Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road
Default The remaining fish are home

The fish have come home!!!

I picked up the Niger, Pink Tail, Clowns and Yellow tang last night from Dr Kien.

They all look sooooo much better, by the time I acclimated them it was dark so I will get some photos up later.

I have to give a huge thanks to Kien and his family for looking after and treating the fish, without that assistance I am pretty sure I would be out the hobby.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Glad you have your fish back and it all worked out. And kien way to go...so incredibly nice of you to do all you did. Pretty sure not many people would have done it.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Not to put a damper on things but it's only been about 4 weeks since Kien took the fish from you. Velvet can last in your tank for 6-8 weeks (after you remove all the fish) there might be a possibility that the velvet is still in your system and your fish might re-catch it. I really hope this doesn't happen but I would of waited at least 3 more weeks before bringing them home. I waited 8 weeks before I added my fish back to the display when I had velvet, and even then I was scared they might re-get it. Thankfully they didn't, but everywere you read says to leave your tank fish free for a minium of 6 weeks because the velvet virus can live in the system for that long, even without fish to host on.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

KIEN....can you please tell me the dose you were doing of both the formalin and copper, and exact treatment regiment? I appreciate it!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Not to put a damper on things but it's only been about 4 weeks since Kien took the fish from you. Velvet can last in your tank for 6-8 weeks (after you remove all the fish) there might be a possibility that the velvet is still in your system and your fish might re-catch it. I really hope this doesn't happen but I would of waited at least 3 more weeks before bringing them home. I waited 8 weeks before I added my fish back to the display when I had velvet, and even then I was scared they might re-get it. Thankfully they didn't, but everywere you read says to leave your tank fish free for a minium of 6 weeks because the velvet virus can live in the system for that long, even without fish to host on.

+1 Minimum of 6 weeks, 8 weeks recommended.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM

flamer64 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Marine velvet is awful I lost 26 out of 34 fish to it last summer. I wouldn't of lost as many if I had acted quicker and sucked it up and set up the qt tank and did the copper treatment earlier. It was a HUGE PITA to catch that many fish out of two three feet tall 230g tanks, then QT them all and treat them in a 120g with copper for 2 weeks (doing 50% water changes every other day, so ammonia wouldn't spike) then let the displays sit empty for another 6 weeks but If I hadn't did it I would not of saved the eight fish that did make it, one of them being my prized king angel. My only regret is being to lazy not to have done it sooner and have had the possibility to save more of them.

Sorry to be blunt, but as I see it, you either try to treat your fish with copper or watch them all die. Keep in mind your rock and corals will be useless if you treat the display and the fish need the copper treatment for 2 weeks and be out of the display for another 6 weeks (if you didn't treat in the display) before the velvet is gone from the system. If it's not worth it to QT and save what fish you have left & if it's not to late for them already (MV kills fast) then know that you will need to wait 8 weeks after the last fish has died before adding any new fish to the display, this needs to be done in order to not infect the new fish with MV.

FYI even when you start copper treatment fish will still die during the 1st week. It wasn't until the 2 week of treatment before fish stopped dying on me.
Here's a link to my thread when my fish had marine velvet. Lots of good info in it and some graphic pic.'s http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...=marine+velvet
have follwed your story glad things are better keep your fingers crossed for us we are going through the same thing only looks like we are going to have a wipe out like you i dread getting up and coming home

colette an phil
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Any updates on the fish? Glad to see such a positive and helpful community on here, Kien is practically in it for everyone .
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

They are all doign well, they are fat round and happy.

I have not seen any signs of poor health so far so good.

Yup Kein was a fish saver forsure