked up by the gobies somewhere. I'm hoping it clears out eventually, but I can live with it if it doesn't.

Twice now, the gobies (Bonnie and Clyde) have piled up the gravel so high that it starts to cover some corals on the lower rocks. They have smothered a couple of corals and some have had some die back.

Bonnie (the smaller one) gave us a bit of a scare recently when she disappeared for nearly 3 days. From what I've read, this might be consistent with breeding behaviour. It is possible that she would have disappeared for longer if her health had been enough to sustain her in her burrow. As is, it may have been a practice run.

Enough words...here's some pictures!

The Atlantic Blue Tang is really striking colour. It is really hard to describe, but I've come close to capturing it with this picture.

The dynamic digging duo....

Pitstop at the cleaning station...

Last edited by untamed; 04-30-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Atlantic Tang.
Mine has blue edges and just a hint of blue anywhere else, still very young.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Naso Tangs...

It would seem that I've got a thing for Naso Tangs. (I think it is those big doe eyes)....Here is my latest addition - Naso unicornis. I do hope he is a male, because I would love to see him develop a horn. I suppose I won't know for a year or so.

He doesn't nearly have the appetite of the elegans or the vlamingi. In fact, so far he has not shown any interest in nori at all. As a result, he's not packing on as much weight as I would like...but he seems to be doing OK on a diet of mostly formula 1, 2 and mysis.

Since I'm talking about Nasos...here's a shot of the three amigos. The really significant thing about this picture is the fact that the vlamingi (Freckles) is almost as large as the elegans (Moe). It was only almost three months ago that the vlamingi tang would have been 1/5 the size of the elegans (Moe). Between the two of them, they eat 1/4 sheet of Nori less than a minute....

Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Gorgeous tang collection..and the picture is beautiful!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Brad

If you get any more Tangs you will have to change your (untamed) to something like Tangs Unlimited.

Looks great Brad

Tom R
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 AM

The educated eye might have noticed the fourth Naso (literatus) in the background. I'm not allowing myself to get attached to that one as he/she is going to go to another home someday soon. Three is certainly enough.

I'm done with large fish. No more (fingers crossed). Even with 400 gallons of swimming room, you have to draw the line somewhere. The only fish left on the 'list' are some small coral gobies, and some very small affordable schooling fish (ie: food for the Lookdown!) I'm wondering if damsels will school if they are frightened enough....? These won't be added until the coral has grown up enough to offer protection.

The vision is to recreate what I've seen many times in THE aquarium, where the school hovers above a coral head and disappears into it when threatened.

Does that sound untamed enough, Tom?