Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 PM

sharkbait is on a distinguished road

This is an incredible build! I love the incorporation of the stone. Can't wait to see it filled and running!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 AM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille
Default Actual System Volume Calculation

I used the actual inside measurements of the tank for this calculation.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Sump Design

Something that I have learned from my 140g system is that I don't have enough sump space for water changes, so I have to move a small pump from one side of the sump to the other to do a proper water change on my old system. So I was thinking about having the overflows from the new tank go into a reservoir tank (RT) and then dump into the sump from one end run to the other end and then return to the main tank. (Skimmer hooked to RT) So I went out looking on all the reef sites to see what other people were doing and I found this setup.(**pic below is not my system**) This is the same concept that I have thinking about except I would have my skimmer hooked into the overflow or this RT. The water would then dump into the main sump and travel through baffling/live rock/sand/return. The fuge may be the first section of the main sump with variable flow control, or a section in the RT....internal glass box with circulating holes?/1 led light........too much to think about at this point.

If anyone has this type of setup or if you have any ideas please throw them out here as this is a perfect time as I am designing this as you read this. The main thing is that I would like a RT that is large enough to do a quick water change. 1.5" valve on side/bottom of the tank to the sewer for dropping the water.....well you get what I mean. Thanks!

Photobucket
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Of, course, Dave is one person to look to for ideas
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 PM

Default Es355lucille & KissMyWrasse 365g Tank Journal, Continued!

Excited to be back. Job took me in different directions over the past while. Still busy with work and not home much....but ready to get this moving again. Parts found that I purchased last year!!! big smile on my face like a little kid finding presents under the tree at Christmas!!

I need a sump!!!! (Dave call me ASAP!!)

Happy to get time to read some posts. I see some new people and some old standards! nice to see. Hi to you all!!

Picture is recent. I have one spot that I need to add a piece of rock on the side of the bar area (far left of picture)...then outside is complete. This has all be completed for some time now.

Fish Room: I removed both furnaces and moved a new one to the corner. Removed the hot water tank and installed a tankless on the wall. So more room in the fish room!!

***Anyone convinced that LED's are the way to go yet? What brands? Models?

Photobucket
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 PM

Question ****LED Lighting Decision****

Guys and Gals,
I require your opinion on LED lighting.

I am running a 48" Sunbrite unit on my 140g at the moment. The only thing I am growing in the tank at this time are mushrooms. So the light works well for that..... and is programmable through my iPad.(another nice to have)

Now, I have a need to light my new tank which is 11' of tank x 26"D.

I need some help in deciding what lights to use. I have not researched this too much at this point, but I do know there are a few name brands out there to choose from. My first impression of LED lighting was "it looks nice" but did not work worth a Sh$t. I have seen comments of being too bright and not bright enough.

My goal is to find out more information from guys/gals using the LED lighting, in turn helping me to decide what will work in this large tank to support LPS and SPS corals.

**note: I do not require every sq inch to be illuminated perfectly, if there are a few areas of lower light intensity it will allow for a species that has a lower light requirement.

What would you recommend? Make/model? How many for 10'? thanks in advance.

Brad

Photobucket
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

I have Radion GEN 1 and they have worked very well for me for the last year and a half.. The set up is relatively easy and have had no major issues with either of them. It is also nice if you have Vortech powerheads..
If I was buying now and could afford them I would look at the Mitras and the New Radion .
Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
I have Radion GEN 1 and they have worked very well for me for the last year and a half.. The set up is relatively easy and have had no major issues with either of them. It is also nice if you have Vortech powerheads..
If I was buying now and could afford them I would look at the Mitras and the New Radion .
thanks for the info: I had to search for the Mitras......made by GHL correct? same guys who made my doser.

Photobucket
Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 AM

Razor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
I'm going with the Radions(G2) and a cpl of Vortechs with my new 180.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

I still say, if you want to grow SPS and have it colour up nice, T5 lighting is the way to go! I know know the hydro bill would take a hit but there's no comparison IMO when it comes to growth and colour.

Saying that, I think T5 with some Royal Blue supplemental LED lighting is even better! Gives that extra pop and shimmer that T5's can't provide.

If money is no object on this build, the new ATI Hybrid fixtures with LED and T5 lighting look freakin awesome!!!!

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...wermodule.html

By the way, your build is AMAZING! The finishing work is off the charts!!!