Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Melonbob is on a distinguished road

I'm from Ontario, so I haven't bought from you yet. I look at the site all the time though and I'm sure I will.

I would like to see quality dry rock such as eco rox, with interesting shapes and such you can really aquascape with.

I don't see on your site, but I also need 60" bulbs
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Matthew N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikehs View Post
Can you get in more Ora tank raised fish? I really want to find myself a captive pair of Banggai's, I dont recall you ever bringing those in yet? Any idea on what the price would be for them?
I second this!!! Please more captive raised fish!

And it would be nice if you shipped livestock via fedex. Then you don't have to order a ton of it to make it worth while.

Also I love these lights I find they work well and I would buy them from you if you had them. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php

Thanks

Matthew
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Quoted from the bottom of this page
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ages/about.php
Hey, I shop at JL almost daily, somtimes twice daily and in addition to that, I managed retail clothing stores for YEARS and let me tell you, you don't just walk into a store and say "hey, so and so has this item for 2 bucks cheaper so please give it to me for that price".

If the price is advertised or you can get an employee to call the other store and confirm, sure, but otherwise it's just a gimmick.

What about the local LFS who will wheel and deal for cash?
I can't go to JL and say that and expect to get a price match can I?

Come on people, some of you are coming off like you have more $$ than sense and I would LOVE to add you to my book of retail investors as I love a lazy spender.

JL is the best LFS IMO and while the competition ain't that stiff, they have knowledgeable staff who care about what they tell you and how it will affect your aquarium so I will remain a daily shopper there until that changes.

this thread was asking about what's missing at JL, they have great selection, great staff and FAIR prices that often are the best around and as someone who shops there a lot and carries a fair amount of both retail and marketing experience, I just thought I would chime in on how I thought they might be able to go the extra mile for their loyal customers and no, the best prices should be expected from any business who's looking for a repeat and not considered a reward by any means for any self respecting consumer IMO.

Go JL, shout out to the staff, they are you're best resource and literally the best in town, if you don't agree with customer loyalty rewards, how about bumping up the staff salaries a little for being so helpful, honest and genuinely knowledgable.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

While ORA does captive breed more fish, many of them actually arent available to canadians. And J&L does ship fedex on certain livestock usually inverts, but it voids youre live arrival guarantee.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
Hey, I shop at JL almost daily, somtimes twice daily and in addition to that, I managed retail clothing stores for YEARS and let me tell you, you don't just walk into a store and say "hey, so and so has this item for 2 bucks cheaper so please give it to me for that price".

If the price is advertised or you can get an employee to call the other store and confirm, sure, but otherwise it's just a gimmick.

What about the local LFS who will wheel and deal for cash?
I can't go to JL and say that and expect to get a price match can I?

Come on people, some of you are coming off like you have more $$ than sense and I would LOVE to add you to my book of retail investors as I love a lazy spender...

So lets see if I have this right, you drive around to all the stores to find the cheapest price so you can save a couple of bucks

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

1. Euro-reef nano-skimmer

2. Plumbing supplies: John guest fittings, also some of the harder to find pvc plumbing parts, whatever the pieces are you would need to hook up a calcium reactor to a return pump output, the parts for making a durso, parts for gate modding a skimmer, ball valves, unions etc. I have spent hours looking at home depot and plumbing stores for various parts, if you had a big bin of the commonly needed plumbing parts that would bring people into your store and they would buy something else while they were there.

3. Plug-in GFI's
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 10-08-2008, 02:22 AM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock169 View Post
While ORA does captive breed more fish, many of them actually arent available to canadians. And J&L does ship fedex on certain livestock usually inverts, but it voids youre live arrival guarantee.
For the record, we do not ship livestock via FedEx. Perhaps you mean that we ship via UPS Express (depending on the postal code). Live arrival guarantees are not provided.

I will say that I was very interested to see the request (earlier in this thread) for us to provide livestock shipping via FedEx. Perhaps this is something we will look in to in the future. No promises (my usual disclaimer) .

Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited by jlaquatics; 10-08-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling/grammar
Old 10-08-2008, 02:35 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

This is just my position on an LFS selling plumbing supplies:

I would NEVER pay LFS prices for plumbing fittings and supplies. Home Depot's prices are already ridiculous compared to wholesale prices from a plumbing wholesaler so I don't see it being worth while for an LFS (plus HD has a pathetic selection - don't shop there for fittings either). For example, last week I made a rack in my tank to support my SPS frags while I cooked my LR. I grabbed 10' of sch40 1/2" PVC, 8 x 1/2" sch40 PVC 90's, 8 x 1/2" sch40 PVC T's, and a 1-1/4" sch80 PVC 90 (for the output of my MCE600 so it would be gray in color) and it cost me all of $7. No LFS can afford to purchase wholesale plumbing supplies, display them and sell them at anywhere near those prices at a mark-up that justified the space they'd take up in the store in a bunch of bins sorted by size. That shopping list would have cost me around $30 or more at a LFS. If I walked into an LFS and saw them selling those fittings at that price I'd be a bit angry - not intentionally but just miffed that anyone would try to sell me something at 500% more than I should be paying for it.

Maybe some people can appreciate the convenience of getting those things at an LFS at a premium mark-up but I compare it to going to Safeway and buying a blender - they're not an appliance store and they should stick to what they do best.

An LFS is a great place to buy specialty plumbing supplies like Locline fittings but not your basic PVC fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
1. Euro-reef nano-skimmer

2. Plumbing supplies: John guest fittings, also some of the harder to find pvc plumbing parts, whatever the pieces are you would need to hook up a calcium reactor to a return pump output, the parts for making a durso, parts for gate modding a skimmer, ball valves, unions etc. I have spent hours looking at home depot and plumbing stores for various parts, if you had a big bin of the commonly needed plumbing parts that would bring people into your store and they would buy something else while they were there.

3. Plug-in GFI's
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"

Last edited by Canadian; 10-08-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
This is just my position on an LFS selling plumbing supplies:

I would NEVER pay LFS prices for plumbing fittings and supplies.
Agreed if you are buying lots of plumbing ie. the initial plumbing set-up for a whole tank.

However typically I am looking for just one piece. The same piece that 200 other guys probably want for their reef tank, and that the hardware store has never heard of.

I have wasted enough gas and hours driving around trying to find parts.

As an example I found a John Guest fitting I wanted at OA. They aren't going to make any profit selling me one John Guest fitting, but by having a few containers full of these fittings they are doing their customers a huge service and thereby earning lots of goodwill.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
So lets see if I have this right, you drive around to all the stores to find the cheapest price so you can save a couple of bucks
I really don't see where I said anything like that....