Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Yes I have cleaner shrimp, as for fish remaining 2 still look suspect, Niger Trigger and Copper Band, the 3 chromis are doing great, I small black angel appears ok, 2 wrasses seem ok and 1 gs maroon seems ok, lost one more clown earlier this am., Nitrates are a bit high as there are some corpses I havent been able to account for. Did a partial water change again yesterday, nitrates are reading about 30ppm. I think all I can really do right now is water changes and montor water conditions and feed. I cannot tear down this tank to try to catch remaining fish. I suppose if I want to sacrifice inverts I could treat with copper but that really isn't an option for me at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions and support from everybody.

Oh and the fatality count is 10 if I have counted correctly

Last edited by dsaundry; 05-03-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 AM

RD is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your fish, I'm sure that you're doing everything that you can.

Quote:
Ive got stuff to say about, and I can pretty much pick apart every article RD posted..... I will do that later.....first we need to help Darryl,s fish, who BTW have "always been on garlic" and still had a bad outbreak of ick.....hmmmmmmmm.......go figure????
Just so there's no further confusion on your part, I have never once suggested that garlic can eradicate marine ich. Not in this discussion, or any other. I simply responded to your personal opinion & provided some clear & concise proof that garlic does contain various bioactive compounds that can play a role in the immune response of fish, just as many other nutrients can, including vitamin c. I can't think of a single expert in the field of fish nutrition & health that would argue that point.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Ok people, the tank has been on the recovery trail since I first posted and it is really looking good again. two wrasse's, one gs maroon clown, two indestructible chromis were the only survivors as far as the fish went. They look really happy and healthy. The pod population is very healthy and the corals look great. I went through an algae bloom as well. But it seems all the corals for the most part made it through. This was without a doubt the worst crash{s} I have ever had and I hope I never go through it again. As some of you know my tank at work had a power bar fail and I lost all my fish there too. Most of the corals went to my tank at home{in a major hurry/panic} and are doing fine. I do wonder though if it was coincidence or something I may have done when I brought the corals from work home and introduced them into the tank when the one at work crashed. As I have said previously I have had bouts with ich before but never this severe. As I have gone over this CSI style I believe I may have caused this by introducing all the corals from the other tank so rapidly. The water perameters may have been stressed with all the chemicals and this may have affected the fish and their abilities to fend off the ich. I am only speculating as I did not change anything else and at the time was only having a minor algae issue on a couple of small rocks. I would be interested in any thoughts you all might have about this. But for now although its a long way from totm material I am happy with the recovery so far. I will try to post some pics soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

I had 2 bad ich breakouts. The first one was after adding a powder blue. The second one after getting live rock from someone who had ich in his tank.

Here's what I did/tried.

1) Kick Ich during first breakout. Only helped the stronger more resilient fish. No discernable effect on more susceptible fish like the Powder Blue or my Regal Tang. Seemed to only knock the ich back a bit but didn't get rid of it. Dosed with 2 big bottles for twice as long as recommended and even double dosed. No help. Powder Blue died.

2) During first break out I moved the Regal Tang to a quarantine tank and treated with Cupramine for 10 days. Ich cured. Obviously still present in display tank but Regal built up a good immunity to it.

3) Second break out. Killed a Royal Gramma and Sohal Tang. Treated Sohal with Cupramine but it still died. Decided not to dose the display tank with any other non-copper based meds. Regal Tang still had bad ich from new live rock from ich infested tank. Sailfin tang had a wee bit of ich. Soaked all food in Selcon and garlic extract and Vitamin C. Added an 18W UV sterilizer. Ich SLOWLY started disappearing. Been 6 weeks now and my Regal Tang has never looked healthier. No spots of ich...EVER now. Used to always have one or two spots.

UV sterilizer does not cure ich but it helps prevent a re-infection. All fish are sparkiling clean and haven't been healthier.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

I swear by garlic also for ich outbreaks and was curiouse if using garlic all the time meaning steady daily use could lead to a build up of immunity in the parisite? Super ich. Like a kid who had to much antibiotics or meds type of thing and develops a super bug immune to typical antibiotics?

Glad your fish are better!!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't give your fish garlic all the time. It's not good for their kidneys.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

I swear by garlic too but at a rate of 1-2 cloves of really fresh, crunched garlic per 10 gallons floating in a mesh bag in the sump. Replaced every 3 days. People think I'm nuts but it seems to work for me.