Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

It will also help to make his mind work.
We taught our dog to sit at the side of the trail when we saw people approach. (it took a special treat - real chicken bits!)
He would have to sit until they went past. Some people will ask to pet him because at that point he will be "well behaved".
Keep the treat in your fist and low to the ground, make him work to get the treat it. They will pet and go on before he gets the treat.
Your walk will take longer, but it will make his little brain try to figure out what you are doing.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply but I kind of got busy and forgot about this thread! So much great advice. Some is along the lines of what we are doing, some is new.

I still run with diesel as much as possible but it never tires him out for long. He is a machine. I grew up with two German Shepherds, two Rottweilers and a Rotty/Bernese mountain dog X, who combined probably didn't have as much energy as this guy! I grew up on 200 acres though so the dogs had a lot of freedom

He is still relatively good at home but continues to have issues with socialization. I have to be honest too, I take him out much less now during the daytime or where there are a lot of other dogs simply because I can't handle the way he acts. I know this is really wrong but for the past few weeks I just can't deal with his whining and barking when he sees another dog.

He is starting a dog daycare twice a week on monday. So he goes in for 8-9 hours a day. The dogs are all in a nice big area together with lots of toys, a cool little playground and half of it is outside, so fresh air. They seem to take great care of the dogs and allow big and small dogs which I like. I didn't want him going to a small dog daycare which actually may not allow him anyways because I am hoping some of the older, big dogs can put him in his place.

We'll see how that goes.

I forgot to mention something funny. Today I was walking him past the big Vancouver Police Station near my place and there was a huge group of officers outside. Well Diesel decided he would bark as loud as he could at them! So embarrassing! They were cool though and just kind of asked if I wanted them to arrest Diesel and take him away. I said sure but I guess they didn't realize I was serious.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-16-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Good to hear Justin!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Glad he is behaving Justin!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

One thing I found that helps tire out my small dog (who has lots of energy) is a laser pointer toy. He love to chase the mysterious red dot all over the living room. He puts on quite a show for our guests and is so tired after that he behaves himself really well around them.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM

busypencil is on a distinguished road
Default puppy problems

You must realize that the decends from a pack mentality. You and your wife-girlfriend are the pack to the dog. No in a pack someone has to be boss. To be boss they have to be respected. Sometimes people get their emotions involved when they have a tendancy to think of the dog as a little person in their house hold and he is not. There are a few simple things you can do to get the idea across as to who is boss.
Food is usually the easiest. Do not leave his food on the floor for him to self feed. Then in his mind the floor is the provider and who are you that I have to respect.
When feeding the dog put food in a dish call the dog. At this time you have to have an idea in your mind of what type of behaviour you want as an end result. If the dog jumps up on you at feeding time this is disrespect, and the best way to treat this is to pivit to your right no talk no touch no eye contact. After all you are boss and he is nothing but a lower pack member. The dog will do what works and if jumping up gives him what he wants in his mind he will continue to do it. IF you responce to jumping is different such as turning away he will enitially try harder. Keep you responce constant. When he realizes it is not working he will stop. If he is hungry he will finally sit and stare at you. Bingo. Now he is willing to take direction from you. If he is trained to sit with one command ask no tell him to sit with conviction in your voice it does not have to be loud but not a plea. Once and once only. If he is not trained to sit mearly use the food to shape the behaviour first before introducing commands. By placing the food just over his head in such a way that he does not jump but is incline to sit to reach the food 2 inches out of reach. It is important at this time to praise as this is the indication reward is comming from this marked behaviour. Then lower his dish and allow the dog to eat. If he will not respond in the desired manner such as continue to jump or walks away he is not hungry enough so put food away for the day and try again next schedual. He will not starve so do not treat him. A time will come when he will understand you are leader and supply the food of life at which time you time your feeding after a sit when the dog is watching your eyes. Praise and reward (feed) You are now much more important in the pack and on your way for respect in other areas. I.E. Do not him lead you on the walk the dog in front is the leader. That is your place. reverse directions you may not go far in the first few walks but he will get the idea. You are first. Even through doorways he waits while you go through even if you have to go through backwards to ensure you go through first. Be consistant. I am sure the paper or kennels in your area can put you in touch with clicker training or other positive methods of training in your area.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 PM

I have to disagree with the use of laser pointers. Some dogs develop OCD like symptoms from chasing and object and never being able to catch it. However some dogs react negatively, and some dogs do not. With breeds such as mine, I just won't do it. Here is a link...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Laser-...Dog?&id=292320

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
One thing I found that helps tire out my small dog (who has lots of energy) is a laser pointer toy. He love to chase the mysterious red dot all over the living room. He puts on quite a show for our guests and is so tired after that he behaves himself really well around them.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I have to disagree with the use of laser pointers. Some dogs develop OCD like symptoms from chasing and object and never being able to catch it. However some dogs react negatively, and some dogs do not. With breeds such as mine, I just won't do it. Here is a link...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Laser-...Dog?&id=292320
I don't use it all the time, probably once every 2-3 months for maybe 15-20 minutes. We mostly pull it out when we have a large number of guests visit because it's pretty funny to watch my little dog and cat go crazy over it. I do agree that if it's being used all the time problems can arise from over use. I should add that so far my dog (I say dog because my little one is the only one who chases it, the 2 big ones could care less) hasn't developed any OCD symptoms from it. We originally got it for the cats but I know Gulliver will chase it.

Last edited by fishoholic; 01-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't worry too much Laurie... I don't think most people are aware that it can be a negative thing to their dogs. I don't know if it is bad for cats since they are a different animal then dogs. I used to have a laser pointer, and teased my dogs to odd time too. I noticed it frustrated them to be chasing something they never could catch, and I googled it. I gave you a quick link, since I am on dial up and it take all day to do anything right now. There is a lot to be read out there aside of just that one article.

I had a friend with a Pomeranian and she used to tease her with a pointer... one day the dog dug a hole right through the carpet and under lay, as well as the couch cushions because she was still looking for the dot after the pointer was put away. My friend was all upset at her dog, until I explained everything to her. The dog had never destroyed anything before... until the laser pointer was being used constantly as a game. I am sure glad my dogs did not dig a hole to China in my furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
I don't use it all the time, probably once every 2-3 months for maybe 15-20 minutes. We mostly pull it out when we have a large number of guests visit because it's pretty funny to watch my little dog and cat go crazy over it. I do agree that if it's being used all the time problems can arise from over use. I should add that so far my dog (I say dog because my little one is the only one who chases it, the 2 big ones could care less) hasn't developed any OCD symptoms from it. We originally got it for the cats but I know Gulliver will chase it.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I wouldn't worry too much Laurie... I don't think most people are aware that it can be a negative thing to their dogs. I don't know if it is bad for cats since they are a different animal then dogs. I used to have a laser pointer, and teased my dogs to odd time too. I noticed it frustrated them to be chasing something they never could catch, and I googled it. I gave you a quick link, since I am on dial up and it take all day to do anything right now. There is a lot to be read out there aside of just that one article.

I had a friend with a Pomeranian and she used to tease her with a pointer... one day the dog dug a hole right through the carpet and under lay, as well as the couch cushions because she was still looking for the dot after the pointer was put away. My friend was all upset at her dog, until I explained everything to her. The dog had never destroyed anything before... until the laser pointer was being used constantly as a game. I am sure glad my dogs did not dig a hole to China in my furniture.
Yikes! Good to be aware of for sure.