Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Dreadful is on a distinguished road

well..

it was a lot of fun! but i think its good now!

since there wasnt much space between bulkheads i decided to just cut out an entire peice around them:

as you can see i didnt have a great assortment of tools so i just drilled a bunch of holes with the same bit.. not pretty but it works

i then painted the bottom of my aquarium black so the light wont shine through from the sump.. >_>

NO LEAKS this time.. my plumber friend came over and helped. I also made the plumbing disconnectable in case i need to clean it in the future!

the only problem i am having now is the noise level! i thought herbie setups were supposed to be quiet! there's a terrible suction sound happening from my emergency return line!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Much better

And as for the noise on emergency drain who cares as its only for emergency. Shouldn't be used other than that

Now that I look at pics why are two drains tied in together. This could be noise problem. Emergency needs to be seperate.

Last edited by Proteus; 06-25-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it looks like you have the emergency and main siphon drain tied together. You're main siphon is probably sucking air from the emergency drain. Those 2 pipes need to be run completely independent of one another and terminate under the water in your sump.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

really glad you redid the plumbing! I've used the drill bit method of making larger holes so many times it's embarrassing... and i use a regular small bit to make the big holes lol. But it works =)

At least fixing the herbie isn't going to be terribly hard. then it's on with the show.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:24 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

Using gate valve for better control.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Yeah, it looks like you have the emergency and main siphon drain tied together. You're main siphon is probably sucking air from the emergency drain. Those 2 pipes need to be run completely independent of one another and terminate under the water in your sump.
What he said. It will always echo up the back up drain when tied together, nothing much you can do about it, the pipes have to be completely separate.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 AM

now that i actually think about the way i did the drian it totally doesnt make sense at all.. if the clog happens anywhere under the T the system will still flood! how stupid of me LOL

at least all i have to do is cut and cap off the end and run a new line for the drain seperately.. shouldnt be too bad i guess
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 AM

i also did a little more research last night and found that my main siphon should be about 6" lower than my emergency line. so i've already drained the overflow box to fix that. shouldnt be much longer now till i have the system running i guess! just hate redoing stuff i should have researched more to begin with!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Ya, but it's something you'll never forget now

And yes, your main drain needs to always be completely submerged and low enough that it doesn't create a vortices in your overflow. The other pipe you are using for your safety should be about 1/2" or so lower than the maximum you want your tank level to be at. Not 1/2" lower than water overflowing your tank, but where you want you max height at. I found with mine I actually had to play with that one a bit to find the right height so that: 1) water wasn't running down it all the time,
2) low enough that it would act as a safety and not allow the water height to climb above a certain point even if I had a total blockage of my primary siphon.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Talking

alright, ive re routed the emergency drain and am happy to finally say the system is fully operational!!!

just started it up last night and i hardly had to do any adjustments with the ball valves

thanks all of you for your advice i couldnt have done it without you!